Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    288 Global Posts
    Anyway after the lecture in economics. OP needs to do a lot of research into what he/she wants in a cell phone. Do you only want a e-mailer, messenger and a texting device that can play media, some games and can surf the web but not as good as the other guys. Then your answer without a doubt is a BlackBerry. No other device is as good at messaging, texting and e-mailing. Not as fast or as good. Don't even try to argue the point. Do you want a superior gamer, media player and web surfer all in one, but a device what can't truly multi task, or e-mail leaves something to be desired, or the notification system that is the worst of all of the current smart phones, but has a plethora of apps, then iPhone is for you. Even the iPhone 4.0 won't multitask like BB or WebOS can. Then we come to a mixture of the two above extremes, Android and WebOS. WebOS is the more polished of the two IMHO. I have owned all of the above, so I have some experience in this. The app store of Android kills anything but the iPhone. And give it some time and it will surpass the iPhone for total number of apps. But as has been said before how many of the 200k or 50k apps are worth a flip? Not many. The BB and WebOS lag in this department. But WebOS is built on a easy platform to program for. BB has more apps than WebOS now but that may change soon. But for free apps, you would have to go with Android or iPhone. I like the notification system of WebOS more than anything but BB. iPhone will pop up a window whenever it wants to notify you of something. No matter where you are are what you are doing, that window will pop up and force you to deal with it. BlackBerry has little icons that appear at the top of the screen and that ever addicting flashing red LED. Trust me that red LED will rule your life. Because whenever it flashes you will be drawn to it to find out what caused it to flash. They don't call BlackBerries CrackBerries for nothing. Android has a drawer up top that you have to pull down to see what is in there. And EVERYTHING is in there. Your downloaded apps, your missed calls, your e-mails, your messages, your tweeds, your....you get what I'm saying. You have to address them one at a time or dismiss the all at once. WebOS puts the notifications at the bottom of the screen, you can act on then or swipe them away one at a time. This is the best way of dealing with notifications, save for BB that only uses little icons. WebOS and Android use WebKit browsers like Apple does and like BB 6.0 is suppose to. So on web browsing all should be the same. Media to me is just about the same on all. All I care about is a easy to use interface that is fast. Apple is the standard here, quick and a lot of flash, pictures, video, album art, etc. BB gets the job done which is fine for me. I don't need all the flash, I just want a pleasant experience and a interface that allows me to quickly do what I want to do. My Hero has a good interface but is way too laggy to be acceptable. But again my Hero has a sub par processor, I'm sure the 1GHz snapdragon can keep up with anything. The Pre I can't remember so may be someone else can chime in. So to me the best of all worlds, present and future is WebOS. But to get last years technology and use up a upgrade that you might be able to use in a few months, IDK. I'm in sorta of the same boat as you. I don't want to use my upgrade on AT&T for anything cuz I want to ditch them. But I might get the iPhone 4.0 and sell it on eBay for more than my ETF would be. I'm not due for an upgrade on Sprint (yes I have 2 providers, long story but I got Sprint thinking I'd just switch my wife over but I under estimated her blind love for the iPhony errrr iPhone.) Soooo, I'm looking for a Pre on eBay I can steal for cheap. Look at what you want, what you will really use. For quite a bit of people BB is the winner. But to me the best of all worlds is WebOS. And if new hardware is coming then that will make it even better.
    Last edited by cajunrph; 05/26/2010 at 09:03 PM.
    Global Posts
    288 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Look at all the complaint with current Pre users out there. You can't just ignore them and pretend that there's no issue with Pre. And call webOS is the best OS out there. Yes, every device has issues and people cries about it on their forum, but complain about Pre just out weight any devices out there.
    Most complaints about the Pre are Hardware related. If the Pre came out with solid hardware, we would not be looking at a HP takeover. Palm would be rocking and rolling all the way to the bank. WebOS was very very very strong for a 1.0 version. Yes it had some faults but most of the complaints were hardware related, not the OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrph View Post
    . I'm in sorta of the same boat as you. I don't want to use my upgrade on AT&T for anything cuz I want to ditch them. But I might get the iPhone 4.0 and sell it on eBay for more than my ETF would be.
    remember at&t will raise the etf fee to $325 after june 1st.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Most complaints about the Pre are Hardware related. If the Pre came out with solid hardware, we would not be looking at a HP takeover. Palm would be rocking and rolling all the way to the bank. WebOS was very very very strong for a 1.0 version. Yes it had some faults but most of the complaints were hardware related, not the OS.
    I don't know that its ever been established that its hardware or software or both.

Certainly there were some clear hardware issues, but who knows (or more accurately, I sure don't know) if the lagginess, the TMC, and the restarts were because of under spec'd hardware, or because of inefficiencies in way the software works.

And clearly, there were software issues from it just missing really basic features.
    Last edited by finngirl; 05/26/2010 at 11:27 PM.
    there's alot of software issue as well, and lack of features.
    I had to change my Pre Plus twice before it was a month old. It was all IS issues. Now I just live with the limitation or just try to avoid the issue I still have.
    And my biggest problem is the battery life. It down right SUCKS. There's guide to increase the battery life but it basically I have to turn my data off from my phone, hell NO. I am not paying extra 30 dollar to use it like a dumb phone.
    some of your f@anb0y will say either all smartphone battery life sucks or my pre battery life is awsomw. First, most smartphone battery sucks but this is by far the worst one in the market. Second, if you have good battery life, you are the minority.
    I disagree, with good hardware they would have deleted one reason for failure and made the hardcore fans happy, but it never generated the requisite BUZZ. I am in grad school and in my 40s - I never saw a Pre in the wild. If you can't penetrate the youth market or the business market you are DOA.
    As per NYSE, the top five U.S. publicly-traded companies, based on full market values, are:
    1. Exxon Mobil (XOM) - $283.06B
    2. Apple (AAPL) - $227.10B
    3. Microsoft (MSFT) - $226.72B
    4. Wal-Mart (WMT) - $189.57B
    5. Berkshire hathaway (BRKA) - $175.76B

In case you're still in doubt, check the link;
    Apple Overtakes Microsoft in Market Capitalization (Update3) - BusinessWeek
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    We pretty much already know what's coming with the iPhone 4G.

- Multitasking
    - Front facing camera
    - Probably the new chip that is used in the iPad (incredible battery life..)
    - iTunes cloud (ability to access your entire music library from anywhere)
    - Possible new carrier(s)
    - And other possible unannounced stuff.

I don't think multitasking is the proper term for what it'll have. It is still very gimped.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    webos has the best notifications and multitasking of all the phones. I have used both android and webos, webos has a ton more game support than android. Also the games on android do not run well on all the phones.
    And how are those great WebOS games running on the Pixi? Seems like "games on WebOS do not run well on all the phones."
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    I've moved from iPhone 3GS to a Nexus One on T-Mobile and then I tried out a Pre Plus on Verizon for about 2 weeks. WebOS is by far the best blend of polish and capability of the 3. I had two problems that I couldn't overlook, which forced me back to my Nexus One on T-Mobile. Number one was the battery life. I know a lot of people on this forum will make apologies for the Pre's battery life by saying that all smartphones have battery issues. Just not true, the Nexus One and especially the iPhone KILL the Pre when it comes to battery life. I can take my Nexus One with me, browse, listen to music, leave Wifi and GPS on and come home at 4:30 with 70% battery, and I live in an area where my Nexus One is constantly switching between 3G and EDGE. The Pre was down to that level by lunch, and this was with a constant 4 or 5 bar 3G signal the whole time. I followed all the recommendations here to improve things, but it still just didn't stand up. Number two was the stupid Verizon aGPS problem. I know this isn't a Palm issue (presumably), but to me, it severely affects the usability of so many applications that it's impossible to ignore.

So, long story short, I'm back on T-Mobile with my Nexus One until someone (hopefully Palm) comes out with something better. I REALLY wanted to keep the Pre Plus, but those two issues were just too much. The good thing is, I'm using an unlocked Nexus One with one of the contract-free plans from T-Mobile, so if Palm releases something new, I can jump to it right away.

--Matt
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    A new handset is great and all, I'm just wondering if we'll see webOS 2.0 with it. Are we gonna see a 'major' bump in features or is Palm going the Android route, releasing the new handset with webOS 1.5 or 1.6..?

Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    who cares about whose stock is worth more. It has nothing to do with the topic.
    Don't worry, it's just an Apple marketing bot spamming the forum..

http://forums.precentral.net/search....duser&u=237524
    Quote Originally Posted by mpfef View Post
    I've moved from iPhone 3GS to a Nexus One on T-Mobile and then I tried out a Pre Plus on Verizon for about 2 weeks. WebOS is by far the best blend of polish and capability of the 3. I had two problems that I couldn't overlook, which forced me back to my Nexus One on T-Mobile. Number one was the battery life. I know a lot of people on this forum will make apologies for the Pre's battery life by saying that all smartphones have battery issues. Just not true, the Nexus One and especially the iPhone KILL the Pre when it comes to battery life. I can take my Nexus One with me, browse, listen to music, leave Wifi and GPS on and come home at 4:30 with 70% battery, and I live in an area where my Nexus One is constantly switching between 3G and EDGE. The Pre was down to that level by lunch, and this was with a constant 4 or 5 bar 3G signal the whole time. I followed all the recommendations here to improve things, but it still just didn't stand up. Number two was the stupid Verizon aGPS problem. I know this isn't a Palm issue (presumably), but to me, it severely affects the usability of so many applications that it's impossible to ignore.

So, long story short, I'm back on T-Mobile with my Nexus One until someone (hopefully Palm) comes out with something better. I REALLY wanted to keep the Pre Plus, but those two issues were just too much. The good thing is, I'm using an unlocked Nexus One with one of the contract-free plans from T-Mobile, so if Palm releases something new, I can jump to it right away.

--Matt
    I used to have the same problem with battery life on my sprint Pre. I ended up turning my screen brightness all the way down to the minimum and the battery lasts all day now with bluetooth. Using GPS though drains the hell out of the battery. I hope the new device has a larger battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    A new handset is great and all, I'm just wondering if we'll see webOS 2.0 with it. Are we gonna see a 'major' bump in features or is Palm going the Android route, releasing the new handset with webOS 1.5 or 1.6..?

Don't worry, it's just an Apple marketing bot spamming the forum..

http://forums.precentral.net/search....duser&u=237524
    Pizza Hut Pizzowned
    did you look into getting an exteded battery? Not sure what you did with your phone, but mine lasts ALL day with the mugen 1400...and if by chance there's a bad day, pop in originally battery and off I go.

try that with the iphone.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    try that with the iphone.
    I think his point is that you wouldn't need to switch batteries with the iphone since it lasts all day.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Like I said, I tried all the 'battery tricks' - had the screen turned all the way down, etc. Point is, these phones are capable of a lot, and to expect people to turn off features or not use things in order for the battery to last just isn't acceptable FOR ME. Especially when there are options out there that can deliver better performance.

Now, if Palm introduces a new phone with better battery life, I'll be all over it.

--Matt
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I think everyone just needs to accept that we won't hear anything until either
    1. two weeks after the Pixi launches on AT&T on the 6th
    or
    2. after the merger goes through.

I know I'm not the only though that hopes to see some sort of rumor as the title when you open up precentral, just to be let down.
    Soon enough though, it will come..... I take that back, not soon enough, but sooner than later.
    Crap, my crystal ball broke
    I posted this somewhere else. The Sprint pre/pixi have been off Best Buy for at least a few days now - what gives?

Also the Pixi 'sale' - free at Sprint ends 5/29.

Is Best Buy just making shelf space for the EVO - and maybe iphone or is something else afoot?

If there is a NEW model I agree we are not likely to here anything until Post Att, but I still struggle with why Palm would wait until after EVO launches - unless
    - they are counting on the 30 day give back angle OR
    - they have not much to offer OR
    - HP said sit tight.

If they are sitting tight why is Best Buy discontinuing Sprints only Palm phones?
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by funkmeisterbrau View Post
    I posted this somewhere else. The Sprint pre/pixi have been off Best Buy for at least a few days now - what gives?

Also the Pixi 'sale' - free at Sprint ends 5/29.

Is Best Buy just making shelf space for the EVO - and maybe iphone or is something else afoot?

If there is a NEW model I agree we are not likely to here anything until Post Att, but I still struggle with why Palm would wait until after EVO launches - unless
    - they are counting on the 30 day give back angle OR
    - they have not much to offer OR
    - HP said sit tight.

If they are sitting tight why is Best Buy discontinuing Sprints only Palm phones?
    My guess is the Evo. A friend that works there told me this is the most preorders he's ever received.

I was thinking about the Evo, but I'm hoping HPalm will come out with something that will rival the Evo and iPhone 4g (doubt it'll blow them out the water). Since I prefer webOS, I'll stick with my Launch day Palm Pre.
    I decided I'm finally going to try installing patches, make it seem like a new phone somewhat. Hopefully it'll give it some sort of new life. I've had no real problems with the phone, but as someone previously mentioned, there are phones coming out soon with are bigger and better. Hope the "C40" turns out to be the bestesest tho.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast