Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    October leaves developers plenty of time with the PDK and Project Ares to ramp up app production for launch. Hopefully with the help of HP, Palm can seduce more developers to port over their stuff with a sexy new webOS tablet.

If the apps are there, i am there day 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riboflavin View Post
    October leaves developers plenty of time with the PDK and Project Ares to ramp up app production for launch. Hopefully with the help of HP, Palm can seduce more developers to port over their stuff with a sexy new webOS tablet.

If the apps are there, i am there day 1.
    Sounds great to me! Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Kilrah_il writes "After HP bought Palm a few weeks ago, many rumors
    emerged regarding the new parent company's plans to further expand the
    scope of devices running WebOS. Now it appears that at least one of the
    rumors is true: The Slate will be running WebOS. 'Today an HP exec has
    confirmed that the company is developing a [0]WebOS tablet which should
    be available by October.'"
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Still wondering how they're gonna put out a webos tablet just a couple of months after closing the deal with Palm. Most products (like the C40) take year(s) to develop. So both Palm and HP must've had some stuff lying around.

I don't think Palm has the manpower to let dozens of people work on a tablet, for a deal that isn't even final..
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    Still wondering how they're gonna put out a webos tablet just a couple of months after closing the deal with Palm. Most products (like the C40) take year(s) to develop. So both Palm and HP must've had some stuff lying around.

I don't think Palm has the manpower to let dozens of people work on a tablet, for a deal that isn't even final..
    HI, My guess is that they are going to be tweaking the win 7 tablet, to make a webOS tablet. That may save time. Take care, jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I think most technology companies have a pipeline of products in development, and others that are skunk-works, so in a merger, they way they can pump out something quickly is if there is close overlap in some area, or one has a finished product, and the other manufacturing capability, etc. Or for software/hardware merger, if the software is based on standards or generic hardware, then you could see the possibility.

But even if you have the hardware and software working, there probably are marketing/sales things to consider - getting the third-party apps ready in time, launching a marketing campaign (you think bald-headed women in fields are cheap or easy to find?), making agreements with carriers, shipping, competitors timeframes, etc.

So maybe there is a window next fall that excites someone, or maybe at end of year/Christmas?
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    It wouldn't be hard to pop out a tablet fairly quickly. Chances are Palm has a team that has been at least looking into this for a while if not already started planning the device. With the addition of HP into the mix palm now has the resources to execute. webOS has proven to be very versatile and scaleable thanks to it's linux and web tech core. It would be childs play for HP to take the work palm has already done and scale it to a tablet very quickly. Toss a tegra 2 into a modified and slimmed down Slate and that's 3/4th of the work done. The real issue will be on the software front. I don't see a tablet launching until Palm has webos at a mature 2.0, with features like hybrid SDK/PDK apps, and allowing users to have multiple pieces of hardware with the same palm profile logged in, and possibly even sharing of data between devices via a HP cloud service. How cool would it be to have pictures and videos I take on my Pre2 be wirelessly and automatically made available on my webos slate?

As long as Palm keeps executing well on the software front the hardware will fall into line easily.

Sorry for any and all typos doing this from work
    did i kill this thread?
    I think that the chances Palm had a tablet in the works were very high, at least at some level. SO simply continuing on with that plan and adding HP's $$ behind it could accellerate those plans significantly.

On the other hand taking the existing slate hardware and slapping webOS in it wouldn't be difficult either. We already know that webOS can run on the Intel platform, so they don't have to port it. We know that the UI can scale to different sizes, so that doesn't need to be addressed.

Those two enormous challenges out of the way it means they probably need some minor hardware support to be worked out, but that may not even be necessary depending on what's actually being used.

Add all that up and we have webOS running on slate hardware and it causes a hurricane in October.
    I guess the iPad-like tablet really is a viable market after all, huh?

(I have read many times in here since January that it wasn't).
    Well that's the way rabid fanboyism works.

But in all seriousness I can see several ways that any webos tablet could differentiate itself from the ipad and oncoming storm of droidlets. Deep cloud integration and syncing with services for one. Also true multitasking would make a webos tablet more appealing. Even though I personally still have a hard time justifying the purchase if it's going to be in the ipad price range.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkproteus66 View Post
    Well that's the way rabid fanboyism works.

But in all seriousness I can see several ways that any webos tablet could differentiate itself from the ipad and oncoming storm of droidlets.

I can too! That's the whole point of launching a new category. Everyone is now thinking of ways to improve it, which I think is AWESOME.

Just cracks me up, though, that nearly everyone is here is so hot after an "iPad killer" when two months ago the same people were pretty smug saying "Apple really blew it this time."
    I am one of the ipad haters and I can say that there is a decent possibility that i will be waving the flag for the webos tablet. Truth is I really don't see the point of a dedicated media consumption device in that size/price range.
    I am one of the ipad haters and I can say that there is a decent possibility that i will be waving the flag for the webos tablet. Truth is I really don't see the point of a dedicated media consumption device in that size/price range.
    Hi, Well said and high time someone said it. I have no desire to have one. It is smart phone on steroids, to big to carry, to heavy to use comfortable and no keyboard.

Take care, Jay
    For Apple and their product line, it fits neatly between a $300 smart phone and a $900 computer, so as a way of filling a gap in the market, its brilliant.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Today's Buzz Out Loud debates the prospects of a webOS tablet. The webOS discussion starts at about 16:45

Buzz Out Loud 1234: Facebook is like a nude beach (podcast) | Buzz Out Loud Podcast - CNET Blogs

LOL... wow, an anti-WebOS article from CNet. Hard to believe /sarcasm.
    A lot of the tech media seem to be very anti webos and I just don't get why. Considering that most of these people are always ready to spout out about how competition in the market is a good thing and how important open source and community driven platforms are and then turn around and act like apple and google are the only platforms worth considering for mobile. Apple's iphone OS is dated, it looks old is not at all intuitive and is downright hostile to developers. Google and android on the other hand is open sure but is also fragmented to all hell and back and is a bit messy.

Palm on the other hand has created a very nice middle ground between the two platforms with all the benefits of the two with almost none of the crap from either. Yes webOS has it's flaws but even still it is just as polished and competent as the "big boys" yet just gets ****ed on by the press. I will put money on the fact that most of those people haven't touched a webOS device since 1.0.2.

I know that this probably isn't the thread for this but I had a rant in me and I needed to get that out of my system.
    check my webos facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129304747081175

help me reach my goal to be the first non celebrity on twitter with 1 million followers http://www.twitter.com/darkproteus66

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
    A lot of the tech media seem to be very anti webos and I just don't get why. ........Yes webOS has it's flaws but even still it is just as polished and competent as the "big boys"

No it's not. Not for the average consumer (who uses a phone out of the box). Not at all. (I can't speaking to having one that is overclocked and patched but you agree this is not how most people use it)

I know; we had one (as well as an iPhone). There is absolutely no comparison in the quality of the experience, nor the availability, out of the box, of standard features.

Forget about comparing it to an iPhone; compared to any smart phone that was out there in 2009.
    In Engadget's latest show...

The Engadget Show - 009: Kevin Lynch, editor Q&A, AT&T GNOC tour, Sprint EVO 4G

The group answers a question about when Mobile OS will replace Desktop OS where Palm webOS is referenced as a perfect option for tablet systems. The video mark just after the question begins at around 41mins for those who would like to check it out and not listen to the whole podcast, though it is worth checking out.

Gotta love Engadget and Interesting stuff. Check it out. Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    No it's not. Not for the average consumer (who uses a phone out of the box). Not at all. (I can't speaking to having one that is overclocked and patched but you agree this is not how most people use it)

I know; we had one (as well as an iPhone). There is absolutely no comparison in the quality of the experience, nor the availability, out of the box, of standard features.

Forget about comparing it to an iPhone; compared to any smart phone that was out there in 2009.
    We are going to have to agree to disagree. I know a lot of people who are average users (ie not power nerds like i am) who find the Android interface messy and ineffective, The fact that you need a third party resource manager to keep the phones running well is proof to that. webOS manages multitasking much better than android can even dream of doing in it's current form.

Apple and the iphone on the other hand is a very smooth interface but it is getting a bit long in the tooth at this point and the fact that there is no unified navigation means that not all the apps have the setup for navigating menus.

What webOS lacks in speed (which is the biggest detractor to the user experience) it makes up for in pure elegance when navigating the system. That's what makes the webOS experience so great and why it can stand next to the iphones and Evos as an equal and not a second class citizen in the smart phone world.
    check my webos facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129304747081175

help me reach my goal to be the first non celebrity on twitter with 1 million followers http://www.twitter.com/darkproteus66

LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast