Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone know if there exists a hack or utility that would enable me to use my Treo keyboard more like the Blackberry...ie to make a capital letter, you just hold the key an extra second instead of having to hit [shift] every time? I'd sure be interested.
    Dude, that does sound cool! You might want to post the request in the developer's forum
    I just finished writing a hack that will capitalize a letter if you hit the key twice quickly. Not exactly what you want, but still might do the job.

It's attached to a message in this thread.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks, MetsFan, this is a start. Much better than the alternative (2 separate keystrokes), and perhaps since HS has licensed the keyboard from RIM, eventually they'll have the HoldCapsHack concept I wrote of. Thanks again...
    I've never had a RIM so I don't know exactly how that worked. How long did you have to hold it down? What if you wanted to repeat a letter a lot of times instead... to do a string of eeeeeeeeeees for example?

I can most likely work this into my hack, I just don't know exactly how you want it to work. Please let me know.
  6.    #6  
    On the Blackberry, no matter how long you hold it down, you get a capital letter and then it advances to the next spot for you. If you wanted to type in a string of "e's", you'd have to type the letter repeatedly. I guess RIM figures people will more frequently type cap letters as opposed to a string of letters, so they went that route. I think you'd have a lot of takers if you could incorporate this into your hack! Many thanks again.
    Well, it seems I can do it. I'm in the process of adding a Prefs panel to the hack so you can do:

Double Click: Capital or default (E or ee)
    Hold down: eeeeee or EEEEEE or E
    Alrighty... it's done and up at PalmGear.

KeyCapsHack

Please let me know what you think.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Metsfan,

This is fantastic!!! Great work!

Now, can you code up a program that does another thing I loved with the BlackBerry? Basically, you press the spacebar twice after a word and it inserts a period "." and the next letter is automatically capitalized.

Thanks!!
    TL
  10.    #10  
    Wow. That's what I call a quick response. Exactly what I'd hoped for...works like a charm. Many thanks!!!
    Well, I'm just going nuts with this.

There's a new version on PalmGear already. I took away the ability to have holding down a key keep repeating a capital letter. I didn't think it was useful, and it was complicating the code a lot.

In it's place, you can now use either methods (hold down or double click) to do the "option-key" command. This seems to work pretty well.

The setup I'm currently using is holding down a button for the capital letter and double clicking it for the option value. I like it a lot.

The only thing I don't like is it's now easy to type any number except 0. I'll have to mess with that key sometime to see what I can do.
    I'd like to throw my kudos at you too. I haven't tried it yet, but just your effort deserves thanks! Good job!
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    I'd like to throw my kudos at you too.
    Tried it.
    Loved it after the first text I wrote!

You're a genius!
    I tried it. I like the hold option but unfortunately I type to quickly to make the double-tap useful ("see" and other words with double letters get messed up). Good job.

You are listed on the front page of Freewarepalm.com http://www.freewarepalm.com/
    I've gotten reports of it not working on a Treo 300 (the popup lists only having one option, and it locking up when activated) and also a report that it causes the phone to not ring (don't know what model Treo this was).

Anyone else having these problems? It doesn't seem to do this on my 180 at all.
    Originally posted by metsfan
    I've gotten reports of it not working on a Treo 300 (the popup lists only having one option, and it locking up when activated) and also a report that it causes the phone to not ring (don't know what model Treo this was).

Anyone else having these problems? It doesn't seem to do this on my 180 at all.
    The popup lists have three entries. It hasn't locked up yet and (calling my phone........) it my Treo 300 still rings.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    I tried it. I like the hold option but unfortunately I type to quickly to make the double-tap useful ("see" and other words with double letters get messed up). Good job.
    [/url]
    Thanks.

I ran into the same problem with double clicking as well, but find it so useful that i've altered my typing style to compensate. The timeout is really quick - 320ms - so just a slight pause whenever you type double letters will cover it. That slight pause in exchange for the ability to easily type numbers or punctuation is worth it for me.
    Works great on my 180. Excellent work. Thanks very much! I have compensated as well, it is worth it.
    KeyCapsHack doesn't work on my Treo 270. When I start the file KeyCapsHack.prc, nothing happens.
    To enable Hacks you have to have a Hack Master of some sort. Do you have this installed? You can find one here: http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...0&prodID=12184

Within X-Master you can configure and turn on the specified hack, in this case KeyCapsHack.

I think this might be your problem.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast