Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is it me or does anyone notice that HP has not mention anything about smart phones.. We hear about tablet,toasters and even refrigerator,but nothing about phones. All opinions are welcome on this issue.
    I thought their was a statement saying something along the lines of: "We aren't getting in the way of Palm's current hardware cycle"

I'll try to dig up the link because while I don't mind WebOS getting ported to other devices, I only see having it on a phone myself.

edit:
    The word is that Palm's existing hardware roadmap is basically untouched at this point by this acquisition, but the good news on the HP end of things is that the company sees webOS as a "prized asset," and they intend to "scale it across multiple connected devices."

It's not exactly a full, unbroken quote from Rubenstein, but it may give you a glimmer of hope to hang on to.
    Palm will release smart phones, but I think a tablet will be out before another smart phone. If I were Palm, I would sit back, and just work on perfecting WebOS and release 2.0. Release that on the tablet market first (less competition) and then when it is nicely polished put it back on a phone.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    That's probably what I'd do as well. Perhaps a hardware refresh, but nothing major. As far as that goes, though, nobody's really saying how much power Palm still has to play with. It's entirely possible a whole new product could come out bearing a transitional Palm logo, while HP puts the money into porting WebOS to things other than phones for now.
    Not much they can say until the acquisition is completed...
    Quote Originally Posted by dfroelich View Post
    I thought their was a statement saying something along the lines of: "We aren't getting in the way of Palm's current hardware cycle"

I'll try to dig up the link because while I don't mind WebOS getting ported to other devices, I only see having it on a phone myself.

edit:
    The word is that Palm's existing hardware roadmap is basically untouched at this point by this acquisition, but the good news on the HP end of things is that the company sees webOS as a "prized asset," and they intend to "scale it across multiple connected devices."

It's not exactly a full, unbroken quote from Rubenstein, but it may give you a glimmer of hope to hang on to.
    Of course that could mean the existing hardware roadmap was empty and HP isn't changing that.

Just playing devils advocate, I expect a couple new devices from Palm this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    Is it me or does anyone notice that HP has not mention anything about smart phones.. We hear about tablet,toasters and even refrigerator,but nothing about phones. All opinions are welcome on this issue.
    My guess is you're getting a preview into Palm's future at HP. Most people don't know that HP currently sells PDAs and Smartphones (link) and that they have for close to a decade now. I hope HP didn't purchase Palm in order to jump start HP's otherwise unheard of handheld device division - not with Palm's recent mindshare track record.
    My bet is that Palm has had, sitting on a lab bench, a completed version of the mythical C40 for months now. But the financial situation is such that they couldn't put it out on the market. HP surely has seen the C40 (if it exists) and once the sale is complete, will push it to market ASAP. These build cycles are really pretty fast so expect it say 3-4 months post acquisition. Also someone at Palm has to have played with the idea of a pad/slate type device and would have a version that might be spread across a couple of benches with wiring and cables everywhere. Not really a prototype, but a proof of concept showing what could be possible. That's what HP probably is very excited about and wants to finish. I expect it to be announced 2 months post C40 release with a market hit date of 2-3 months past that.

So the timeline I'm expecting to see is:
    Acquire - start of changes.
    C40 announce - acquire + 6 weeks.
    C40 on market - acquire + 3 months
    slate device announce - acquire + 5 months
    slate on market - acquire + 8 months
    Author of Exch-Calc, Dog Years, Cat Years and all future creations of Pre-zy Software. Available in the Application Catalog.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    As the other post says there's nothing much to say until the buyout.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken M View Post
    So the timeline I'm expecting to see is:
    Acquire - start of changes.
    C40 announce - acquire + 6 weeks.
    C40 on market - acquire + 3 months
    slate device announce - acquire + 5 months
    slate on market - acquire + 8 months
    I honestly don't see palm waiting that long between announcment and shipping a product. They got burned by waiting too long to launch the pre after announcing it. If anything they would hold an announcment till a few weeks before launching a product. If anything I can see a C40 being announced by the end of July to early to mid August and having it out by the end of August to early September.

Also I can see HP wanting to get a tablet out ASAP before the market is flooded with andlets and to try and capitalize on the holiday buying season but would probably be able to do a longer wait between announcing and availability. So maybe announcing that at around the same time as the C40 but not having it to market till mid October. Now the tablet all depends on what palm already has done as far as design. I will put good money though that they are already past the design stage but are waiting till the buyout to roll into the prototype stage. I also will bet that they will want to launch with a carrier partner and since ATT already has the ipad and google is working with verizon on an android tablet that leaves Sprint and T-Mobile. Relations with Sprint may be strained after the boffed Pre exclusive launch but you never know, and I doubt that they would launch with T-Mobile simply because it seems like they live and breath Android.

