Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I went to the Verizon store today and was looking at the phones. I am thinking of getting the Pre. I currently have the Motorola Droid.

I'm not sure if I want to get the phone and now I am seeing rumors of a new one coming out this summer.

It's hard to pass up the Verizon deal. The phone is 29.99 and you get free mobile hotspot.
    Check into going with the one year contract. It will be a little bit more expensive (about $100.00) but it only ties you down for a year. But you might like the phone enough to go with it for two years. OR... play with them for the course of your 30 days trial and then you can decide to go with the two or one year contract.
    get it. I love mine. Went in to buy a droid, ended up with a pre.

vz won't have anything new for a while.

they will work with you if something new comes out in 12 months.

you will love the pre.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    get it. I love mine. Went in to buy a droid, ended up with a pre.

vz won't have anything new for a while.

they will work with you if something new comes out in 12 months.

you will love the pre.
    Yeah I am thinking about it. Just wish it had more apps such as Shazam and some others.

Price is also playing a factor and the fact that the mobile hot spot is free as of now.
    If you go with a 2-year contract, you can still get a discounted upgrade after the first 12 months. It just isn't the "new every two" free phone that they offer to dumb-phone customers.

I upgraded from Treo to Centro after 12 months, for example. I did the same thing to go from 700p to 755p (with a tragic few weeks with 700wx in between - but I've had therapy to recover from that).

As long as you entend to stay with Verizon, it's a pretty safe bet. I just know I might pay $50-$100 more for the next phone than the best subsidized price, but that's worth it for me to get the latest phone if it does something that I really need.

I hope that helps... The good news is you have 30 days to fall in love with the Pre.
    Get it! For $29.99 it's the best phone in the world.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    Get it! For $29.99 it's the best phone in the world.
    Most likely will.

I know this is a pre forum but what are some of the cons to the phone. I would also like to know the pros.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsaunders View Post
    Most likely will.

I know this is a pre forum but what are some of the cons to the phone. I would also like to know the pros.
    The cons are 1-lack of apps, the app catalog is continually growing but since webOS is still young it can't compare to other app catalogs for older OS's like android's for example.
    2- The hardware could be better. I've had mine for 8 months with no problems but some people have not faired as well, which is well documented through out these forums.

I could go on all day about the pros To name a few, synergy, multitasking, gesture area, excellent picture screen(indoors or out), universal search, real keyboard, homebrew community and the ability to to customize your phone with patches and themes, the ability to communicate with the Devs and the supportive community here at Precentral.

Check out this thread for more info:http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...e-welcome.html
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Most likely will.

Cons:

Battery life: About the same as an iPhone, but with the ability to swap batteries and/or use an extended-life battery that iPhone doesn't have. This is especially important when you first get it, because you won't be able to put it down and you will pound your battery for hours at a time!

Missing features: Not all that is missing matters to everyone. The stuff I miss are things my Centro could do like volume controls for apps, ringer, and alarms. Currently the colume controls all three. Also, I had to buy a 3rd pary app to synch with outlook like I did with my Centro - but at least there is such a thing (nothing available for Droids - deal breaker for me). Contacts no longer have category fields, but that isn't huge because I still use Outlook for most editing. I am legendary around here in my oposition to syncing with gmail...

Others really seem to miss voice dialing, periodic lack of GPS accuracy, occasional looseness of the keyboard slider (no different than the way flip phones would lose springiness IMHO). There are a few other threads where people talk about what features they miss, but I haven't seen much else that hits my radar...

WebOS doesn't have 150,000 apps like an iPhone, even though 50,000 are just fart sounds... There are only a few iPhone apps I wish the Pre had. But, the catalog is growing daily so it will eventually get there...

Most of the features people like me care about are there, or available from the homebrew community. They have added an incredible amount of functionality. The big negative is that you have to be willing to install homebrew stuff and tinker with your phone to get it just the way you want to. But, it is simple enough that most can figure it out, and the results are oh-so-satisfying...

There are so many things it does that other phones can't, and it does them so much better - I had no problem giving up a few things. Most of them will probably come with future updates to WebOS. Palm has added a lot of functionality to WebOS since it first shipped in June of 2009. For me, I need a phone, great management of contacts and calendar, and that's it. The rest is gravy, and the Pre+ has more gravy than any other phone, IMHO

Do a quick search of PreCentral forums and you will find threads with feature requests/complaints. That way you will know what others have identified and make the call as to whether any of them are deal breakers for what you need in a phone.

But seriously, go get the phone and dive in. Don't overthink this. It's hard to explain, but you will understand once you have one to play with.
  10.    #10  
    I currently have the Motorola Droid and have it rooted, so I have no problem doing stuff like that - :P

I do like the sync for GMail that is where all my contacts are stored. Does the phone sync to GMail.

Yeah I figure I have 30 days - :P
    The Pre will sync with gmail, as well as other "cloud" services. The Droid requires gmail. I like choice.

I also refuse to put my 3,000+ contacts and important info in Google's hands given that they index everything and have a history of doing stupid things with other people's info. But that's just me. So, I see it as an advantage that their are third-party tools like CompanionLink and PocketMirror that provide the sync paradigm I liked so much with my previous Palm devices.

I liked everything about the MotoDroid except the keyboard and the lack of being able to sync with Outlook without using gmail... Those were deal breakers for me.

But, 20 minutes playing with the Pre+ and I was hooked. WebOS is hard to explain, but every time I let an iPhone friend use it... they are blown away. It just feels right.
  12.    #12  
    My other issue is that I am seeing VZW blocks GPS. That bothers me they did that with the Blackberry 8830WE. It took a few OS updates to get it working from them.

Maybe I should get it from AT&T but then I will have to pay 150 for it and not get free mobile hot spot - :\
    My other issue is that I am seeing VZW blocks GPS. That bothers me they did that with the Blackberry 8830WE. It took a few OS updates to get it working from them.

Maybe I should get it from AT&T but then I will have to pay 150 for it and not get free mobile hot spot - :\
    OK, you are thinking too hard. It's just a phone. Don't agonize. Here are some thoughts.

GPS, the issue is only aGPS, so it is still possible to use the GPS signal. There are several people working hard to figure out how to best use the GPS radio and work around any limitations. I have very little problem with my GPS signal, but I only use it for Yelp and Latitude, not navigation. Is it a deal breaker if you don't have pinpoint accuracy with google maps? If so, you wont get any better than the motodroid because it has a unique implementation of google maps that duplicates the functionality of VZ Navigator. I use a Garmin because I think a little cellphone is not something I should be looking at for directions when I'm trying to drive...

Hot Spot. Theoretically you can use MyTether to create the same functionality on AT&T or Sprint that is available with the VZ Hotspot. I don't know what would happen on AT&T, but we will probably know as soon as someone gets an AT&T Pre+ to try it on. Personally, I have AT&T at the bottom of my list of carriers because I've had so many problems with them over the years. I used BellSouth/Cingular/AT&T for 8 years before I finally moved to Verizon - and I haven't looked back. All my iPhone friends acknowledge that their 3g coverage stinks, and I can't stand calling them because the call quality is almost as bad as the frequency of dropped calls.

I paid $150 for my VZ Pre+ just a few months ago. I easily got $150 in entertainment from it so I don't feel bad that it has dropped in price so fast. I'm sure AT&T will be discounting it within a few months, although it may never get down to $29. Verizon did such a poor job promoting the pre that I'm surprised they haven't had to pay people to take them because the VZ sales people just push everyone to Droid...

If it's this agony to make the decision... you might have some other issues to work on. It's a phone, it's a toy, it's not life or death. I really hope you will run down to VZ and get on after church tomorrow because I think you will love it. But, if you are going to agonize or second guess yourself and panic with every issue for the next 29 days, you should probably keep your Droid.

Pre+ FTW at my house.
  14.    #14  
    I like you Cantaffordit, you are honest and to the point - :P

I am just looking for a phone that I can stick with. I have been through so many different phones. Nothing seems to keep me locked. (BB did for the longest time)

I was on Windows Mobile for awhile (didn't like it). I then moved over to BB for a good while, then over to a Treo. I stuck with the Treos for a few years then moved over to the BB for a few years, then went to Android.

Android is nice but it's missing something. Treos and BB were by far my favorite, but BB is lacking on the OS and they just rehash it every few months and it's the same old same old OS.

I would go over to AT&T because my wife has an iPhone but I am on a family plan with VZW (Got my phone as a b-day present from my parents, so I had to switch over).

I figure I will pick up the pre sometime this week -
    maybe fall but pre plus still great with overclock
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    i'm sprint, not vz, but i used to switch to the new phone everytime one was released, i had to have the 'next best' thing.

i have had a pre since launch day last year and love it. absolutley love it! i am zero interest in the android phones. the couple apps they offer that we dont have that i would be interested (barcode and shazaam) would be cool, but they wont make me leave the pre, no way.

GPS issue resolved. Evidence that teh WebOS homebrew community is better than any other platform.

Have you ordered your Pre+ yet???
    http://www.precentral.net/patch-fix-...eased#comments
  18.    #18  
    I am thinking about it. I have to get everything straightened out with changing the phones. I am on a family plan so I will need to use one of the other phones upgrades - :P

Maybe I can code an app like barcode scanner.
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    Maybe I can code an app like barcode scanner.
    yeeeessss, do IT! lol
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by tsnum4 View Post
    yeeeessss, do IT! lol
    I wouldn't know where to begin. I don't know the SDK - :P
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast