Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    is the ringer/silent switch on the top of a treo just a software switch? I was originally under the impression it cut *all* sound generated from any software, but I just found out kinoma video player is still playing sound with the switch set to silent.

Does that switch only affect the ringer, or is it supposed to silence everything?

(btw, kinoma player on the 270 is amazing - i still can't believe they squeezed a 1-bit audio track in with the video)

- Matt
    it's a software switch.
    The reason the Kinoma player still makes noise is that it's not playing MIDI files like everything else. It's feeding WAV audio directly to the piezo speaker. As a test, I hit the switch while playing a movie in TealMovie, and it froze my Treo 180. After rebooting, I hit the switch BEFORE playing the movie, and it played the audio just like Kinoma does. If this bothers you, then you can probably bug the Kinoma people about making sure that when the ringer switch is set to silent, that sound is muted in the player. I'm sure there's a preference that gets set somewhere that the player can check on before playing audio.
    Anyway, the switch obviously only affects MIDI playback (which is 99% of all sounds coming from your Treo).

-Greg
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Ahh, so it affects MIDI only. That explains it. Thanks Greg!

- Matt
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Hmm...if it's a software switch, it would be great to have an icon on the phone display for silent running. I sometimes switch my unit to silent and then forget to switch it back on later, which leads to missed calls. Anyone else have this problem?
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    "Anyone else have this problem?"

Actually, it's worse for me. I use Big Clock as my daily alarm clock (since I have to wake up at different times almost every day, and Big Clock allows you to set four different alarms).

I switch it to silent, forget to switch it back, then oversleep the next morning because my alarm doesn't make any sound. Not good.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    Speaking of Kinoma has anyone else had trouble using it with a mac? I can't convert any mpgs at all, just locks up after the naming of the movie screen.......
    Actually, it's worse for me. I use Big Clock as my daily alarm clock (since I have to wake up at different times almost every day, and Big Clock allows you to set four different alarms).
    UG, me too! I've gotten good at checking it every night before I go to sleep, though.