1.    #1  
    I'm not sure what just happened. I've sent plenty of SMS messages before. But when I tried to send one today, I got an error message that said I needed to put an SMS message center number in my Preferences.

Lo and behold, I checked my preferences and that line was empty. (The SMS email center number was still 500.) Shouldn't the SIM card fill it in automatically?

I found someone's SMS message center number on this board (+12063130004) and it worked -- for now. But I don't know if it's the right one I should be using for Voicestream in NYC.

Anyone know anything about this? How could this happen? Where can I restore the right message center number?
    It depends which carrier you're with, but judging from the number of the SMSC that you listed you're with voicestream.

The +12063130004 is the current SMSC w/ Voicestream.

You can always call VStream CSRs...
    Cingular:
    +12099042010 (West Coast)
    +17045020600 (East Coast)

VoiceStream:
    +12063130004

Rogers AT&T Wireless (Canada):
    +17057969300

Fido (Microcell - Canada):
    +15149931123

And the email center numbers for sending emails fom SMS are:
    And here are the SMS Email Center numbers for the major GSM carriers in the United States:

Cingular:
    121 (West Coast)
    111 (East Coast)

VoiceStream:

Rogers AT&T Wireless:
    0000000000 (ten zeros)

Fido (Microcell):

Source: http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...sType=RESEARCH
    The odd thing is the SMSC number should be stored on the SIM card - why was it erased?
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by MitzEclipse
    The odd thing is the SMSC number should be stored on the SIM card - why was it erased?
    Yes, that's the part I don't understand. The last time I used SMS, I was experimenting with VS Alerts and happened to send and receive SMS messages at the same time -- could that have somehow caused the problem?

At least now I know for sure that I reentered the correct number in my Treo. Do you think there's a way to restore it to the SIM card itself -- or will the SIM card pick it up automatically from the SMS preferences where I reentered it manually?
    Hm.. good question, but I think what happens is VS will send auto-updates to your phone to update info, such as SMSC, etc.. THe only way that will change is if you request VS to update the SMSC.

I have no idea why it was erased, but you can always call VS CSR's and talk to their tech support
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzeclipse View Post
    It depends which carrier you're with, but judging from the number of the SMSC that you listed you're with voicestream.

The +12063130004 is the current SMSC w/ Voicestream.

You can always call VStream CSRs...
    what is the SMSC for cricket wireless