Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Apple just bought siri, a voice recognition based personal assistant.

Google has it's voice input which replaces typing when you wish.

Windows Phone 7 has Microsoft voice recognition too it seems.

Palm still doesn't have a voice recorder.. voice dial.. let alone an answer to voice input...

I think it is important now and will only become more so in the future of mobile devices.

er.. HP could work with nuance for voice work maybe?

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    personally i could care less about voice features. Never liked using them. But Palm said that this is coming soon. this was during the development conference
    a voice recorder just hit preware. The rest will be here soon.
    As said before, vvoice recognition GPS will be cool.
    I'm sure they are working on it. Probably something we will see in 2.0.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I believe I read that the next SDK (which is coming out soon or may already be out before the next update in a month or so) is going to have mic access. I thought I read that on these boards?
  7.    #7  
    kalex,cantafforditt.. I am using precorder.. I know voice dialer is coming... This is about voice imput. Read.

If you are able to just ask your phone a question and get a smart result or have the ability to txt friends back with a single button press palm phones suddenly look and feel a bit outdated.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    i 'm fairly sure hp will implement something. Palm isn't going to currently create anything more than a mic api, not with their current recourses.
    Yeah it will get there. If you've ever looked into the Linux stuff, there are already place holders for voice.

So once 2.0 comes out, I think Palm will get in there.

Remember, there are more pressing needs right now.

They are rewriting the underlying structure of WebOS to allow for better speed and developer options. That stuff is supposed to hit sometime in Sept according to the last few Palmcast (podcasts) that talked about the 'Developer Conference' that just took place.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

I don't understand when people say they don't have the resources. But homebrew/patch developers can make an app/patch in a day to add a feature but palm cant.

And I'm not trying to start argument either.
  11.    #11  
    I hope so. Yeah I agree koolkid, are their just a bunch of idiots working at palm?

how many people actually use (or want to use) voice control? So far I have find it too bothersome to be useful. Partly this is because voice recognition is not accurate enough. Partly it is just too slow.

Simple things like making a call is fast on a Pre by just typing in the person's name when all the app are in card mode.

For dictation, even on a desktop computer it is slow.

Finally, if I receive a call while driving, I answer with the car's bluetooth kit.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    I don't understand when people say they don't have the resources. But homebrew/patch developers can make an app/patch in a day to add a feature but palm cant.

And I'm not trying to start argument either.
    I think there's two issues you need to understand.

1. It is a prioritization thing. Palm has all their developers busy working on some feature or bug fixes. Until voice recognition percolates up in priority, it doesn't get implemented. Homebrew, OTOH, can work on what they want when they want so they can create "niche" features.

2. When a company implements a feature, it needs to be done at a much more stringent level, with testing and whatnot, than what a homebrew developer does. Most companies have a process where a marketing person researches what people want from that feature and write that up. Then the developer writes a design document that is reviewed by the marketing person and by the quality assurance testers. When everyone is ok with that document, the developer implements the feature. Then the quality assurance test it and find a bunch of problems with edge cases and bugs which need to be fixed.

A homebrew developer can skip all that and implement whatever feature he wants. Usually, he doesn't have a quality assurance team so he tests it a little and then puts it out and users help test it. It is a _lot_ faster because he skips all the process that a company has to go thru.
  14.    #14  
    Have you used googles voice search and voice to txt? It's amazing!
    I never used siri but from the looks of it, reviews, and the fact apple bought them.. It's amazing!

Much better than computer voice programs. Try it then you can form an opinion.

Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PRedwood View Post
    how many people actually use (or want to use) voice control? So far I have find it too bothersome to be useful. Partly this is because voice recognition is not accurate enough. Partly it is just too slow.

Simple things like making a call is fast on a Pre by just typing in the person's name when all the app are in card mode.

For dictation, even on a desktop computer it is slow.

Finally, if I receive a call while driving, I answer with the car's bluetooth kit.
    I used it all the time with my previous two phones - just flip the phone open, say a name, and it dialed. Fantastic help in the car. Never had a problem with voice recognition or speed.

I was surprised it was not a feature on a smart phone. And not all my cars have BT for an in-car system.

Typing a person's name while driving is not safe; calling with voice recognition is safer (the BT in my Honda, eg, is "Call yyy home/mobile/work" and my eyes never leave the road).
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Have you used googles voice search and voice to txt? It's amazing!
    I never used siri but from the looks of it, reviews, and the fact apple bought them.. It's amazing!

Much better than computer voice programs. Try it then you can form an opinion.
    looks like your forming an opinion without trying it

I've never liked voice stuff, so honestly I hope they work on other things....
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    I would like to think this...

It's just a philosophical difference between Palm and these other manufacturers... I would like to believe.

And i would like to agree with them...

Palm believes in the hardware keyboard. In the replaceable battery.

No to onscreen keyboards. No to voice inputs.

Really, how hard is it to type? Its a nice example of how technology fosters obesity. next time around we'll be going to work in our sleep with "Surrogates" (sorry i just watched the movie)

Oh, let me correct that. This is my OWN Philosophy, not Palm's. Purely speculation in my part.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    It's just a philosophical difference between Palm and these other manufacturers.

Really, how hard is it to type?
    In a car, it's not philosophical - it's a legal issue. No, it's not hard; and yes, it's often illegal.
    I have to agree with the OP. I've been really surprised that Palm hasn't provided access to the mic before now and doesn't have at least a basic voice-dial feature. I've actually been able to make do just fine with quick dial software ... but no mic access on a PHONE ... really??!!

I'm hoping that the delay is because they're working on some really killer voice access/recognition feature ... but that's probably just wishful thinking.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    I would like to think this...

It's just a philosophical difference between Palm and these other manufacturers... I would like to believe.

And i would like to agree with them...

Palm believes in the hardware keyboard. In the replaceable battery.

No to onscreen keyboards. No to voice inputs.

Really, how hard is it to type? Its a nice example of how technology fosters obesity. next time around we'll be going to work in our sleep with "Surrogates" (sorry i just watched the movie)

Oh, let me correct that. This is my OWN Philosophy, not Palm's. Purely speculation in my part.
    Android phones have replaceable batteries and hardware keyboards, you know.
    Oh and amazing voice translation.

It just is another thing palm is missing in this game. I have a feeling this is where things are going.. and that palm doesn't realize it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast