1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I was giving some thought today about a 4G Palm Pre, or what ever they will end up calling it. (Do keep in mind, that I do not yet own a Pre, I am still using my Centro. I cannot get a new phone until Oct, (no more 2 year contracts, or not being the primary phone, on the Bill anymore)).

Now I will be the first to say, while I may be the grandson of an electrician, I do not know much, about cell phone internal workings & design! So this thread may show how dumb I am!

The idea of 4G, is to be able to reach into places where cell reception is either lacking or poor, (such as a concrete and steel building, etc).

We all know that, Sprint will be the 1st to get the next generation Palm webOS phone and that Sprint will be selling a 4G phone, from another firm.

Let's say, for arguments sake, that since Palm knows it doesn't have to hoard the cash it has at hand, (since HP will shortly own Palm and they have very, very deep pockets).

How much work is it for them to change the next webOS phone from 3G to
    4G while it is still on the drawing board. Is it a major change to the design and to webOS?

Will it effect battery life? (I have read in these threads that if you keep 3G off it save the battery, will 4G use less or more power)?

Thanks as always, take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Actually the idea of 4g is similar to that of b band to g band to n band on a router. It's simply a new technology and architecture allowing faster transmission, which just so happens includes improvements in distance.

The process to go from 3g to 4g (while it's most likely 3g to 3g/4g) is a new radio. Which could include a complete redesign of the phone to accommodate changes is size and energy requirements, and new drivers as well.

From what makes sense, 4g will eat much more battery life as it needs to produce stronger and more frequent transmissions. The saving point will be new battery technology, hopefully, and just trying to use as little battery from the rest of the system as possible. Though I'm not really sure how much improvements were made in the 4g radio, it could be similar to 3g in power usage (though I'm betting not even close)
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Actually the idea of 4g is similar to that of b band to g band to n band on a router. It's simply a new technology and architecture allowing faster transmission, which just so happens includes improvements in distance.

The process to go from 3g to 4g (while it's most likely 3g to 3g/4g) is a new radio. Which could include a complete redesign of the phone to accommodate changes is size and energy requirements, and new drivers as well.

From what makes sense, 4g will eat much more battery life as it needs to produce stronger and more frequent transmissions. The saving point will be new battery technology, hopefully, and just trying to use as little battery from the rest of the system as possible. Though I'm not really sure how much improvements were made in the 4g radio, it could be similar to 3g in power usage (though I'm betting not even close)
    Which is more power intensive? Sending large amounts of data at a slow pace or large amounts of data at a faster pace. I have heard that while on 4g only, battery life could actually be better.

I could also be totally off base. I only know a little about the WiMax tech.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    The idea of 4G, is to be able to reach into places where cell reception is either lacking or poor, (such as a concrete and steel building, etc).
    Sprint's 4G will actually perform worse at penetrating objects (trees, buildings, mountains, hills, etc) than say the standard 850MHz/1900MHz CDMA signal because of the higher frequency signal that Clear has chosen for WiMax to ride on (2.5GHz). Clear is going to need to roll out a lot more towers because of this. [Disclaimer: I am speaking from almost a pure physics point of view, I'm not sure if Clear broadcast its WiMax signal at a higher power to make for this loss. Anyone know?]

This is probably where Verizon & AT&T have the 4G advantage. They snapped up a lot of the 700MHz spectrum for 4G/LTE which performs very well as far as coverage/object penetration [ThatsWhatSheSaid] is concerned.
    If Palm doesn't have a hardware design ready to go, then they're much farther behind that I think they are. Thus, as they say, it is what it is, and so if it doesn't have 4G, then it won't.

Personally, I'm guessing that the next-gen Palm smartphone will have 4G and will be announced/released in August. That might stretch to September, and it could be here in July, but August seems about right to me. But, if Palm is still making changes to the hardware then I doubt that we'll see it until 2011. And personally, I'd rather have a non-4G next-gen in August than a 4G in 2011.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  6.    #6  
    Hi, thank you to all of you.

As I see it, 4G will be a very good marketing point. Even if most people wouldn't know 3G from 4G.

I live 45 miles NW of Orlando. Sprint just added us Orlando, to the 4G list for next year. However, I doubt it would be in my area. Isn't 4G using the old TV frequencies? Even though Orlando is so close, you cannot get broadcast TV reception, (this is prior to digital, however the last time I tried, was 13 1/2 years ago).

Unless you have a 2 to 3 story mast, even for Orlando TV stations, you can not get broadcast TV. It certainly isn't b/c of a huge mountain range, here in the middle of central Florida, LOL.

My development prohibits exterior antenna, other than a mini dish, (which we have) or cable TV. (It's seems odd to me, b/c I lived in NYC for almost 40 years and TV reception was great with just rabbit ears).

If the TV signal coverage here is so bad, I would think that 4G coverage may not be in my area for a long, long time, in this county we are a cross between suburban and rural type area .

Back to my questions. I think a 3G/4G web/OS Palm phone will market well. After all Sprint already has, a long list for people wanting other companies 4G or 3G/4G, (which will be for sale, by the time a new Palm is rolled out).

I am not the best person, in terms of having to wait. Since I couldn't get a Pre and it was killing me. I certainly am chomping at the bit, to know what Palm will be rolling out next, (I am due a new phone in mid Oct.).

I know that Palm is burning cash much faster, since HP made the announcement, than before. I believe a bunch of jobs, were listed in an article on this site. To me, I see this as a sign that they are not just beefing up what they are currently working on.

They are also looking to design and build a webOS tablet as well. Since HP dumped it's Win 7 tablet, I am sure we will see a webOS tablet from Palm/HP. Frankly, I do not want a tablet, but I think that Palm needs to be in the marketplace.

There was a video on the web showing a HP win 7 tablet. I did much, much more than a Ipad can do, however b/c it was a full Win 7 & extra software to work in tablet format, it was extremely hard on batteries. Win 7 is so large, as it is meant to to so many things. WebOS was designed for wireless communications, so it should be fast, take up less space than win 7 and be easier on batteries!

Before the buy out announcement, I would said, Palm should stay away from a tablet, let alone a 4G tablet. This b/c Palm did not have enough funds. After all, webOS multitasks and even the next version of the Ipad/Iphone, will be a sort a quasi multitasking, not a full one. In that case, with HP's $ and marketing strength I am sure a Palm or Palm/HP tablet will be GREATTTTTT! I feel the same thing about the next generation Palm webOS phone. HP's size, marketing know how and $, will make the next Palm PDA/smart phone a hit.

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi, thank you to all of you.

As I see it, 4G will be a very good marketing point. Even if most people wouldn't know 3G from 4G.

I live 45 miles NW of Orlando. Sprint just added us Orlando, to the 4G list for next year. However, I doubt it would be in my area. Isn't 4G using the old TV frequencies? Even though Orlando is so close, you cannot get broadcast TV reception, (this is prior to digital, however the last time I tried, was 13 1/2 years ago).

Unless you have a 2 to 3 story mast, even for Orlando TV stations, you can not get broadcast TV. It certainly isn't b/c of a huge mountain range, here in the middle of central Florida, LOL.

My development prohibits exterior antenna, other than a mini dish, (which we have) or cable TV. (It's seems odd to me, b/c I lived in NYC for almost 40 years and TV reception was great with just rabbit ears).

If the TV signal coverage here is so bad, I would think that 4G coverage may not be in my area for a long, long time, in this county we are a cross between suburban and rural type area .

Back to my questions. I think a 3G/4G web/OS Palm phone will market well. After all Sprint already has, a long list for people wanting other companies 4G or 3G/4G, (which will be for sale, by the time a new Palm is rolled out).

I am not the best person, in terms of having to wait. Since I couldn't get a Pre and it was killing me. I certainly am chomping at the bit, to know what Palm will be rolling out next, (I am due a new phone in mid Oct.).

I know that Palm is burning cash much faster, since HP made the announcement, than before. I believe a bunch of jobs, were listed in an article on this site. To me, I see this as a sign that they are not just beefing up what they are currently working on.

They are also looking to design and build a webOS tablet as well. Since HP dumped it's Win 7 tablet, I am sure we will see a webOS tablet from Palm/HP. Frankly, I do not want a tablet, but I think that Palm needs to be in the marketplace.

There was a video on the web showing a HP win 7 tablet. I did much, much more than a Ipad can do, however b/c it was a full Win 7 & extra software to work in tablet format, it was extremely hard on batteries. Win 7 is so large, as it is meant to to so many things. WebOS was designed for wireless communications, so it should be fast, take up less space than win 7 and be easier on batteries!

Before the buy out announcement, I would said, Palm should stay away from a tablet, let alone a 4G tablet. This b/c Palm did not have enough funds. After all, webOS multitasks and even the next version of the Ipad/Iphone, will be a sort a quasi multitasking, not a full one. In that case, with HP's $ and marketing strength I am sure a Palm or Palm/HP tablet will be GREATTTTTT! I feel the same thing about the next generation Palm webOS phone. HP's size, marketing know how and $, will make the next Palm PDA/smart phone a hit.

Take care, Jay
    The old broadcast TV frequencies were in the 500MHz - 800MHz range. A lot of that was reallocated for other usage (one of which is for cellular use for AT&T and Verizone for their 4G coverage) during the analog TV to digital TV transisition. Sprint/Clear is deploying WiMax/Sprint 4G on the 2.5GHz frequency band.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I'm betting it will drop battery life(more so in poor coverage areas), if you add another radio it should drain more juice.

LTE does have the better freq range for penetrating structures, but has about a 5x smaller coverage area per antenna. So with enough money wimax could cover more area alot quicker. We'll see with all the evo beta testers just how well it works indoors.
  9.    #9  
    Thank you so for the info. Only time will tell what Palm/HP will be coming out with next! All I know is, that come Oct, I will own one!

Take care, Jay