Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For all of my fellow Pre fans the outlook is very grim for us getting another Webos "Cell Phone" this year. I know that many of us are just drooling to get something bigger and better than the Pre but looking at all of the market indicators it looks as if Cell Phones will not be the initial push after the HP acquisition. A few things to consider:

1. HP is in dier need to develope a tablet such as the Ipad that will compete in the tablet market.
    2. All recent headlines suggest that a Webos tablet is priority.
    3. Time to Market for a new product is will over 6 months as we waited over a year after the announcement of the Pre and now the EVO.
    4. Palm just releases a Pre on AT&T what makes us think that now that Palm is out of contract with Sprint they would rush to develope another phone for Sprint when they just now on AT&T..Doesn't make sense.
    5. Restructuring and reorganization will also take more than a few months to complete once the sale is finalized.
    6. People there are only 6 months left in the year.

With that said my friends don't look for a product anytime soon from Palm!! Enjoy the Pre for the next 6 monts at least..lol
    I think Palm's remark "Business as usual" means they are keeping their product pipeline moving. If we don't see anything this summer then we will see it in the fall.
    Last edited by NickDG; 05/18/2010 at 09:34 PM.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    there will be a new phone that is already dev'ed and it will be out soon , i believe.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    From what I gather reading the story on the first page a Tablet is there priority. I have a feeling that HP Purchased Palm more for the WEB OS then to compete in the smartphone business. This is HP Now not Palm anymore. HP isnt really a cell phone company.
    Not really worried about it either way, this is long term deal for HP.
  6.    #6  
    Bravo ...much agreed
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    there will be a new phone that is already dev'ed and it will be out soon , i believe.
    How so when there is a buyout to be worked through and product approvals from HP. I've worked for HP and they are very anal about what they produce. In addition if there was going to be another cell device there would definitely be a known product at this time. Carriers usually market a product a minimum of 2 months before its actual release date. We've seen this with Verizon, Sprint, At&T when it came to the Pre right? Starting in July if there is a product announcement you think that it would drop in September? Not likely
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    From what I gather reading the story on the first page a Tablet is there priority. I have a feeling that HP Purchased Palm more for the WEB OS then to compete in the smartphone business. This is HP Now not Palm anymore. HP isnt really a cell phone company.
    +1
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    HP used to compete with the handheld market, lest we forget.
    "Used to" is the key word. they were not very good at it. They phones stank. Having Palm will help them . If I was HP I would try to have an awesome flag ship device . One phone . Like what Apple does. and keep upgrading that phone every year like Apple does. Not this new phone every month like HTC.
    ummm, i dont see how even if a tablet is the priority that it has anything to do with us not getting another phone soon. is hp a small company that only has enough resources to make one new product at a time? does hp not have its own department in charge of making stuff like say....computers (i'm pretty sure they do)???
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notalexrz View Post
    ummm, i dont see how even if a tablet is the priority that it has anything to do with us not getting another phone soon. is hp a small company that only has enough resources to make one new product at a time? does hp not have its own department in charge of making stuff like say....computers (i'm pretty sure they do)???

That's EXACTLY what I was going to say! Who ever said that 2 different companies(HP/Palm) can't make 2 different products?? HP is a huge company. It's not like when Palm was just a small independent company that lacked the resources to work on more than one thing at a time.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notalexrz View Post
    Yep I think this is true, if hp can douple palms team they could easily make two new handsets and a tablet device in the next few months.
    I got my Pre Plus a little over a month ago using my Mom's upgrade. And my line is due for an upgrade in Septem et so as long as something new is released after that I'll be happy. I would like to e able to get the next-gen WebOS phone on launchday.
    I want HP/Palm to take as long as they need to make a high quality product. I want the next-gen pre to make the EVO look like a dumb phone.
    Yeah, and by the time that happens Evo2 will be out.
    Quote Originally Posted by dguidry12 View Post
    How so when there is a buyout to be worked through and product approvals from HP. I've worked for HP and they are very anal about what they produce. In addition if there was going to be another cell device there would definitely be a known product at this time. Carriers usually market a product a minimum of 2 months before its actual release date. We've seen this with Verizon, Sprint, At&T when it came to the Pre right? Starting in July if there is a product announcement you think that it would drop in September? Not likely
    A. HP doesn't own Palm yet.

B. No cell maker goes over a year without a product refresh. The Plus line is not a refresh.

C. If HP wanted Palm to move focus away from smartphones, they would have never accepted the deal.

D. Since Palm just launched the Pre Plus on AT&T, they really need to keep the next gen hardware quiet. We will probably see something soon.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I see both sides of the argument, and to be honest, my bet is that there is a struggle within Palm about just this issue.

Do you hold off and release something with HP sometime late next year that will blow people away (you hope)

Or do you continue on the trajectory that was planned out over a year ago.

Remember, they have been working on the post Pre phone for a while now. It's out there. We just don't know if or when it's coming, but it is out there.
    - Why would palm (or sprint) want to lose out in the people w contracts expiring?

- Is it possible HTC can say you get our phone, but no competitive release within a month?

- Are there gentlemen rules - where Palm says ok we won't leak until after Evo release?

- I can see a real issue if Palm releases a killer device on Sprint 2 weeks after the Plus on At+t. Perhaps they release just a "plus+" glass screen a little bit more edge to edge but can still call it a Pre?

- Or do they still have such a backlog of Pre's that it makes no sense to release? But BestBuy seems to show out of stock of Sprint Pre's in most locations.

I've got a treopro with no backlight and don't really want the Evo, but need something new on Sprint soon ... I have read the threads and my plan is to wait until EVO launch and if no leaks - I'll probably get an EVO ...
    I am on my 3rd palm pre and ever since my first one iv been hooked . My first one, was bought new. The second was referbished. It didnt last long and so i called the insurence people and bla,bla,bla.This time I recived a new phone in the box. No problems for 5 to 7 months. then Last week(5/10/2010) , headphons in to listen to my music. I know that the pone should go back to the reciver. However Not only can i not talk. I must use a Blue Tooth head set or or put headphon to sspeak or listen and all the soud that are produced bt cant listen.

I have herd of this Happening to a pix but never a pre. Can some one help Me please
    P L E A S E!!!!!! i
    Regards
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast