1.    #1  

I have noticed more and more lately that honest reviews are being deleted; in order to change the ratings of apps. I normally don't like leaving low reviews, but sometimes it is needed. I recently posted a 3-Star review for a Pic-Package that was just horrible. The Mod's deleted the review and the rating for that useless app went back to 4 stars. What annoys me is people that post pointless negative reviews, with swearing; will be allowed to have their reviews remain. While legitimate reviews are being deleted. My question, why?

I'm getting to the point where I don't think I want another WebOS phone. The App Store is a mess and basically lawless. Customer Care isn't helpful. The proven scam-apps have also remained in the App Store. So I just feel like Palm doesn't care, and that the Mod's do whatever they want without risking being punished. If Palm does fail, the App Store is going to be a huge part of that.

So why are the Mod's deleting honest reviews to manipulate the overall ratings of apps? Aren't they "Suppose" to not have a bias? In my opinion It just seems that Palm is making every possible mistake with their App Store.

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

I read somewhere that palm was going to remove some of the negative reviews submitted when the app catalog went down. If this is true, I would assume that they will search for keywords like "loading" "download" "failed install". It's possible the reviews you speak of were worded in a way that tricked them into thinking that the reviews was related to the catalog going down.

I have no proof of this, just throwing it out there.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ View Post
    I read somewhere that palm was going to remove some of the negative reviews submitted when the app catalog went down. If this is true, I would assume that they will search for keywords like "loading" "download" "failed install". It's possible the reviews you speak of were worded in a way that tricked them into thinking that the reviews was related to the catalog going down.

I have no proof of this, just throwing it out there.
    It's one thing to clear the Cry-Baby review clutter, but it's not fair to delete honest reviews. This has been going on for a while now. I have seen some apps go from 2 stars, to 4; just because the reviews were removed altogether. A lot of the reviews were legitimate as well. It's like the Mod's are deleting reviews they see as a negative against apps they personally love. The most recent review they deleted of mine explained how the pic-package used low-res images, with problems setting the pics as wallpaper and that the app had an annoying popup that loaded everytime the app started. So how was that review so bad that the Mod's deleted it. After my review, and others were removed; the app's rating went into a higher number. So the Mod's changed the rating of a worthless app, by deleting negative reviews.

I still love my Pre, but I'm getting sick of Palm. This tactic of altering ratings is making me view Palm in a negative light. Palm can delete the pointless Cry-Baby reviews, but not valid, well explained reviews. I wonder if Google's Android App Store is run in the same way?

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

Can I make a suggestion to you?

If you are truly intent on providing other users with unbiased, honest reviews, don't give up, just change your review style, and learn how to get an honest, informed review that may not be favorable to stay undeleted...

Sometimes, doing the "right" thing costs more, but, that makes it all the more worth while!

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the2ndflood View Post
    It's like the Mod's are deleting reviews they see as a negative against apps they personally love.
    I can't comment on your particular situation, but it strikes me as odd that an app that you find deserve some serious dinging would be an app that Palm mods "personally love."

While opinions may differ, a bad app is usually dinged by everyone.

Unless you're suggesting that the mods have a larger financial stake in some apps over others, your suggestion that the decisions are made this way makes no sense.

Now then... I happen to agree that there are a number of obviously ridiculous reviews: profanity, general complaints against Palm or about the app catalog as a whole, complaints about apps not installing, etc.

I didn't see your review, but I wonder: did you make any comments about Palm, the app catalog as a whole, or anything that wasn't purely a complaint about the app, itself?
    I think the big question is are they really doing this? Are Palm employees really deleting reviews in a direct and deliberate attempt to effect the overall ratings of apps?

Unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by the2ndflood View Post
    ...So why are the Mod's deleting honest reviews to manipulate the overall ratings of apps?
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    i think that the reviews should be moderated because a lot of them are misleading. Giving a low rating because you don't like an app is one thing, but rating an app low because it doesn't do what you expect, even when the description tells you exactly what it does, is another. Rating an app low because of things out of the developers control (install fail) is also unacceptable.

Deleting "honest" reviews definately isn't something i'm for, but I think customers should show a little more responsibility when reviewing apps. Those who are irresponsible with their reviews should have their comments deleted.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 05/21/2010 at 08:28 AM.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Also what happens to reviews when an app is updated? What if a developer addresses issues brought up in the review section? As apps are fixed some reviews become no longer relevant.
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
    Had the Droid, I don't think they ever delete reviews. You could mark them as spam which I did with a few.

People would put in their twitter names as a review and some other stuff.
    Lawless, chaotic, and out of control!

whew! I thought this was another Android (app store) thread!
    Nerd-boy hall monitors are strong. Even here, sometimes.
    Prē
    I actually enjoy them deleting reviews based on keywords, which is what my handler said they do, it isn't my fault that the app catalog's certificates failed, and I received five 0-star reviews for it! One of my apps worked just fine, but I received countless negative reviews simply because the end user refuses to follow directions. Very frustrating especially since there is no way to contact the reviewer! I would personally contact every person that has a problem with one of my apps if Palm allowed it. I think it would improve the user experience and the developer experience.
    These are general info tips, not criticism of the OP. He didn't do either of these things in his post.

I think one thing folks should avoid in apps reviews is phrasing a comment as a question:

'Why does this app only do low res images?"
    instead say "I do not like the low res images this app creates."
    "Why is there a stupid pop up when it starts?"
    instead say "There is an unnecessary pop up every time the app is started".

In general this is bad form, because it could be interpreted as a customer support question, instead of a review. I do think the reviews that rate an app low, because they had a question they didn't ask, should usually be removed.

If the interface is confusing,
    say "The interface is confusing."
    not "How are you supposed to navigate this app? I got totally lost."

The second could be interpreted as a negative review, or a question for customer service. I might remove the second review because it is ambiguous.

Needless to say, don't use sarcasm. "Using sarcasm is GREAT in a review." Ummmm, do you like sarcasm, or not?

Just a couple of suggestions.