Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    HI all,

Please read the last Paragraph, it gives us great hope, that HP will have Palm's back for current and future smart phones!

Take care, Jay
    PS. This is from a UK website, that is why it reefers to Pixi going on sale soon.

HP outlines Plans for Palm webOS
    Posted 21st May 2010 at 3:56pm by Matt Dixon

Top 10 Mobile Phones » News » HP outlines plans for Palm's WebOS

HP has explained how it is going to develop the WebOS platform after it acquired smartphone manufacturer Palm.

Since HP does not have an established foothold in the smartphone market in its own right, it was clear to many observers that its acquisition of Palm would allow it to make some headway without investing in the development of its own operating system, as Palm's WebOS is already known to be a versatile, modern platform.

HP has now announced that it will be integrating the WebOS platform into some of its other product lines, including network printers. This means that smartphones will no longer be the only devices powered by the WebOS platform.

"You've now got a whole series of web-connected printers and as they connect to the web you need an OS. We prefer to have that OS, in our case, be our IP where we can control the customer experience," said HP's Mark Hurd during a conference this week.

Mr Hurd made it clear that HP was not going to be entering the smartphone market as a direct result of its Palm acquisition, but he did say that new smartphones and tablet computers produced by his firm would definitely benefit from Palm's software and experience.

He also said that the app store offered on Palm's WebOS-based smartphones would be harnessed by HP in order to distribute software to a wider family of devices, including the all-important printers.

Palm Pre owners, or those who are looking forward to the launch of the Palm Pixi, will be pleased to hear that HP will be supporting Palm in its smartphone endeavours both now and in the future.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    OMG you mean that I might have a "cool kid" phone!!!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    OMG you mean that I might have a "cool kid" phone!!!
    lol
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Mr Hurd made it clear that HP was not going to be entering the smartphone market as a direct result of its Palm acquisition, but he did say that new smartphones and tablet computers produced by his firm would definitely benefit from Palm's software and experience.

...HP will be supporting Palm in its smartphone endeavours both now and in the future
    This is the part I had to read a few times. If I understand this correctly, HP will continue to bring phones out with the Palm name and will NOT bring phones out with the HP name.

Is that what you get out of this?
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    From what I see HP is just repeating information. They're willing to support palm, they're doubling down on palm, they have big plans for webOS. When the hell are they and palm going to tell us more specific information that we don't need to try and guess and speculate on?
    They ave big plans for web os. On tablets , on printers and on phones but phones that work with other HP products. The line below tells me all I need to know. they wanted WEB OS not to get in the cell phone market. The phones will be smartphones that communicate with other HP products. this isnt Palm anymore. After 10 years its sad but see the writing on the wall. The phones will not be competeting with ANdroid and Iphone tc.

Mr Hurd made it clear that HP was not going to be entering the smartphone market as a direct result of its Palm acquisition,
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nychump View Post
    From what I see HP is just repeating information. They're willing to support palm, they're doubling down on palm, they have big plans for webOS. When the hell are they and palm going to tell us more specific information that we don't need to try and guess and speculate on?
    when the sell is final at the end of july.
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    when the sell is final at the end of july.
    I understand business and how it works. Palm's actions are really limited until HP buys them out. But by the end of July when it's official, the competition might have already won over whatever existing support palm had. It'll be like they're starting all over again I think, and if that's the case this better be a killer device.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    They ave big plans for web os. On tablets , on printers and on phones but phones that work with other HP products. The line below tells me all I need to know. they wanted WEB OS not to get in the cell phone market. The phones will be smartphones that communicate with other HP products. this isnt Palm anymore. After 10 years its sad but see the writing on the wall. The phones will not be competeting with ANdroid and Iphone tc.

Mr Hurd made it clear that HP was not going to be entering the smartphone market as a direct result of its Palm acquisition,
    Dear VaccPalm and all,

I do not agree with you at all!

Unless I am not understand your point, I think you have missed the point of what Mr. Hurd said. I see this as a win-win for all of us. Please all let me know if you are reading it the same way I am!

You wrote:

..........they wanted WEB OS not to get in the cell phone market. The phones will be smart phones that communicate with other HP products. this isn't Palm anymore. After 10 years its sad but see the writing on the wall. The phones will not be competeting with ANdroid and Iphone tc.

Read the ENTIRE paragraph:

Mr Hurd made it clear that HP was not going to be entering the smart phone market as a direct result of its Palm acquisition, but he did say that new smart phones and tablet computers produced by his firm would definitely benefit from Palm's software and experience.

All that means is that HP will NOT be entering the smart phone business. It DOES NOT SAY, that Palm is leaving the smart phone business.

......... he did say that new smart phones and tablet computers produced by his firm would definitely benefit from Palm's software and experience.

Mr Hurd made it clear that HP was not going to be entering the smart phone market as a direct result of its Palm acquisition, but he did say that new smart phones and tablet computers produced by his firm would definitely benefit from Palm's software and experience.

Any work done on webOS furthers the cause for all of use. I think growing webOS to work on printers is a great idea. For example: you need info for a presentation, while you are at work & out of town. Look up the info: beam it to an HP printer and you have the infor Printed without needing to usea computer!

I do not see anywhere that webOS is no longer going to be used on smart phone, only that HP will not re label the smart phones the an HP name plate.

Do any of you also read it the way I do????

Take care, Jay
    Your not reading it wrong and your right on alot of accounts but need to take all the statments by HP into account. The big picture.

. They have basically said that there interest is WEB OS not nessisarily getting into Smart phones market. (which it also says here) They absolutley will have more smartphones BUT they will be phones that work along side other HP Produts. ANd they have stated that they are unsure if they will get rid of the palm name but the slates will be HP branded not palm obviously.

And I am not a palm basher , I am a huge palm fan ( stock holder for years) and have had every palm product back from the Palm Pilot to the PRE ( incuding all the Handspring products). This isnt Palm anymore, its HP. most if not all WEB OS products will be Branded HP. On ly the cellphones might be Palm . But my opinion is that palm will disapear and all products will be Branded the more popular HP. ( just my opinion). Palm is gone as far as I am concerned. Sad. But this garentees that WEB OS will survive and become very popular and better. I just see this purchase as a WEBOS purchase and HP plans to make a line of WEB OS printers, slates, net books and phones. WEB OS phone lovers like me would have been better served if HTC purchased palm. then you would see top of the line phones.

Here is an article from 2 days ago. explaining that HP's intentions really is WEB OS and using it on other devices then phones. There is absolutley no way you can read this and think that Smartphones are even near the top of HP's plans. I will highlight the real important stuff to this comversation

TelecomTV | News | HP says it has big ideas for Palm's webOS

Ever since HP announced plans to acquire Palm and its webOS last month, the industry has wondered what the company is going to do with it. HP doesn’t have a smartphone business to speak of and while the webOS is widely respected as an OS, it doesn’t offer much of an immediate business for HP, considering its weak uptake so far. By Peggy Albright.
    But Palm does have substantial intellectual property which HP believes will be important in the fast-growing connected device market. Now the company has divulged that it views web-connected printers in the connected device category as a target for the technology, and that it is also targeting other products which might benefit from webOS and the other intellectual property it is acquiring with Palm.

The broad vision for Palm’s webOS will thus take the software to new form factors and device types and expand its distribution, which all promises longer-term stability for the OS just as the vision drives a new business strategy at HP.

The company’s chairman and CEO Mark Hurd, revealed the strategy this week during the company’s quarterly earnings conference call. He had this to say about HP’s plans for Palm:

“It really has more to do with the intellectual property and the fact that when you look across the HP ecosystem of interconnected devices, it is a large family of devices and, we think, of printers. You’ve now got a whole series of web-connected printers and as they connect to the web you need an OS. We prefer to have that OS, in our case, be our IP where we can control the customer experience,” he said.

Hurd went to particular effort to reiterate that the acquisition was not meant specifically as a smartphone play.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 05/22/2010 at 07:26 AM.
    according to HP's Vice president you stated this yesterday they will be supporting smartphones.

This story is straight from the wire folks… hot off the press! At first glance, it’s stuff we already know, but there’s some juicy details, here. According to DigiTimes, HP Taiwan’s vice-president of personal computing systems group Monty Wong has confirmed that webOS will be adopted into smartphones and tablets. He added that netbooks will not include webOS and continue using their current operating systems instead.

Ah! And the article also said this:

“The HP Slate will hit the market before the end of the fiscal year ending in October, and consumers could see a wide range of software and application support at launch, he added.”

While we can’t be 100% that this is referring to a webOS slate, earlier whispers of an impending webOS tablet dubbed the HP Hurricane could very well be true.

webOSroundup | webOS app reviews, palm pre & pixi apps
  12.    #12  
    Your not reading it wrong and your right on alot of accounts but need to take all the statments by HP into account. The big picture.

. They have basically said that there interest is WEB OS not nessisarily getting into Smart phones market. (which it also says here) They absolutley will have more smartphones BUT they will be phones that work along side other HP Produts. ANd they have stated that they are unsure if they will get rid of the palm name but the slates will be HP branded not palm obviously.

And I am not a palm basher , I am a huge palm fan ( stock holder for years) and have had every palm product back from the Palm Pilot to the PRE ( incuding all the Handspring products). This isnt Palm anymore, its HP. most if not all WEB OS products will be Branded HP. On ly the cellphones might be Palm . But my opinion is that palm will disapear and all products will be Branded the more popular HP. ( just my opinion). Palm is gone as far as I am concerned. Sad. But this garentees that WEB OS will survive and become very popular and better. I just see this purchase as a WEBOS purchase and HP plans to make a line of WEB OS printers, slates, net books and phones. WEB OS phone lovers like me would have been better served if HTC purchased palm. then you would see top of the line phones.

Here is an article from 2 days ago. explaining that HP's intentions really is WEB OS and using it on other devices then phones. There is absolutley no way you can read this and think that Smartphones are even near the top of HP's plans. I will highlight the real important stuff to this comversation

TelecomTV | News | HP says it has big ideas for Palm's webOS

Ever since HP announced plans to acquire Palm and its webOS last month, the industry has wondered what the company is going to do with it. HP doesn’t have a smartphone business to speak of and while the webOS is widely respected as an OS, it doesn’t offer much of an immediate business for HP, considering its weak uptake so far. By Peggy Albright.
    But Palm does have substantial intellectual property which HP believes will be important in the fast-growing connected device market. Now the company has divulged that it views web-connected printers in the connected device category as a target for the technology, and that it is also targeting other products which might benefit from webOS and the other intellectual property it is acquiring with Palm.

The broad vision for Palm’s webOS will thus take the software to new form factors and device types and expand its distribution, which all promises longer-term stability for the OS just as the vision drives a new business strategy at HP.

The company’s chairman and CEO Mark Hurd, revealed the strategy this week during the company’s quarterly earnings conference call. He had this to say about HP’s plans for Palm:

“It really has more to do with the intellectual property and the fact that when you look across the HP ecosystem of interconnected devices, it is a large family of devices and, we think, of printers. You’ve now got a whole series of web-connected printers and as they connect to the web you need an OS. We prefer to have that OS, in our case, be our IP where we can control the customer experience,” he said.

Hurd went to particular effort to reiterate that the acquisition was not meant specifically as a smartphone play.
    Ilovedessert, (Me): Hi, here is a paragraph that I copied from the link you provided:

Hurd went to particular effort to reiterate that the acquisition was not meant specifically as a smartphone play. In addition to the emphasis on printers, he said that the Palm software would be useful to the company in products ranging from smartphones to tablets to notebooks. HP plans to use the webOS app store, as well, to distribute apps to these various devices including web-enabled printers, which represent an important and growing market for the company.

Ilovedessert, Me): All that means is that they have no intentions of using webOS just for the cell phone business.

Vaccpalm: They ave big plans for web os. On tablets , on printers and on phones but phones that work with other HP products. The line below tells me all I need to know. they wanted WEB OS not to get in the cell phone market. The phones will be smartphones that communicate with other HP products. this isnt Palm anymore. After 10 years its sad but see the writing on the wall. The phones will not be competeting with ANdroid and Iphone tc.

ILovedessert, (me): If anything this is far better for us. It is expanding the use of webOS, thus guaranteeing wide acceptance of it. That means that webOS will be around a long, long time. It also means that Palm will have the $ to keep expanding webOS to work better on all platforms. It does not state anywhere, that Palm is abandoning the cell market. If anything, I think it is more likely going to end up expanding it's place in the smart phone business. After all, Palm had major $ problems, which was hampering it's ability to upgrade webOS for things such as voice dialing, optical zoom lens, etc.

Mr Hurd stated they are not entering he cell phone market. That means the Palm name will remain in the market and that HP will not be re branding it, with their name.

IT DOES NOT MEAN, THEY ARE GETTING OUT OF OR ABANDON THE SMART PHONE BUSINESS.

Palm burned thru HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF $. Much of it on webOS and it still needs and will always need upgrading and tweaking, b/c that is the nature of the beast.

Isn't expanding webOS presence on other HP's products better than another firm pouring hundreds of millions in to webOS ? After spending over a billion to buy Palm and still not have much market share????

It also is not realistic to expect things to stay the same. Palm made a number of bad mistakes along the way. It spent major money on reassembling a software division, after they sold their software division. It also had quality control problems. In my opinion, it was also a mistake to rush to market the Pre, to beat the Iphone 3G. These all cost Palm market share. I do not think anyone would have put major money into Palm without making changes. I would rather see webOS on other products, then to see HP pour $ into Palm and then decide it wasn't worth it.

In my opinion you are reading things into the situation.
    After all the article which you provided the link to stated:

In addition to the emphasis on printers, he said that the Palm software would be useful to the company in products ranging from smartphones to tablets to notebooks.

Take care, Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Ilovedessert, (Me): Hi, here is a paragraph that I copied from the link you provided:

Hurd went to particular effort to reiterate that the acquisition was not meant specifically as a smartphone play. In addition to the emphasis on printers, he said that the Palm software would be useful to the company in products ranging from smartphones to tablets to notebooks. HP plans to use the webOS app store, as well, to distribute apps to these various devices including web-enabled printers, which represent an important and growing market for the company.

Ilovedessert, Me): All that means is that they have no intentions of using webOS just for the cell phone business.

Vaccpalm: They ave big plans for web os. On tablets , on printers and on phones but phones that work with other HP products. The line below tells me all I need to know. they wanted WEB OS not to get in the cell phone market. The phones will be smartphones that communicate with other HP products. this isnt Palm anymore. After 10 years its sad but see the writing on the wall. The phones will not be competeting with ANdroid and Iphone tc.

ILovedessert, (me): If anything this is far better for us. It is expanding the use of webOS, thus guaranteeing wide acceptance of it. That means that webOS will be around a long, long time. It also means that Palm will have the $ to keep expanding webOS to work better on all platforms. It does not state anywhere, that Palm is abandoning the cell market. If anything, I think it is more likely going to end up expanding it's place in the smart phone business. After all, Palm had major $ problems, which was hampering it's ability to upgrade webOS for things such as voice dialing, optical zoom lens, etc.

Mr Hurd stated they are not entering he cell phone market. That means the Palm name will remain in the market and that HP will not be re branding it, with their name.

IT DOES NOT MEAN, THEY ARE GETTING OUT OF OR ABANDON THE SMART PHONE BUSINESS.

Palm burned thru HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF $. Much of it on webOS and it still needs and will always need upgrading and tweaking, b/c that is the nature of the beast.

Isn't expanding webOS presence on other HP's products better than another firm pouring hundreds of millions in to webOS ? After spending over a billion to buy Palm and still not have much market share????

It also is not realistic to expect things to stay the same. Palm made a number of bad mistakes along the way. It spent major money on reassembling a software division, after they sold their software division. It also had quality control problems. In my opinion, it was also a mistake to rush to market the Pre, to beat the Iphone 3G. These all cost Palm market share. I do not think anyone would have put major money into Palm without making changes. I would rather see webOS on other products, then to see HP pour $ into Palm and then decide it wasn't worth it.

In my opinion you are reading things into the situation.
    After all the article which you provided the link to stated:

In addition to the emphasis on printers, he said that the Palm software would be useful to the company in products ranging from smartphones to tablets to notebooks.

Take care, Jay

very well said, and I believe truly this is what HP will be doing with Palm. Letting Palm continue to brand, and develop smartphones while HP uses the OS in other products being able to pair not only the smartphones but every product using WEB OS together.
    Well I hope that you are correct Jay. I would absolutley love to see a high end WEBOS phone whithin the next 12-18 months. I would consider going back , abslutley and I reiterate I think that HP will make WEBOS a huge success. But I dont think of HP as a revolutionary phone company and I just dont see any Smartphones coming out of this that compete with the Iphone and EVO. And in the end thats what we all expected the PRE to be. Again I hope , well I know WEBOS has a bright future . Just the Palm i knew is gone. I had loyalty to Palm. I have no such thing with HP. So I feel its time to move on to one of the modern phones that has tons of apps etc. Living in the past only keeps ya from going foward. But if a new webos device comes out and I actually see developers support it and the Hardware is good I absolutley will be back. heck I left the palm OS once in the last decade. For the Treo 800W which was using Windows Mobile and I came back to Palm OS in 3 months. might happen again. See what the new HP Phones look like next year.
    I guess it depends on whether HP leaves their Palm division basically intact as a smartphone company (with increased resources), and from what I've read about HP, they'll probably do that.
    Guess the only snag in that might be since Palm is developing relationships with Verizon and AT&T whos to say the next HP Web OS phone will not debut on Verizon. I mean Verizon got the better version of the Pre and after Sprint played a big hand in making the PRE a faliue no one can say what HP decides to do. they could form a relations ship with Tmobile for all we know.
    HP has heretofore had no big reputation for smartphones, so I imagine they would just encourage the Palm unit to continue seeking deals with as many carriers as possible.
    I thnk they make relationships with all of them so maybe the next big WEB OS phone is released on Verizon. Maybe comes to Sprint 9 months later. Whos to say. I mean SPrint is making EVO there flagship phone. The future is hard to predict.
  19.    #19  
    I thnk they make relationships with all of them so maybe the next big WEB OS phone is released on Verizon. Maybe comes to Sprint 9 months later. Whos to say. I mean SPrint is making EVO there flagship phone. The future is hard to predict.
    Hi, Funny I assumed it would be with Sprint first, b/c they had the original Pre and I assumed they would be the first to get the next gen first!

Take care, Jay
    Thats means little, When there was a update and remodel of the PRE , verizon got it. We at Sprint still dont have the PRE PLUS. I wanted the Pre Plus. Almost left for Verison to get it ( glad I did not). but it ****es me off.Heck you would think since they were the ones to have the original PRE they would also get the updated one but nope.
    Sprint has no contaract with HP to sell any phone first like AT&T has with Iphone . Sprint can make any deal with any carrier. think about this . all the Android phones that come out on the other carriers but when the BEST one comes out ( THE EVO) its on Sprint. People at the other carriers are ****ed like we would all be if the next Gen Pre comes out on Verizon. I just think thats something else everyone need to think about if your debating switching phones. Absolutley no garentee that Sprint will even carry it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast