1.    #1  
    Didn't see anyone post this yet, so here it is:
    http://www.technewsworld.com/story/69897.html?wlc=1273177102
    Thanks for the link. It was an interesting read, but I completely disagree with this guy on several issues. I do hope though that Palm does become a game changer. That's something I'd like to see.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I like the comment about HP thin-clients; I'm excited about being able to access my CoCreate (a former HP product) solid models from my phone.

Also interesting is the HP mini laptop my wife recently got, which comes pre-loaded with zumodrive (who has a nice client for WebOS).
    Apple definitely has HTC (Android) in it's sites right now, all of sudden Andorid's future is not looking so bright.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Apple definitely has HTC (Android) in it's sites right now, all of sudden Andorid's future is not looking so bright.
    It's really no different than when SCO went after users of Linux (IBM, Novell). A lot of buzz up front, several years of legal maneuvering, return to status quo plus or minus a few minor payouts. Apple doesn't have enough real clout to sink HTC AND Motorola AND Samsung AND LG and whomever else jumps on the Android bandwagon and apparently they're too chicken to directly face the source (Google).
    What a crap article. Android 2nd to rim. iphone will continue to dominate HPalm for a good while.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    It's really no different than when SCO went after users of Linux (IBM, Novell). A lot of buzz up front, several years of legal maneuvering, return to status quo plus or minus a few minor payouts. Apple doesn't have enough real clout to sink HTC AND Motorola AND Samsung AND LG and whomever else jumps on the Android bandwagon and apparently they're too chicken to directly face the source (Google).
    There is a big difference and it is called patents. HTC has roughly 60 odd patents compared to Apple's arsenal of thousands and when Apple gets through with HTC there won't be much left of Android.
    Apple is not as powerful in the patent war as it thinks.

First, Apple's patents are mostly prior art in the HTC lawsuit. I was able to find versions of most of their "patents" dating from the early 1990s and late 1980s.

Secondly, HTC has fewer patents, but that doesn't mean Apple isn't invalidating them.

Third, Apple's suit also targets HTC Windows Mobile phones. All WinMo licensees are automatically indemnified by Microsoft as part of the licensing agreement. That means MS will step in to defend HTC on the WinMo side, and MS has a ton of patents of its own.

Apple has a history of trying to stop competition through lawsuits. They did it in the Apple II salad days. They did it in the Mac salad days. They are doing it now in the iPhone salad days. In the Apple II and Mac situations, it didn't save them from competition, and I'm amazed they're repeating their old mistake again.
    I don't think Apple's lawsuit will kill either HTC or Android. Usually, lawsuits like this just take FOREVER and end up with companies quietly exchanging some money. After that, it's business as usual.

I was strangely excited by the thought of Android dying before I realized that I like Android. And I hate Apple. That would be upsetting news.

I think I'm just bitter over Verizon's treatment of the Droid vs the Pre.
    one point of history. Do you remember what happened to SCO?

I believe microsoft bought them.

technically that makes microsoft to oldest unix vendor, which is weird!
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    There is a big difference and it is called patents. HTC has roughly 60 odd patents compared to Apple's arsenal of thousands and when Apple gets through with HTC there won't be much left of Android.
    By your post, it appears you think patent disputes involve everyone unzipping and laying their patents out on the table with the "biggest" portfolio winning. While your approach might be entertaining (and revealing), real patent lawsuits are about which specific patents are infringed, how they specifically were infringed, and how this materially affects the plaintiff. Making a wide cast across a portfolio of patents in hopes that one or two might stick won't get you a day in court. SCO tried this tactic and after almost a decade, its netted them nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by cantaffordit
    one point of history. Do you remember what happened to SCO?

I believe microsoft bought them.

technically that makes microsoft to oldest unix vendor, which is weird!
    SCO is still functioning (albeit poorly) as a lawsuit leech with the most recent ruling against them (in their suit against Novell) happening as recently as March of this year (link). You might be confusing SCO with Novell who has a big part on the open source software world with SUSELinux. Novell entered into a patent partnership with Microsoft in Nov 2006 much to the consternation of the open source software community. Now the rumor mills are saying Microsoft is hot to purchase Novell outright.
    ... I totally didn't even know any of this was happening. Time to dive into some articles and read, read, read.