Then again this is all my uninformed and uneducated guess so who knows.
    check my webos facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129304747081175

help me reach my goal to be the first non celebrity on twitter with 1 million followers http://www.twitter.com/darkproteus66

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    I know Palm was in trouble but people seems to forget that Palm sold its self this wasn't a take over. This means they sold on mostly their terms. I think Palm will continue to operate as a mobile smartphone company within HP. They will share the OS as a whole company pushing development. Palm will stick with smartphone part of things. I could even see retaining the branding saying Palm an HP company. Palm still have a roadmap they will continue to push that roadmap was of course shown to HP and of course they will continue to improve on it.
    OP HP doesn't care about smartphone they have Palm for that, they just want to connect the dots to complete their MOBILE experience now.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc31 View Post
    I know Palm was in trouble but people seems to forget that Palm sold its self this wasn't a take over. This means they sold on mostly their terms.
    You may not know this, but when you sell yourself to avoid bankruptcy, you don't really get to set terms. Ask Elevation Partners whose take on the deal ranges from an anemic 5% gain over 2+ years to a painful loss of up to $100 million depending on how you calculate it. The only terms you might manage to pull off is sustaining the original offer price through due diligence even as your company bleeds it's intellectual powerhouses like Duarte.
    HP set the terms not palm. As said above , when you sell yoruself to avoid bancruptcy you dont get to set the terms. I also am in the camp that thinks HP would be doing the right thing by perfecting WEB OS , realease a tablet this year , get there printer line ready and if it takes off release a new phone next year.

My opinion is that HP is going to release slates etc first . the aquisition really was about getting WEB OS for its Slates , printers . Cell phones are not the primary focus ( as they have said) . Like the new Palm commercials. its all WEB OS not the phone. the dude in the commercial has a PRE but you really dont see it. I think HP will update pes to 2.0 and keep the current hardware for the rest of the year. and if all go well they will have a new Web OS phone next year.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Told you so lol just kidding... the future of Palm and WebOS is looking good.
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    I, too, feel so smug now that the "HP bought webOS to kill competition for their winMo iPaqs and to put something on their upcoming line of toasters" crew has been proven wrong.

I'd be looking forward to the next Palm phone, but I'm only due an upgrade in late 2011 - so I'll probably jump the generation that'll be out this fall.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I, too, feel so smug now that the "HP bought webOS to kill competition for their winMo iPaqs and to put something on their upcoming line of toasters" crew has been proven wrong.
    You're kidding, right? What's been proven except that for the past 3+ months, the WebOS world came to a screeching halt waiting for this day, and all they announce are some platitudes about how great things are going to be (someday... maybe...). Only a real product announcement with planned release date would show how serious HP is about getting their game on in the mobile device business. Looks like business as usual in the HP personal devices division to me still.
    You guys need to watch the video on the front page of the interview with CTO Phil McKinney, sets all of you doom sayers straight.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    You guys need to watch the video on the front page of the interview with CTO Phil McKinney, sets all of you doom sayers straight.
    Something more than the usual glittering generalities and pointless platitudes would go a long way towards convincing skeptics like me that HP isn't just business-as-usual with this merger too.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    You're kidding, right? What's been proven except that for the past 3+ months, the WebOS world came to a screeching halt waiting for this day, and all they announce are some platitudes about how great things are going to be (someday... maybe...). Only a real product announcement with planned release date would show how serious HP is about getting their game on in the mobile device business. Looks like business as usual in the HP personal devices division to me still.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Something more than the usual glittering generalities and pointless platitudes would go a long way towards convincing skeptics like me that HP isn't just business-as-usual with this merger too.
    yea it is business as usually for HP why not but the biggest thing proven at least from the CTO comments is that Palm is now basically HP's entire mobile unit. So it will be business as usual with Palm also but now they have a **** load of money they didnt have at first.
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Kupe is right--the skeptics won't be convinced until a new phone is announced with a timetable. And it would behoove Palm to make an announcement soon, especially if they have a 4G phone in the works.

However, I have to say, anyone who questions HP's commitment to webOS at this point is simply choosing to ignore the facts. Developers shouldn't question whether the platform is going away any time soon. It's not.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast