1.    #1  
    You mean to tell me even if you are in the free 90 days of customer service, HS still charges $25 if you want to exchange your unit that has a loose stylus and not send yours in first.
    You should get it for free because it is a manufacturers defect and the unit was just released. You must insist on getting an advanced replacement for free. If the agent cant help you, ask to speak to someone higher up.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Yeah, mine's getting replaced for free right as I speak
    I am having the same issue with my Treo return (because the speaker stopped working). The issue is, they will replace your Treo for free - you send them your broken Treo, then when they get it they send you a new one. But if you can't do without your Treo for those couple of days (which I can't, because it's my only phone outside of work), and want them to ship you the new one so you can get it and then send yours back, then they charge you $25 in "service fees." A complete crock if you ask me...they're not having to handle or service anything any differently than they would for the free option. But the company is not profitable, so they will squeeze money out of every angle...they know you will pay for the convenience so they charge you. I'm not thrilled with HS service right now.
    I think the advanced overnight shipping to you and the pre-paid shipping back to Handspring would cost about $25. Dont you think so?

Originally posted by skydog
    I am having the same issue with my Treo return (because the speaker stopped working). The issue is, they will replace your Treo for free - you send them your broken Treo, then when they get it they send you a new one. But if you can't do without your Treo for those couple of days (which I can't, because it's my only phone outside of work), and want them to ship you the new one so you can get it and then send yours back, then they charge you $25 in "service fees." A complete crock if you ask me...they're not having to handle or service anything any differently than they would for the free option. But the company is not profitable, so they will squeeze money out of every angle...they know you will pay for the convenience so they charge you. I'm not thrilled with HS service right now.
    Originally posted by yardie
    I think the advanced overnight shipping to you and the pre-paid shipping back to Handspring would cost about $25. Dont you think so?
    I assume polyesterman and skydog purchased their original Treo's with the belief the products, once received, would be free from defect and available for use. Now Handspring wants to extort an additional $25 dollars from them after selling them defective equipment. It's not only wrong, it's abyssmal behavior by a company desparate to gain a user base.

Kupe
    I disagree. If Handspring had sent bad units, then they would have replaced them advanced free of charge. The units were working when they receive them. Handspring is not doing anything different from other companies such as Palm Inc. They all have pretty much the same policy. After X amount of days or weeks, you have to pay for advanced replacement.

Originally posted by Kupe

I assume polyesterman and skydog purchased their original Treo's with the belief the products, once received, would be free from defect and available for use. Now Handspring wants to extort an additional $25 dollars from them after selling them defective equipment. It's not only wrong, it's abyssmal behavior by a company desparate to gain a user base.

Kupe
    I should apologize for ranting. I had just experienced all this when I first posted and didn't observe the 24-hour cooldown period, so I was still frustrated (also because I simply had trouble getting through to HS customer service on my Treo - due to spotty Voicestream coverage, not any fault of HS's). The $25 does not come out of the air. If you choose the other method, you pay to send your Treo to them, they fix it, then they pay to send it back. Whereas with this method, they pay both shipping charges, but charge you $25 for it. I don't think I would have paid $25 for one-way shipping, but I don't send that much, so you never know. I guess my basic feeling is, either it is Handspring's responsibility that my Treo doesn't work or it isn't. If it isn't, I should have to pay for the full cost of the repair. If it is their responsibility, they ought to fix/replace it at no cost (money or time) to me. I don't understand the middle ground where the replacement unit is free but they charge you for the shipping - it seems like such a small thing - why not just cover the whole thing and make your customers happy? Isn't that the reason for free replacement/repair anyway? (to yardie: it may be the case that they will cover the shipping as well for a certain period of time, but if so no one at HS ever explained that to me).

That said, it is a small thing and $25 in the long run doesn't make a difference. It's worth it to me not to be without my phone for a few days. So I will stop ranting...
    SkyDog I am was not argueing about your ranting. I think its OK for people to rant about things that bother them. Handspring used to offer free advanced replacement (even for broken displays) back in the days. However, this cost them a lot of money. I am sure that Handspring would like to make their customer;s happy..but at what costs? Would you prefer for them to make their customers happy all the time and go bankrupt?

Originally posted by skydog
    I don't understand the middle ground where the replacement unit is free but they charge you for the shipping - it seems like such a small thing - why not just cover the whole thing and make your customers happy? Isn't that the reason for free replacement/repair anyway? (to yardie: it may be the case that they will cover the shipping as well for a certain period of time, but if so no one at HS ever explained that to me).

That said, it is a small thing and $25 in the long run doesn't make a difference. It's worth it to me not to be without my phone for a few days. So I will stop ranting...
    I just spoke to Handspring about returning my Treo 90 which had the stylus falling out problem. They said no problem and they are sending me a new unit within two days. All I have to do is send my old one back within 14 days of receiving the replacement. They asked for my credit card info (which is understandable in case I failed to return the old one). I had done returns on my Prism several times this same way. I don't know anything about a $25.00 fee. It was never mentioned to me. Their customer service has aways exceeded my expectation.
    Peddler