1.    #1  
    Hi all,

This is what I want the next gen Pre to be made of!

A roll up or bendable screen that can be flipped open to double or triple the size of the screen, along with a nice sized keyboard. . A bendable screen would allow for a very small smart phone when closed and a large size screen, when opened.

I also included an article form Bright Hand, with a fold up screen along with photos.

Take care, Jay

PS. make sure you go to the link, after the second article, as it shows color pictures of the roll up screen. The second article is just over 2 years old. My guess is that the technology for the product discussed, was not ready until now.........Jay

May 26, 2010 7:59 AM PDT
    Sony unveils ultrathin rollable OLED
    by Candace Lombardi

Sony unveils ultrathin rollable OLED | Crave - CNET

Sony on Wednesday unveiled a flexible OLED (organic light-emitting diode) display so thin it can wrap around a 4mm cylinder--roughly the diameter of the average pen or pencil.

The 80 micrometers-thick OLED display (about the width of a human hair) can continuously display moving images even while being rolled up, as Sony demonstrated in a video below.

The working flexibility is possible because engineers have managed to lose the rigid driver IC chips usually used in the substrate of a screen in exchange for a gate-driver circuit with OTFTs (organic thin-film transistors), according to Sony.

The 4.1-inch display, which has a resolution of 432x240 pixels (121 pixels per inch), is not for sale. It's simply a research prototype Sony said it hopes to one day incorporate into products such as screens in mobile devices. Full demonstrations of the screen will be given this week at the SID (Society for Information Display) 2010 International Symposium in Seattle.

The consumer electronics giant has been at the forefront of this technology, showing one of the world's first flexible OLEDs in existence at CES 2009, as CNET has reported. That screen was .2 millimeters thick.

Of course, Sony is not the only one experimenting with thin and flexible screens.

In April 2009, Dai Nippon garnered much attention with its flexible and seemingly animated posters for the Rakuten Eagles, a Japanese baseball team. The screens incorporated both energy-saving OLEDs and LEDs.

GE has also been working on ultrathin OLEDs, but in an effort to apply the technology to its lighting products. In March 2008, GE unveiled thin and flexible lighting OLEDs that can be manufactured in rolls akin to newspapers on a printing press.

FOLDING SCREEN FROM BRIGHT HAND

Smartphone with Folding Screen Coming Later this Year
    BY: Ed Hardy, Brighthand.com Editor
    PUBLISHED: 1/24/2008

Smartphone with Folding Screen Coming Later this Year

Polymer Vision has announced that its first device with a rollable display will hit the market by the middle of this year.

The Readius will include the features people have become accustomed to in a high-end phone: tri-band GSM with HSDPA support, email, MP3 player, SD card slot, etc.

But it will also include something definitely not available on other phones: a 5-inch display flexible enough that it can be folded up, making the whole device roughly the size of a typical smartphone.
    This screen uses technology that has been developed by Polymer Vision. This eInk-type display has several advantages -- it doesn't require a backlight, for example -- but has one significant drawback: no color. Instead it will offer 16 shades of grey.

This will not be a touchscreen. Instead, this phone will be controlled through 8 buttons. Exactly how this will work is not yet clear.

"People are demanding greater choice and flexibility in having overall instant access to personal content and information" said Karl McGoldrick, CEO of Polymer Vision. "They do not want to be concerned with small screens, not being able to read in sunlight, a dead battery or a device being too bulky to carry in their pocket. Readius solves these worries and is generations ahead of anything else out there today".

More Details on the Readius

Because of its unique display, Polymer Vision is emphasizing the Readius' usefulness as an ebook reader, but its feature list doesn't end there.

It will be able to get email from POP3 and IMAP accounts, and play MP3s. However, because of its slow screen refresh rate, it will not be able to play video.

To store ebooks and music files, the Readius will have an SD card slot with SDHC support, allowing it at least 8 GB of capacity.

What operating system this model will use has not yet be revealed, but it will run on a 400 MHz processor and include support for ActiveSync.

This smartphone will be 4.5 inches tall, 2.25 inches wide, and 0.8 inches thick (115mm x 57mm x 21mm). It will weigh 4 oz. (115g)

Because it doesn't need a backlight, this phone will allow users to read for at least 30 hours on a single charge.

Polymer Vision is not saying yet what the Readius will sell for.

http://www.brighthand.com/assets/5734.jpg
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    400MHz processor? nothx.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetnessinfall View Post
    400MHz processor? nothx.
    lol... If you look, that particular article is from Jan 08. As a whole though... the concept is a cool glimpse into what could happen down the line with screens. A webOS device with a cutting edge large folding screen would make other phone users jealous
    Remember those cellophane roll-up "mood meters" that would uncurl in your hand? Your Palm could read your palm
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    lol... If you look, that particular article is from Jan 08. As a whole though... the concept is a cool glimpse into what could happen down the line with screens. A webOS device with a cutting edge large folding screen would make other phone users jealous
    Hiya, You hit the mail on the head! It is a concept idea, that with updated processors, I would love to own! Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I believe this technology will be affordable and effective in 2 years from now. Definitely not this year.
    what about right-hand ppl
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetnessinfall View Post
    I believe this technology will be affordable and effective in 2 years from now. Definitely not this year.
    HI,

I agree with you, Moore's law will make it affordable in about 2 years. This is just exactly why, I am so pleased that HP bought Palm. Palm can work on way out there pro types and futuristic products, now that they have deep pockets with Palm.

Plus a roll up screen has plenty of applications, that are not associated with smart phones and hand holds. Therefore, this tech would also work for HP.

For example: Instead having a huge flat screen, in your den or living room. You could have a roll up TV, such as how a movie screen rolls up. The roll and mechanism, could be placed on the ceiling and lower, as needed. I know they make movie screens that electronically lower, I would love to see OLED's do the same!

Take care, Jay
    There was a show a few years ago called "Earth: Final Conflict". In it they used cell phones very similar what we are talking about. Here is what I'm talking about.

http://www.technovelgy.com/graphics/...l-conflict.jpg

Sure was ahead of it's time even then.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by mech1164 View Post
    There was a show a few years ago called "Earth: Final Conflict". In it they used cell phones very similar what we are talking about. Here is what I'm talking about.

Hi, I remember the show, It was based on a series of scripts that the late Gene Roddenberry wrote, that were unsold, after his death. It aired,1997-2002, his widow Majel Barrett, (who is now also deceased) and their son produced them.

All of his shows, were way ahead of their times in terms of tech. The I am
    54, I remember the original Star Trek airing, (1966-1969), using a communicator, which is larger than todays flip cell phones.

I also lived walking distance from the '64-'65 World's fair. My uncle worked as an electrician there, so we got in for free all of the time. The big show stopper was AT & T, showing off touch tone cell phones and the very beginning of fiber optics.

Thanks for digging up the pic.

take care, Jay
    Awesome!! Thanks for the reminder guys. I used to LOVE that show. I am a true Sci-Fi nerd and I watched 95% of all aired sci-fi series. I think I will start a thread to discuss!
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Awesome!! Thanks for the reminder guys. I used to LOVE that show. I am a true Sci-Fi nerd and I watched 95% of all aired sci-fi series. I think I will start a thread to discuss!
    Hi, Me too, only I like out of space Sci Fi. For example, I loved the New Battlestar, but Caprica is too boring, as it takes place more or less now & to me, Caprica is earth!

take care, Jay
    So then is the Pre the first Cylon?
  14.    #14  
    LOL....or is that a Prelon! LOL, take care, Jay

If they made a Pre that looked like Cylon Number 6 or 8... I'll take a few!

Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi, Me too, only I like out of space Sci Fi. For example, I loved the New Battlestar, but Caprica is too boring, as it takes place more or less now & to me, Caprica is earth!
    Gotta agree that Caprica is pretty boring. But I've watched and given it a shot because I loved what the producer, David Eick, did with BSG.... this last season finale was the first show all season that was actually not boring. I hope that was the turning point for the show to now make it bearable.

Actually... I'd like him (David Eick) to bring back the Bionic Woman remake the aired for a few weeks. It was actually a very good show that was up against BSG.

Anyhoo... sorry to go off topic there.
    Back to making the Pre look like one of the cool Future phones!
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 05/26/2010 at 11:33 PM.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    If they made a Pre that looked like Cylon Number 6 or 8... I'll take a few!
    LOL, hahahah

Gotta agree that Caprica is pretty boring. But I've watched and given it a shot because I loved what the producers did with BSG.... this last season finale was the first show all season that was actually not boring. I hope that was the turning point for the show to now make it bearable.
    Sad we have to hope that it becomes bearable!

I like the idea, but how bout this:

You have a black berry bold style phone, but make the side slide out, so you could also have a huge screen.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    I like the idea, but how bout this:

You have a black berry bold style phone, but make the side slide out, so you could also have a huge screen.
    hi all,

OK, I sure hope they are taking orders right now!

Take care, Jay