Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1.    #1  
    I work for a company that makes stock trading software. I myself know little about the nitty gritty of stock trading as I do graphic design for the marketing department.

    We have a "Trading Pit" we're people actively trade with our software to make it better and be on top of the market in general.

    One of our mathematicians, who develops a lot of the strategies that our software uses, just got a Pre. We were talking about the apps and homebrew and such and i was recommending Precental for research and info. He also mentioned that the HTC Evo will probably be his next purchase and he'll eBay his Pre (as that's how he got it).

    I started talking about the HP deal and how I hoped that HP could really help Palm make some great, top end hardware phones to really put WebOS on top in the next Pre/Palm phone.

    From what he sees in the business models of these type of purchases, he really thinks that HP will most likely push the Palm as a phone to the side and instead use WebOS on tablets and license WebOS for third party phone manufactures, like HTC.

    I mentioned that HTC chose not to buy Palm, but he said that owning a failing company and licensing its salvaged software are to very different things. HTC has much more benefit of just using the Os.

    Makes me wonder what the future holds for Palm phones.
    Always pimpin' PunnyShirts.com
  2. #2  
    I don't find this a very likely scenario. Hp has stated themselves many times that they have big plans for webos. I think that they realize that the industry is headed towards mobile computing, and they own their own os now to compete with the big players. I think they purchased palm to go head on with apple. At least in the short term. Who knows what will plan out in the next 5-10 years, but for now it is very likely that most of palm, including its branding, will stay intact.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by sveilien View Post
    Makes me wonder what the future holds for Palm phones.
    Frankly, I don't care about Palm phones. Like, what will a "Palm Phone" be after the company itself formally dissolves after the purchase? I care about having a smartphone that runs WebOS. They can call it a Gimcrackly Phone for all I care, just give me one with lots of memory and processor speed and a reliable hardware build.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    I don't find this a very likely scenario. Hp has stated themselves many times that they have big plans for webos. I think that they realize that the industry is headed towards mobile computing, and they own their own os now to compete with the big players. I think they purchased palm to go head on with apple. At least in the short term. Who knows what will plan out in the next 5-10 years, but for now it is very likely that most of palm, including its branding, will stay intact.
    I agree with this, and while I suppose it's not outside the realm of reason to think that HP could license webOS, I don't see them doing it. I don't think they want to sell mobile OS software any more than does Apple. They want to be able to control the hardware, software, and services running on mobile devices with the HP (Palm) brand. That's ultimately the better position.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by sveilien View Post
    ...
    Makes me wonder what the future holds for Palm phones.
    I'm not mathematician, but I've been the IT business for a couple of decades (plus). One could write a book on the variety of tech industries HP has been involved in since their founding, but the short version is - there have been many, and they tend to follow trending developments.

    Most of us today know them for the printers and computers. Those fields are flat compared to the growth of the mobile phone industry. Anyone that believes for a second that they are going to abandon their "toe in the door" of mobile phones doesn't understand the company, or the field.
  6. #6  
    HP as traditionally created their own hardware, but they may decide to forsake smartphone hardware in this case and just license WebOS to other manufacturers. That would be a smart way to get WebOS in a lot of hands. I agree that they'll also be using it in their tablets as well...
    Last edited by vortmax; 05/07/2010 at 12:59 PM. Reason: accuracy
  7. #7  
    I guess it's possible. But if that were in the cards then HP needs to help Palm mature the platform before it is attractive enough to license. webOS seems far less valuable as a licensed OS today than it could be in the future with some polish and mometum.

    What does that mean for us inthe short term (2-3 years)? A better Palm phone hardware and software wise.

    Another thing that could be a sign of HP's direction for Palm...just take a look at which upper level management jumped-ship just before the buyout was announced. That may be a indication of something here.
  8. #8  
    This indicates that the smartphone market is still small, and has massive growth ahead. It makes sense for HP to make another stab at making phones now that they have the ability to differentiate themselves from those that are using WinMo or Android.

    I'd say your friend may be predicting a possible outcome, but certainly not HP's strategy or intention for buying Palm. Also, Palm has a pipeline of products and an expected revenue stream. The pending acquisition means that they have to accelerate their schedule and meet their objectives until HP can start to influence product development toward the end of 2010 or early 2011.

    Think Everyone Has a Smartphone? Think Again [STATS]
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by DS_Palm_Lvr View Post
    Frankly, I don't care about Palm phones. Like, what will a "Palm Phone" be after the company itself formally dissolves after the purchase? I care about having a smartphone that runs WebOS. They can call it a Gimcrackly Phone for all I care, just give me one with lots of memory and processor speed and a reliable hardware build.
    Then maybe change your username to DS_WebOS_Lvr?
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    This indicates that the smartphone market is still small, and has massive growth ahead. It makes sense for HP to make another stab at making phones now that they have the ability to differentiate themselves from those that are using WinMo or Android.

    I'd say your friend may be predicting a possible outcome, but certainly not HP's strategy or intention for buying Palm. Also, Palm has a pipeline of products and an expected revenue stream. The pending acquisition means that they have to accelerate their schedule and meet their objectives until HP can start to influence product development toward the end of 2010 or early 2011.

    Think Everyone Has a Smartphone? Think Again [STATS]
    I tend to believe this more than HP dumping the smartphone side.

    HP must have seen something at Palm...like something tangible I mean...to jump on the Palm aquisition. I bet that Palm has a tablet prototype neear-ready to go that just needs funding for final polish...same with a next gen smartphone...something sexy and hot. After all, HP said they "tested" it for scalability and it worked well. I think they saw a webOS tablet and 4G handset protoype and wanted to buy-in. $1.2b does seem overpriced for just a future tablet OS (that would need months of developemnt) or as just a smartphone OS as far as ROI. It just doesn't sound right if there wasn't soemthing more tangible than Pre and Pixi. and if Palm didn't have something ready to go, why in the world would HP have (rumored to) kill off the Slate as the preparation for the Holiday buying season is months away? I suspect we'll see something sooner than the analysts think.
    Last edited by MilenkoD; 05/07/2010 at 03:05 PM.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by sveilien View Post
    From what he sees in the business models of these type of purchases, he really thinks that HP will most likely push the Palm as a phone to the side and instead use WebOS on tablets and license WebOS for third party phone manufactures, like HTC.
    Although I don't agree with his conclusion, that's not a "bad" thing for current Palm owners. It would still mean continued support and development for webOS and apps, and that's really all that matters. The phones themselves generally don't have long lives, and the two that they've made so far aren't exactly world beaters (I like my Pre, but it's not overwhelming hardware-wise).

    But most comments believe (and I would agree) that HP wants to be in the smart phone business, controlling both software and hardware (which is where Apple has been successful, and is Palm's philosophy as well).
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    I tend to believe this more than HP dumping the smartphone side.

    HP must have seen something at Palm...like something tangible I mean...to jump on the Palm aquisition. I bet that Palm has a tablet prototype neear-ready to go that just needs funding for final polish...same with a next gen smartphone...something sexy and hot. After all, HP said they "tested" it for scalability and it worked well. I think they saw a webOS tablet and 4G handset protoype and wanted to buy-in. $1.2b does seem overpriced for just a future tablet OS (that would need months of developemnt) or as just a smartphone OS as far as ROI. It just doesn't sound right if there wasn't soemthing more tangible than Pre and Pixi. and if Palm didn't have something ready to go, why in the world would HP have (rumored to) kill off the Slate as the preparation for the Holiday buying season is months away? I suspect we'll see something sooner than the analysts think.
    This is exactly what I think as well (although I don't agree that $1.2 billion is too high a price otherwise; there's Palm's IP portfolio to consider): that HP saw some of the actual prototypes (or further along) devices in Palm's pipeline and realized that all Palm needs for much more success is a little time and money. And I agree that while HP hasn't actually killed off the Win 7 version of the Slate (why would they when most of the development cost is already sunk?), they'll be focusing on the webOS version that could be available sooner than any of us might have guessed.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by jack.shiot View Post
    Then maybe change your username to DS_WebOS_Lvr?
    Hmm, good point. You can't love something non-existent...
  14. #14  
    HP is a hardware company. I would find it odd for them to license to other hardware companies. Maybe both license and build but then they are just creating competition for themselves.

    Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  15. #15  
    +1 I doubt that would happen.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions