Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Hey folks,

Right now a bunch of people over on the Treo 180 forum are talking about the right way to maintain the battery on the Treo. The basic premise here is that the Li-Ion battery is DIFFERENT than other battery types such as NiMH or Ni-Cad and that the best idea is to keep this battery constantly "topped off." Of course this is contrary to basic wisdom for those other batteries which recommend an occasional DEEP discharge for healthy life.

Now I know that Li-Ion batteries don't ahve a memory and are MUCH denser than the other batteries so they hold a longer charge. However, everything I could find on the Web seems to indicate that EVERY battery type needs a good discharging on a regular basis to last a long time.

If someone could point to a Web site (and/or really explain why this is not so) please take the floor. I really would like my battery to last longer than a year and don't feel like paying $120 to replace it should it go bad because I am not charging it right. Any help and info is appreciated. The original thread is at: http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=24407

--Denny
    If you want the Lithium battery in the Treo to last a very ling time, then you should not make it go less than 10%. If you dont believe, email Handspring and ask them. Unlike NiCad and NiMH batteries, Lithium batteries like to be topup on a regular basis.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Cool and I trust that you are right. I just want someone to explain (or point to a Web site) that indicates why.

The Treo 270 FAQs DO state: "And unlike some older technology batteries, Lithium Ion batteries don't need to be fully drained between charging cycles. So it's really convenientójust "top off" whenever you have a chance." But I would like to understand this or at least see a Web site that talks about this in more detail.
    --Denny
    'Topped off on a regular basis' is NOT the same as leaving it plugged in on your desk all the time (which is what the folks in the 180 forum are recommending).

I've had laptops with Li-Ion batteries before. The surest way to kill the battery was to always use the laptop with the power cord and battery both installed. After a few months of that the battery would be useless.

Now the question is, does the battery die from being plugged in all the time? Or does it die from never being discharged?
    Well there is a while book written on Lithium Ion Batteries. Check out http://www.electrochem.org/sc/past/19202.htm

For more details about Lithium Ion batteries, check out:

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/L/Lith...n_battery.html

You can find some more links by doing a search for "Lithium Ion Battery Technology"{ at www.google.com.

Originally posted by dbasham
    Cool and I trust that you are right. I just want someone to explain (or point to a Web site) that indicates why.

The Treo 270 FAQs DO state: "And unlike some older technology batteries, Lithium Ion batteries don't need to be fully drained between charging cycles. So it's really convenientójust "top off" whenever you have a chance." But I would like to understand this or at least see a Web site that talks about this in more detail.
    --Denny
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Thanks Yardie. I'll check those out later today.
    --Denny
    Originally posted by jchristopher
    I've had laptops with Li-Ion batteries before. The surest way to kill the battery was to always use the laptop with the power cord and battery both installed. After a few months of that the battery would be useless.
    That is totally wrong. You can leave them plugged in just fine.

I've had my laptop for two years, and for most of its live it has been plugged in with the battery, usually I use the battery for 20 minutes once or twice a week at the most. The battery lifeis almost as good as new. The same goes for four years of cell phone use, all my cell batteries have never lost any battery life.

I hope someone finds a website that tells you the facts so we can put all these arguments to rest.
    I'm still not sure that there is a consensus on this issue.

I just got my 270 and do not want to have to send it in anytime soon just because I've goofed up it's charge cycles.

Drain it - or keep it topped off?

Still waiting for a specific answer from HS. Supposedly the 270 has a different battery than the 180.

Wow does the battery drain quickly when online.