Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    HP is the largest technology company on the planet. I think they have the resources and know how to work on multiple projects at the same time. I think their whole plan is to create a whole WebOS ecosystem for their products and smartphones will be an essential part of that system as well as tablets, printers, pc's, and other devices.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    If I was HP I would try to have an awesome flag ship device . One phone . Like what Apple does. and keep upgrading that phone every year like Apple does. Not this new phone every month like HTC.
    I like this thinking - I hope it could be the HP/Palm strategy. New hardware every year or so, with solid webOS improvements every couple of months, would be fine for me.
    I think this new phone release thing is going to be the first big hurdle for the Palm/HP buyout. I think there is some heavy stratagies going on in the background that we as consumers are not aware of. I think Palm as a stand alone company 'has' the new device just about ready to go but HP has a different ave for WebOS...like one poster said...one phat packed flagship phone. HP wants to keep the 'new' phone out because that will put there 'flagship' device back another year or two for release. I think that Palm reeaally wants to put out a new phone but are afraid that losing HP (deals not done) will be sure death for Palm. I also think they want to get WebOS out to as many people on different carriers as they can even if the Pre has some hardware issues ...its the platform they a shopping right now. Sooo it will slates first...flagship second...and pc equipped WebOS third.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Scardino View Post
    I am on my 3rd palm pre and ever since my first one iv been hooked . My first one, was bought new. The second was referbished. It didnt last long and so i called the insurence people and bla,bla,bla.This time I recived a new phone in the box. No problems for 5 to 7 months. then Last week(5/10/2010) , headphons in to listen to my music. I know that the pone should go back to the reciver. However Not only can i not talk. I must use a Blue Tooth head set or or put headphon to sspeak or listen and all the soud that are produced bt cant listen.

I have herd of this Happening to a pix but never a pre. Can some one help Me please
    P L E A S E!!!!!! i
    Regards
    oh it happens to pre's happened to both my brothers and mine this week and it's happened to me 4 times since june. It's a stupid deffect in the headphone jack which makes the phone still think the headphones are in. I can't even use bluetooth with it. The fix is either blowing in it, or sticking something in the jack and poking it around till it works. It's reasons like these I want a new device asap cus there's too many hardware defects. I also have the cracked usb door issue
  5. ads
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    HP needs to be in the mobile market because that's where all the growth is and they've floundered. This is their jumpstart into the pad field, the market field for webapps. I doubt they'd can existing smartphone pipeline, with the major assumption there is something in that pipeline for this year. I can see them changing hardware directions and partnering with Intel on a pad since they're tight there anyway, but they've got hardware engineers that can do that w/o pulling whatever is needed from the Palm phone section I'd expect.
    Unfortunately for me, I'm taking a hiatus on this board. Been on Palm/Handspring phones since the visorphone, on this board for 6.5 years. But I've been waiting a year for my Treo680 replacement, been out of contract for 1.5 years, and it's funny, I just got my AT&T pre-plus notice, but I'm not buying a phone that is year old technology in an environment where the product cycle is 6 months.
    I'll be checking back in from time to time, as I think the Palm crew, if they don't get swallowed up/watered down by HP, is better at UI than the Android offerings. Yet, that's what I'm going to buy here short term, supposing AT&T comes out with a real offering (high end like the Desire).

I really like this community, way more enthusiasm and centralized here than the endless Android forums. So I haven't lost the faith, so to speak, but I'm going to get something else and let the WebOS products catch up if they can. Maybe I can recommend a WebOS tablet for my sis early next year. If I give her something Android, I'll end up becoming her support person ... again ... LOL

Best,

ADS
    It will be a long wait, it's true.

But I'll say this... do not count out Jon Rubenstein just yet.

He is NOT a stupid guy, at all. When he was at Apple, he had a HUGE impact on that company at a crucial time. When he came on to lead Palm, he took a company that was pretty much dead in the water, and he came up with something that not only kept it alive, but laid the ground work for years to come.

We all know the problems with the Pre. It will be interesting to see what Jon can do with a company that has resources to truly innovate.

And yes, that will take time.

Okay, my revised guess is they will release a larger phone with a bigger screen and more memory late Fall. Then they will spend the next year working on the HP Palm phone. It won't come out for a while, but let me tell you, don't underestimate Jon, not yet. He might just be able to pull it off this time.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Yes because Palm have been doing no development prior to the HP purchase. They haven't been working on a new phone, updates to the OS or anything. The only thing they've been doing is integrating GSM radios and signing agreements with carriers!!!
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Scardino View Post
    I am on my 3rd palm pre and ever since my first one iv been hooked . My first one, was bought new. The second was referbished. It didnt last long and so i called the insurence people and bla,bla,bla.This time I recived a new phone in the box. No problems for 5 to 7 months. then Last week(5/10/2010) , headphons in to listen to my music. I know that the pone should go back to the reciver. However Not only can i not talk. I must use a Blue Tooth head set or or put headphon to sspeak or listen and all the soud that are produced bt cant listen.

I have herd of this Happening to a pix but never a pre. Can some one help Me please
    P L E A S E!!!!!! i
    Regards
    Brian, it sounds to me like you've been getting repeatedly screwed by palm devices. 3 different phones in a year? that is totally messed up. palm ought to be ashamed at the quality of their webos phones. they do not deserve the loyalty of the few customers they still have.
    Quote Originally Posted by dan-o View Post
    Brian, it sounds to me like you've been getting repeatedly screwed by palm devices. 3 different phones in a year? that is totally messed up. palm ought to be ashamed at the quality of their webos phones. they do not deserve the loyalty of the few customers they still have.
    Yes the hardware has build quality issues, but you will find if you read this forum a lot of people are still on their original Pre. No need to make it sound like all their phones are falling apart.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I'm on my original Pre and I feel that there is no excuse for the problems with build quality.

I have never ever had a problem with my Pre, but waaaay too many people have. And that is a BIG problem. Palm is very lucky that those of us loyal Pre owners who have had problems keep coming back. And I'm sure they know, the next Palm device has to be really solid. I'm pretty certain it will be. But if it isn't... there will be a big problem.
    I had to get 4 replacements. If the next phone has this many issues I'll probably leave HPalm.
    people calm down this post to me is just an opinion, though all the responses is too. In my eyes with the information as stated before when palm stated business as usuall rubenstien and company until 07/31 will stick to the statment, "getting new devices out as fast as possiable". HP did not just say they were using Web OS for everything but phones, and yes there are into the smartphone market hence the ipaqs even though they failed. HP bought Palm to compete in the cell phone market directly they stated that, why do people keep saying different. They will also compete directly with the tablet industry, but if they were not trying to compete in the smartphone market they would have bought palm, got rid of rubenstien and all the internals (because they have already a strong team of engineers) because they would only be focusing on tablets, and printers not smartphones. Your concerns to me don't make sense and as stated HP will back Palm 100% in regards to smartphone development. So once again NO HP is not abandoning the smartphone market, they are trying to compete heavily. So I expect the new phone which has been rumored all year long announced before the aquistion 07/31 after all the EVO and iphone hype, and be released as a 4G phone for sprint.
    HP bought Palm for their webOS, not for smartphones.

What you will probably see is Palm taking care of only smartphones, and you'll see HP taking care of tablets.
    Thats probably why HP is all talk about tablets only, and ruby and his team will deliver the smartphones on behalf of HP with all the resources possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    HP bought Palm for their webOS, not for smartphones.

What you will probably see is Palm taking care of only smartphones, and you'll see HP taking care of tablets.
    Thats probably why HP is all talk about tablets only, and ruby and his team will deliver the smartphones on behalf of HP with all the resources possible.
    That makes sense.

Palm will now have the money to create what they want -
    Quote Originally Posted by funkmeisterbrau View Post
    - Why would palm (or sprint) want to lose out in the people w contracts expiring?

- Is it possible HTC can say you get our phone, but no competitive release within a month?

- Are there gentlemen rules - where Palm says ok we won't leak until after Evo release?

- I can see a real issue if Palm releases a killer device on Sprint 2 weeks after the Plus on At+t. Perhaps they release just a "plus+" glass screen a little bit more edge to edge but can still call it a Pre?

- Or do they still have such a backlog of Pre's that it makes no sense to release? But BestBuy seems to show out of stock of Sprint Pre's in most locations.

I've got a treopro with no backlight and don't really want the Evo, but need something new on Sprint soon ... I have read the threads and my plan is to wait until EVO launch and if no leaks - I'll probably get an EVO ...
    My understanding is that Sprint will be promoting EVO into the fall. A new Palm device is to be released in time for the Holidays, but Sprint intends to have EVO as the flagship device at least through the fall.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    "Used to" is the key word. they were not very good at it. They phones stank. Having Palm will help them . If I was HP I would try to have an awesome flag ship device . One phone . Like what Apple does. and keep upgrading that phone every year like Apple does. Not this new phone every month like HTC.
    I can understand not wanting a blitz of new phones every month klike we see with android, but you really want them to make only one phone a year. Really...One???

I have been hoping that the buyout will result in a webos device of every flavor. I personally want a touchscreen only webos phone with a virtual keyboard. I know there are many others that would love a landscape slider.

I think this would be a great way to differentiate their product line. I don't get why no other company has tried this. Make one phone for each form factor (pixi, pre, touchslab, landscape slider) and make each one high end, so that the users can pick which one fills their needs best and not have to worry about specs.
    Quote Originally Posted by dguidry12 View Post
    Carriers usually market a product a minimum of 2 months before its actual release date. We've seen this with Verizon, Sprint, At&T when it came to the Pre right?
    i don't recall these guys marketing the Pre at all

in all seriousness, I think Apple's short marketing/release schedule is going to begin to gain a lot of traction in the tech industry. Just imagine if the Pre was ready to launch 3 months after it was announced. It probably would have had a stronger launch buzz, and the wait to launch on Verizon, ATT and in Europe would have been easier to stomach...

Keeping your cards closer to your chest for longer also allows you to make a better first impression because it affords more time to work out bugs. Since their is no public deadline, there is less pressure. I honestly think palm is simply waiting until its ready to really make its mark before showing it off.

Also lets not forget HP has MONEY IN THE BANK. Exclusivity agreements could potentially have less effect on them because they have the $ to launch more then one device in close proximity. I know people here are against fragmentation, but if the devices are similar enough, we won't have to worry about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I'm pretty sure HP didn't buy Palm in order to have something to throw money at and continue to lose money. It seems that they are pretty good at figuring out what markets to make money in. Apparently, they decided that the iPaq wasn't that competitive so it stagnated.
    right but if you look at the market right now smartphones is where the money is at (hence the reason why they stated they will be funding WEBOS, and keeping rubenstien and the internals aboard). Ipaq yes was a failure, but thats the business and Ipaq is clearly not a Palm. Palm has a name already and even with no money was able to take honors of the prefered OS on the market. HP is the leader is alot of the computer industry, so what else would be the beniefit of buying Palm, other then what they ALREADY STATED to take on the smartphone world.
    and the reason why Palm lost money was because of marketing, and not enough money to push the phone out fast enough with a effiecent and complete OS. ITs all about money people. If Palm had the money Web OS would be as popular as google. If Palm had the money the Palm Pre intially would have released on sprint as the pre plus, with as many apps as we have today, 3D games, and a 1.4.1 type OS out of the box. They dont have the money, now with HP they can not only provided top of the line hardware, and developers, they can not only mass market Web OS smartphones, they can not only develop an array of devices that the market wants at an increased rate. They can do it more efficently then Palm could have ever done. HP took a chance not a company with a so so OS people, they see the patential as all we do hopefully. So they decided to get back in the smartphone game like what dell and lenova is trying to do, by having under their unbrella a company thats been here longer then most, and with a OS that can directly compete with the likes of APPLE, and MICROSOFT. Lets face it Android OS is not on par with WebOS, Apple, or winmo7 it really isnt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    i don't recall these guys marketing the Pre at all

in all seriousness, I think Apple's short marketing/release schedule is going to begin to gain a lot of traction in the tech industry. Just imagine if the Pre was ready to launch 3 months after it was announced. It probably would have had a stronger launch buzz, and the wait to launch on Verizon, ATT and in Europe would have been easier to stomach...

Keeping your cards closer to your chest for longer also allows you to make a better first impression because it affords more time to work out bugs. Since their is no public deadline, there is less pressure. I honestly think palm is simply waiting until its ready to really make its mark before showing it off.

Also lets not forget HP has MONEY IN THE BANK. Exclusivity agreements could potentially have less effect on them because they have the $ to launch more then one device in close proximity. I know people here are against fragmentation, but if the devices are similar enough, we won't have to worry about that.

bravo somebody on here understands the industry very well said.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast