Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    <<Thread Renamed>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Here's another way to look at it. You've waited a year into the current model. If you buy that current model, and something new comes out in 6 months, you would only have to wait another 6 months before being eligible for it.
    Buy a Nokia n900, then sell it when the next WebOS device comes out. Best device on the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Here's another way to look at it. You've waited a year into the current model. If you buy that current model, and something new comes out in 6 months, you would only have to wait another 6 months before being eligible for it.
    Good point.

My 2 cents, palm will not be releaseing a updated webOS phone device anytime soon for the following reasons; 1. Hp is in the process of buying Palm, you will not see any new products come out while this is happening. 2. Zero information has come out in regards to future devices only rumors, and if your going to count rumors it will be a tablet device of some sort not a phone. 3. If a new phone device was on its way, palm/hp would have made it known considering the evo launch and iphone launch. They are here to make money, they choose to lose money by not giving any tidbits. They have a "product" road map but have given zero information on it.

The palm pre is a excellent phone, yeah it doesn't have the greatest hardware on it to todays standards, but when you look at it. Is hardware really the important factor, this phone virtually has zero limits in terms of what it is capable of doing on its current hardware. The thing that holds this phone back is its os (software) which can easily be changed and is in the process of it. New features come out quite often for this phone, take a look at the video recording that was in homebrew before it came out to the public os, now we have audio recording. I can only see mic api's coming out here with the next couple updates.

The operating system is in its jurior age. It will develope into a mature os, my only fear is, for current adopters it may take too long to do so. By the time it does it may get overtaken by the other platforms and never truely take off.

Ehh, Im holding back updating to the evo due to there 4g data fee, and 29.99 hotspot pricing. And the iPhone 4G, very tempting, but I love the open nature of this OS, never used a iphone but I see nothing but a closed platform. What other company out there gives FULL support to homebrew developers. Hell, Palm practically ENDORSED patching, in a recent presentation.
    Normally it is cheaper to have one standard version.

ie. all w 512mb ram / 16 gb storage / better keyboard ...

Did they really produce so many that Sprint has a massive unsold inventory?

As a Sprint customer and Pre fan I would think having the latest at Sprint might keep a few owners onboard. (ie. help them ignore the EVO/iphone Siren's call) This would have nothing to do with HP merger.

Verizon 'exclusive' is over.

What gives?
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    We pretty much already know what's coming with the iPhone 4G.

- And other possible unannounced stuff.
    That made me laugh a bit.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Personally, the only reason I'd get the Pre Plus at this point would be if you prefer a physical keyboard.

If you're looking at Android and you're stuck with AT&T, try out the Nexus One. It's a great device.

Don't get me wrong, my Pre has served me well for the last year or so and I've been very happy with it, but there are newer, better phones out now. Might as well take advantage.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darktanone View Post
    While I respect your opinion, I must call you out on the fact that Apple is a much larger and more innovative company than HP. It is second only to MS and the third largest American company and still growing. Exxon/mobil holds the top spot.
    How are you basing size? Take a look at the Fortune 500. Exxon/Mobile is number 2 on the list. GE is 4. AT&T is 7. HP is 10. Verizon is 13. Microsoft is 36. Dell is 38. Apple is 56.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Current Pre hardware is solid if you compare to the smartphone from a year ago. But you can't possibly compare our phone to the current phone like Incredible, EVO, or even 3GS.
    WebOS is good but I can't say it's the best OS. Yes, it has potential to become best OS, but not right now. I think it's still in baby stage, which is great thing.
    Buy something else now and wait for the phone that HP makes in the future with perhaps WebOS 2.0+
    I'll give you the incredible and evo, but it has the same processor and gpu as the iphone 3gs and twice the ram (512 mb on pre to 256 mb on 3gs). If you need the absolute fastest and greatest devices out now, then you would be looking at andriod and maybe the next iphone (we don't know yet how powerful it is yet).
    The palm pre plus is more powerful than any phone released last year (iphone 3gs, droid, hero, mytouch, storm, N97) and so far is only beat by 4 phones this year (Nexus1, incredible, EVO, and HD2)
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I'm in the same boat as the OP. My AT&T contract is up at the end of June and I'm shopping around for my next phone. This will be my first smart phone. My current phone is an LG Shine. From the reading and video watching I've done, I LOVE webOS. Were I to buy a new phone now, it would be between the Pre Plus and the HTC incredible. The only thing that would keep me from buying the Pre Plus over the HTC is the fact that it's not quite current in its hardware specs. I've yet to play with either phone hands on, but the look and functionality of webOS is MUCH more appealing to me than Android/Sense. The other thing the Pre Plus has got going for it is that it's $150 cheaper than the Incredible. It's going to be a hard decision on whether to buy the latest and greatest or an old phone with an OS that I think I'll like more...
    Quote Originally Posted by lumens View Post
    The other thing the Pre Plus has got going for it is that it's $150 cheaper than the Incredible. It's going to be a hard decision on whether to buy the latest and greatest or an old phone with an OS that I think I'll like more...
    You have to remember that you are going to be using this device for about 2 years. That means the $150 comes down to 20 cents a day extra for the incredible versus the Pre. I would advise playing with each device in the store and seeing what feels better, and don't let the price (which is mostly in-significant versus the cost of the contract) decide what is better for you. The Pre is definitely a good choice, as is the incredible, but at the end of the day it is what will suit your needs best.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Good point. My wife is out of work, so although we could afford the extra $150, it would be best to save it.

The two year contract also works against the Pre Plus. By the time I could get a new phone, it would be three year old technology. My other option is to put off upgrading until the end of the year to see if HPalm come out with or at least announce the next webOS phone. I just hate waiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by jjvcuyler View Post
    How are you basing size? Take a look at the Fortune 500. Exxon/Mobile is number 2 on the list. GE is 4. AT&T is 7. HP is 10. Verizon is 13. Microsoft is 36. Dell is 38. Apple is 56.
    It's based on market capitaiization. How much the company is worth based on stocks. Apple is currently third and about to pass number two Microsoft any day now.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I am in the same boat as you when it comes to saving my money. I am not in the mood to drop another $150+ on another phone especially since the Pre does everything that I need without issues. I bought a few games for it that i do not want to lose. I am with Sprint and we are able to upgrade every year instead of 2. Even if they announce another device I am not in the mood to upgrade.
    It would be an easy decision if I could upgrade in only 1 year. Unfortunately, I don't think Sprint has the Pre Plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    I haven't overclocked my phone and I wasn't planning to. However, after I use my wife's Incredible, damn, my Pre Plus is so freaking slow. Now I think I have to overclock my phone but I doubt it will be anywhere close to stock Incredible speed.
    You should try the new WebOS Internals Kernel Patch + the Govnah app, it's 100% safe and has a very well designed system to change the clock speed without rebooting

I think it's a huge mistake not patching nor overclocking the pre nowadays

Answering the thread question, I would go with WebOS if the OS is the most important part of the device (for me it is, I sold my Treo 750v to buy a 680, and now I broke my Pre and bought a new one against any new Android or the iPhone).

But if you need good hardware, it's difficult to argue aganist the iPhone (speed, new decent OS, by far the best hardware...), even the 3GS is that good, the problem is Steve Jobs and his "Reign of iEvil"
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    It's based on market capitaiization. How much the company is worth based on stocks. Apple is currently third and about to pass number two Microsoft any day now.
    Ahh. In that context, I guess I can accept that, though I still wouldn't call Apple a "much larger" company. Apple's revenue is between 1/4 and 1/3 of HP's, their profits right around 1/2, and they have at most 1/8 the number of employees.
    Good call:
    New King of Technology - Apple Overtakes Microsoft - NYTimes.com
    Global Posts
    288 Global Posts
    While I respect your opinion, I must call you out on the fact that Apple is a much larger and more innovative company than HP. It is second only to MS and the third largest American company and still growing. Exxon/mobil holds the top spot.
    Incorrect. Check out the link. Fortune 500 2010: Fortune 1000 Companies 1-100 - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com
    HP is #10 on the list with 114 billion in sales, Apple is #56 with 36 billion in sales. HP is over 3 times bigger than Apple. Walmart is number one and Exxon Mobile is #2 this year. Microsoft is #36. So I stand by Palm being the biggest player in the cell phone field when HP takes them over. By the way HP is short for Hewlett Packard.
    Global Posts
    288 Global Posts
    Market capitalization is obtained by multiplying the number of shares outstanding by the current price of a share. That has nothing to do with the size or the sales of a company. Market capitalization is based on the stock markets value of a stock. And we all know that stocks can wildly swing from day to day. A good company will fall when the stock market crashes just like all of them. That does not make that company any smaller than it was the day before. I have never heard of Market capitalization EVER being used as a gage of how big a company is. It is a gage of the financial stability of a company or more a gage of it's perceived worth. By your assertion you are saying Apple is worth more than WalMart. Apple with 36billion in sales is worth more than a company who's sales are over 11 times that of Apple???? You think Apple could buy Walmart?? No. But Walmart could surely buy Apple if it so desired.
    Look at all the complaint with current Pre users out there. You can't just ignore them and pretend that there's no issue with Pre. And call webOS is the best OS out there. Yes, every device has issues and people cries about it on their forum, but complain about Pre just out weight any devices out there.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast