1.    #1  
    Hi all, I just found this one and we will see soon how this all works out.

Take care, Jay

HP's Plan for Palm
    Mobile Computing by Wayne Rash, Wednesday, May 19, 2010

HP's Plan for Palm | CTO Edge

When Hewlett-Packard announced its intent to acquire the long-suffering Palm, Inc., last month, it was clear that there was more involved than just expanding HPís limited, and listless, smartphone line. Thereís no question that the iPaq was stranded in the digital equivalent of the Sargasso Sea, and that Palmís smartphone line would jazz things up, but it was also clear that there was more to the story.

At the time I suggested that HP could use Palmís WebOS in their much-rumored Slate tablet PC instead of the Windows 7 it was being shown with. Palmís software was much better suited to the portable touch-screen environment than Windows, and it would be much more competitive with Appleís iPhone-derived iPad.

Turns out Iíve underestimated HP.

In a conference call with investors this week, HPís CEO Mark Hurd discussed his plans for WebOS, and they go far beyond mobile devices. In reality, Palm is part of HPís plan for global domination. In reality, it appears that WebOS will, in one form or another, be the core of much of HPís device software in products that donít need to run Windows. In other words, you can expect your Web-enabled printer to be running WebOS in a year or so.

The Slate, meanwhile, has morphed into a new device, currently codenamed ďHurricane,Ē that will run WebOS and that will likely ship soon after HP closes on the purchase of Palm. This will give HP a device that competes directly with the much-hyped Apple iPad, complete with a well-designed touch screen and a similar form factor.

But thereís a huge difference. HP has been selling enterprise-grade tablet computers for years. Some analysts estimate that as much as 10 percent to 15 percent of the companyís portable computer sales are tablets, mostly being sold into vertical markets such as healthcare and insurance. These tablets run Windows, and because of the necessary infrastructure are heavier than the iPad and the batteries donít last as long.

With a Palm-based tablet, these problems go away. Now Palm can field a tablet computer thatís thin, light, has great battery life and is enterprise-ready. This means that HP can take advantage of its existing tablet market, and its existing enterprise market, to sell tablet devices. In addition, it can leverage the same platform for a consumer product that competes directly with the iPad.

For Apple, the competition against HP isnít necessarily a good thing. There was a time, for example, when Apple made the top laser printer around. Then HP made a strong entry into that market. I donít need to tell you how that came out.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    1. This isn't news. Engadget posted the same thing, just less wordy.
    2. You posted in the wrong forum, this should go in Palm General Chat.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    thanks, Great read! Can't wait to have connected devices in my home and cars.
    Thanks for the info. ;-)
  5.    #5  
    Hi all, This is really getting good. I never would have thought that HP would put webOS on it's printers. I knew they were just starting to roll out, web connected printers. However, my mind did not go to using webOS for this, (when HP's buyout for Palm was announced)

1. It saves on fees for using windows for this.

2. They will control the make up and all aspects of how webOS is written, so it will not have a fractured personality, as Android has.

3. I knew they use slate computers for Dr's, with customized version of windows and customizes software for Dr's. offices, as my Dr. uses them. The current HP slates for Dr's. offices is huge and very heavy. an HP webOS slate should be far lighter and much more friendly on batteries.

take care, Jay

HP To Bring Palm WebOS To Printers

WebOS will be leveraged across numerous devices, including Internet-connected printers and slate computers, said HP.

By Antone Gonsalves, InformationWeek
    May 19, 2010

HP To Bring Palm WebOS To Printers -- Hewlett-Packard -- InformationWeek

Hewlett-Packard says it will take the soon-to-be acquired Palm WebOS not just to its traditional smartphone home, but also to the company's Internet-connected printers.

In reporting quarterly earnings Tuesday, HP chief executive Mark Hurd told Wall Street analysts that HP's plans for the operating system went beyond mobile phones to a variety of devices, including slate computers and printers.

"We expect to leverage WebOS into a variety of form factors, including slate computers and Web-connected printers," Hurd said during the conference call.

HP announced late last month that it would purchase smartphone maker Palm for $1.2 billion in cash. Analysts consider WebOS the crown jewel of Palm's portfolio, and industry observers assumed HP would use the software in future mobile devices, including slate computers. The company in March unveiled plans for a tablet-style PC to compete with Apple's iPad.

However, the use of WebOS in printers was unexpected. Many analysts had focused instead on what the OS could do for HP in the mobile market. Besides an operating system, WebOS is a development platform open to applications from third-party developers, and Palm has an online application store that offers software for its smartphones.

"While HP is behind in the consumer mobile market in comparison to Apple's iPhone and Google's Android, TBR believes there is viable opportunity for HP to gain traction in the commercial mobile markets," Jessica Breen, analyst for Technology Business Research, said in a commentary following HP's earnings release.

Use of WebOS in printers makes sense, given HP's strategy for growing its printer business when an increasing number of people are using online photo services to share pictures electronically. Last summer, HP introduced its first Internet-connected inkjet printer that lets people print coupons, movie tickets, maps, and other items from Web sites without having to turn on a PC.

HP reported that revenue in the second fiscal quarter ended April 30 rose 8% year-to-year for its imaging and printing group, which TBR said was "strong growth for this division."

Overall, HP reported that profits in the quarter rose 28% year-to-year to $2.2 billion, or 91 cents a share, as revenue grew 13% to $30.8 billion. A key driver was increased spending on computers by consumers and businesses in an improving economy.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Thanks Jay. Another nice read.
    I do hope they hit up HP's already established user base
    I hope HP utilizes their existing touchsmart line to sell webOS, HP Touchsmart powered by Palm.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
  8.    #8  
    Hi all, Here is more info about HP's use of webOS. I will keep digging for more info. In the meantime, take care, Jay

HP Plans Web - Connected Printers Without PCs
    By REUTERS

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2010/...ml?ref=reuters

Filed at 10:02 a.m. ET

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Hewlett-Packard Co is preparing a broad push to make it easier to print images and information from the Internet, building an iPhone-style apps market in the process, the head of the company's imaging group said on Wednesday.

HP late last year introduced its first Web-connected home printer, which has a touch screen, which can download applications so that a user could more easily print out for example, a daily crossword puzzle or children's coloring page without using a separate computer.

"The usage of that printer is going up by double digits," Vyomesh Joshi, executive vice president of the Imaging and Printing Group, told the Reuters Global Technology Summit in San Francisco.

Joshi said a new Web printing initiative was in the works but declined to say when or what it would be. However, he said the first Web-connected printer would be followed by more. "We have launched it, we have learned, and now we will lead," he said.

HP plans to take advantage of Web OS software in its printers when it completes it previously announced acquisition of Palm Inc, he said.[ID:nN28209016]. The initiative would not be limited to consumer products, he added.

HP has planned for years to make it easier to print from the Web, but Joshi said it was difficult to keep up with the pace of Internet growth.

"The Web is where the content creation is happening, the content explosion is happening and we want to capture that content," he said. However, he added, "It's not formatted for easy printing."

The company last year said it would roll out printer app partnerships with the likes of Walt Disney Co, CBS News and Yahoo Inc's online photo service Flickr.

Printing -- and the all important sales of ink -- are a key source of profit for HP. The imaging and printing group accounted for about a fifth of sales and a third of operating profit last year.

Joshi said his focus is on capturing a greater share of printed pages rather than simply selling printers, since a relatively small number of printers account for the lion's share of printing.

Web pages also tend to be in color and quite dense -- so they consume a lot of the ink supplies that help HP's bottom line.

Joshi also said the No. 1 printer maker was working on ways to serve the mobile Web -- cell phones, the iPad, and the like. "A lot of images are trapped in smartphones," he said.

Although HP is the largest PC maker, Joshi said that bundling printers and PCs was not good business. Many bundled printers were never taken out of the box, he said.

"We need to sell the printers that are going to actually print," he said.

Shares of HP, which reported better-than-expected quarterly results on Tuesday, rose 22 cents $47 on Wednesday. HP shares are down about 9 percent for the year. By contrast, shares of IBM are about flat, and Xerox has climbed about 18 percent over the same period.

(Reporting by Franklin Paul and Peter Henderson; Editing by Gary Hill and Carol Bishopric)
  9.    #9  
    Hi all,

I was thinking about this all morning. If web printers take off for HP, other firms will also want to do so. I wonder if HP Palm will allow other printer companies, to use webOS on their printers.

I am not suggesting that they do so for phones, however, this would be a way of gaining wide acceptance of webOS, which in turn could drive smart phone purchases.

For example: You buy an HP web printer with webOS. You like the easy and convenience of webOS, therefore you decide to give a Palm smart phone a try. What do you think???

Take care, Jay
    HP would absolutley never let anyone use there operating system. thats not the type of company they are. And it makes sense. you want people to buy HP Printers. But overall all this is great new again for WEB OS. HP Will make WEB OS the success it should have been. It may be with PRinters and tablets instead of high end phones but they are the company to do it.
  11.    #11  
    [QUOTE HP Will make WEB OS the success it should have been. [QUOTE]

Hi, I'll second that! take care, Jay

PS I still think this will turn Palm smart phone business around as well.

1. Apple is so arrogant and acting as the claimed MS was acting, 15- 18 years ago.

2. Android is overly splintered with so many companies, having it perform different tasks. Therefore, it is very confusing.

3. That puts webOS in a good position.

Everyone I know who has an Iphone, is fed up with Apple and wants to change phones, to a non Apple phone, as soon as their contract is up.

We see that happening now as Android sales are picking up. There are so many Android phones out there. Each customized by their manufacturer, to do different tasks. Most people I know, who have looked at several Android phones, come away from the situation, more confused then they were to start of with!

4. Now that Palm will have the main thing it needed to make the Pre a success. That is $, to complete webOS and to be able to upgrade it and the next phone to 4G. They will also have $ to PROPERLY train sales associates at, Sprint, Verizon & AT & T, so they can give complete and up to date info on the Pre or what ever the next gen Pre will be called.

take care, Jay
    3hanks for for the info, interesting read!
    cant wait for my webOS toaster
  14.    #14  
    Hi, I am sure once the sale of Palm to HP goes thru, we will find out much more info about the next palm phone, webOS tablet & webOS printers. take care, Jay
    Supposedly accoroding to the rumors Iphone is coming to SPrint. Not believing it but its out there. I posted in the Other Handhelds the news.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Supposedly accoroding to the rumors Iphone is coming to SPrint. Not believing it but its out there. I posted in the Other Handhelds the news.
    Hi all,

I have no idea if it is true......but I loved Sprint saying the Pre was a bust, but they wouldn't mind getting the Iphone...sure they would like to get it...after all they would not have spend a dime on making it popular.

They hardly spend ANY money in trying to get the Pre popular, (the creepy lady commercials were awful and in fact, scared people off of the Pre).

After all, they (Sprint), were hoping it would turn around their fortunes, just as the Iphone did for A T & T. It would have been nice if Sprint trained their employees, about the Pre. From what I have read on this site, Sprint people didn't and still don't know Jack, about the Pre.

I grant you part of the problem was Palm and who actually made the phones for Palm, but Sprint was asleep at the switch and still is.

Now that the C40 will be out soon, (whatever it is), and Palm now can spend money more freely, it should be interesting to see if Palm and Sprint treat the next phone differently.

Take care, Jay