1.    #1  
    I made this thread questioning whether or not the pre 2 really had to match the specs of the EVO to sell.

My reasoning is that I truly believe webOS is the superior OS which means that perhaps the specs of the pre 2 does not have to necessarily match or exceed the specs of the EVO to sell well. I think the pre 2 will not match the EVO specs for some reason, but HP will make up for that by marketing the hell out of it and showing off the software side of palm rather than the hardware side.

So my question is, what are the minimum specs you think the pre 2 would need to have to sell well? (By selling well, I mean matching or exceeding the sales of the EVO)

Take into consideration:
    - The EVO's specs
    - The rumors/specs regarding the iPhone 4G & dell phones (sets a benchmark)
    - The massive financial/marketing arm of HP
    - The superiority of the webOS platform
    - The negativity surrounding palm devices

Specs to consider:
    - 4G
    - 4.3" Screen (800x480 TFT)
    - 1 Ghz snapdragon
    - HD output (720p)
    - HD video capture
    - Dual cameras (8MP)
    - Memory card slot
    - 1500 mAH battery
    - 512 mb RAM

I think the specs that the pre 2 must match to market effectively are:
    4G
    3.7" screen (larger screen)
    1 Ghz snapdragon
    1500 mAH battery

I think these are the vital elements that the pre 2 must have. The HD and dual cameras are very nice and I do want them badly. But I think HP can be able to successfully market a product with these bare minimum specs. I can imagine HP commercials showing off the new 4G Pre with webOS on a new and larger screen. I would still buy a pre with those bare minimum specs, would you?
    do we even know the specs of pre 2 ? Or better yet when it's coming out? Is it even gonna be a pre2 or c4 or whatever name people keep makin up for the next webos phone.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by gangland View Post
    do we even know the specs of pre 2 ? Or better yet when it's coming out? Is it even gonna be a pre2 or c4 or whatever name people keep makin up for the next webos phone.
    No we don't know the name or when it's launching. This is all speculation, but we do know what the competition is doing. Therefore we can speculate on what palm needs to do based on what the competition is doing.
    In order to gain the traction Palm needs the strategy needs to be BEAT the others and not just "Match"!! In this competetive market the victor goes to the spoils meaning that the new product should have a 10mp camera and a 1100mhz processor. It must be able to record HD video and have an equivalent screen size. As we can see the market is dominated by cool and new and not just software. Palm must set the new trend and standard in cell phones.
    you really cant specify processor speed, battery size, etc. It's more you want it "blazing fast" and with 15 hours of battery life under heavy use (or whatever). That way the engineers can use whatever combinations are needed to achieve the result.

You'd hate having a 1500mah battery that only gave you 5 hours...
    specs it should have
    3.7 display
    4g
    1ghz omap36x or omap4 dual core
    more than 512 of ram
    wifi N
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    anything less than a 4.3" screen will be unacceptable.
    especially if Palm wants to create "buzz" about the new product.
    I don't think it needs any specific specs to sell well. If it looks nice then the rest is marketing, marketing, marketing, and more marketing.
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    I don't think it needs any specific specs to sell well. If it looks nice then the rest is marketing, marketing, marketing, and more marketing.
    I love your avatar. I remember when I had the Palm III, and I bought a clear case for mine. Palm had given clear cases out at a developer conference, and I bought it off eBay. I had the coolest looking Palm III on the block, and all my friends were jealous...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I love your avatar. I remember when I had the Palm III, and I bought a clear case for mine. Palm had given clear cases out at a developer conference, and I bought it off eBay. I had the coolest looking Palm III on the block, and all my friends were jealous...
    Thanks, the Visor was one great pda. I got it as a hand-me-down from my mom and loved it. I had it 7-8 years ago. It was one of the first gadgets I ever really tinkered around with. I remember going online to get different games for it. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those games were put up by some of the people still around here today lol.
    More apps would probably help as well. Could there be an "iPhone", "Android", etc emulator maybe to open up a wealth of existing apps?
    Oh...who knows what specs will work or not work, but all these notions are spec based on what everyone else is doing.

I personally love everyone's suggestions, but Palm needs to be thinking outside the box and make waves that get noticed.

Pre Slate needs everything and thensome that Apple especially does not offer (expansion SD mem, USB, HDMI, Multiple Gesture areas, etc) and Android only hopes to offer.

Multiple gesture areas would be great especially when they are place at both top and bottom and left and right. The API could also be extended to allow use of these Gesture Areas to control from with applications when scrolling or in games for shifting and accelerating.

Sorli...
    Last edited by sorli; 05/22/2010 at 11:00 PM.