Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    And HP makes solid hardware. I'd be willing to bet money that the HP Palm phone is a solid piece of hardware.

But I want it NOW
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    I can understand not wanting a blitz of new phones every month klike we see with android, but you really want them to make only one phone a year. Really...One???

I have been hoping that the buyout will result in a webos device of every flavor. I personally want a touchscreen only webos phone with a virtual keyboard. I know there are many others that would love a landscape slider.

I think this would be a great way to differentiate their product line. I don't get why no other company has tried this. Make one phone for each form factor (pixi, pre, touchslab, landscape slider) and make each one high end, so that the users can pick which one fills their needs best and not have to worry about specs.
    Because it costs companies a heck of a lot of money to do that, and then you end up with huge inventory issues. Does it make sense consumer wise? yes.. but it doesn't make business sense to do that. It only works for android because of their business model with HTC and it being licensed out, but look at the fragmentation problems it is/will have
    The More HP talks the more I believe they wanted WEB OS and the smartphone market is just secondary to them. In an interview just today they alluded to just that. Makes me think my next phone will probally not be a HP. Hate to say it but I see a ANdroid in my futue but I dont think its going to be the EVO.

ALso take this quote to mean that they will release phones that work hand in hand with HP devices and not competing with the Iphones and Evos'S. Thats the draw back from this purchase of Palm by HP. Its great for the Operating System. WEBOS has a super future BUT the PRe and WEBOS phones will not be competing devices. they will be WEBOS devices that complement the HP webos experiance.

TelecomTV | News | HP says it has big ideas for Palm's webOS

The company’s chairman and CEO Mark Hurd, revealed the strategy this week during the company’s quarterly earnings conference call. He had this to say about HP’s plans for Palm:

“It really has more to do with the intellectual property and the fact that when you look across the HP ecosystem of interconnected devices, it is a large family of devices and, we think, of printers. You’ve now got a whole series of web-connected printers and as they connect to the web you need an OS. We prefer to have that OS, in our case, be our IP where we can control the customer experience,” he said.

Hurd went to particular effort to reiterate that the acquisition was not meant specifically as a smartphone play. In addition to the emphasis on printers, he said that the Palm software would be useful to the company in products ranging from smartphones to tablets to notebooks. HP plans to use the webOS app store, as well, to distribute apps to these various devices including web-enabled printers, which represent an important and growing market for the company.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 05/20/2010 at 06:32 PM.
    I Think that Apple had maybe a little success with that policy. a new phone every year or so. And I hear what your saying but it doesnt make good business sense and again it worked wonders for apple.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    I can understand not wanting a blitz of new phones every month klike we see with android, but you really want them to make only one phone a year. Really...One???

I have been hoping that the buyout will result in a webos device of every flavor. I personally want a touchscreen only webos phone with a virtual keyboard. I know there are many others that would love a landscape slider.

I think this would be a great way to differentiate their product line. I don't get why no other company has tried this. Make one phone for each form factor (pixi, pre, touchslab, landscape slider) and make each one high end, so that the users can pick which one fills their needs best and not have to worry about specs.
    I am reminded of the Palm Folio that got "cancelled" because of limited resources by Palm and trying to focus on limited number of devices. With HP involved, I suspect that will not be the case.

That said, I am considering getting a Pre Plus but would have liked to see a slightly more buff hardware to keep in line with some of the newer hardware devices coming out.
    I thought HP said they would continue to support the current Palm roadmap this year and also focus on consumer as opposed to business--this suggests a new phone.

My read of the Palm financial forecast for remainder of this year (see link to my post below) suggests new phone hardware was planned for Oct/Nov and R&D was spent in the Q ending this month for that device.

http://forums.precentral.net/future-...device-q2.html
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123