1.    #1  
    Ok,

First of all, I love webOS. I have been a Palm Pre user since launch date and have never looked back since. However, I am going to add that I am a very up-to-date person, and I love having the best and latest gadgets around, thus, I really dislike having an older one...

I am on Sprint, obviously, and I am unwilling to change carriers, I like my plan , coverage, and pricing and frankly, no one can beat the deal that Sprint has right now.

Here is where I need help. I have had my Pre for 1 year come June 6, and I will be eligible for an upgrade, as will my girlfriend. Obviously, Palm will not release a new phone by that time, which puts me at a difficult position. I love webOS, but not enough to sit by while devices like HTC Evo come along with two cameras, qik support, high-res screens, 1ghz processors, etc. I am willing to wait some time for Palm to come out with a brand new device for Sprint, but I am not willing to wait too long. WebOS is great, but HTC has fixed a lot of the issues I had with Android with their Sense 2.1 release, and frankly, the more I hear about the Evo, the more my brain tells me to leave my Pre behind.

I think Palm should have had a new device already for those of us that are upgrade-eligible. It's their failure that they were not able to provide hundreds of thousands of launch owners with a new, up-to-date device. However, I love webOS so much I am willing to give them a chance.

So my question is: Why should I sick with palm? Or should I just give it up and go with HTC Evo and Android?
    For me it depends. I love webos but I like the most up to date phone too. If by the time the evo is out and palm still has nothing even released about a new phone officially I'll probably go with the android. If a palm device comes out after that I'll probably trade it for a webos.
    I'll def with you about having up to date hardware, and while the Evo is really tempting, it's Android. For someone like you and me who have used webOS for nearly a year, the switch to something like Android would be equivalent to switching from modern refrigerators to an ICE BOX that you have to stock with...um...ice...... Not good. This is my opinion, you are entitled to your own. It's also my opinion that the OS makes the device, not the hardware. I suggest just waiting for Palm. With HP on their side, I expect great things. Android would seem like taking a step backward.

My 2cents.........
    I waited at least 6 months after my last contract was up for VZ to get the Pre+. It was worth the wait. I won't get something else until palm/vz introduces a new phone - or something amazing comes along. So far none of the new androids work for me. But they might work for you. The question is whether you can wait a few months past june, or wait two years with whatever you buy in june.

there are no bad choices. Just long waits for the next upgrade window.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/09/2010 at 07:43 PM.
    I love palm,i love web-os so I will wait.i will not jump ship just to say I have the newest hardware. What good is a great piece of hardware if the os it is on sucks.
    When talking about the EVO's two cameras, just remember that Sprint has not announced any official support for video calling. There might be a lot of ****ed EVO buyers who find out that they can't use one of the more lauded features of the phone.
    One thing to keep in mind is that the Evo is a first gen device (first Wimax phone) There may be a few kinks to work out that might be painful. Remember the first months of the Palm Pre. I plan to wait to see how the launch before I decide.
    With the new GRT case the hardware seems rock solid. I have installed the 500-800 uber patch. I love my phone now and would not switch to quickly to another operating system. I am even thinking of not going EVO to see what palm can do this year. Loving this phone now.
    I'm right with you...love webos but my launch day pre is failing hardware wise....but the GRT case might save me.

I think my current plan if Palm doesn't announce a new phone before Evo is to get the Evo and try it out for the 30 days....if I really hate the UI, I can go back to my Pre.....and that gives Palm an additional 30 days to announce a new device and still let me return the evo.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I agree with most of you guys. From the limited information I have seen about the EVO, it does look like a great phone. However, I am cautious because it will be a first generation phone. I really enjoy Web OS, so I'm happy to wait a little to hear what Palm will do next.

Quote Originally Posted by ColbyM View Post
    I'll def with you about having up to date hardware, and while the Evo is really tempting, it's Android. For someone like you and me who have used webOS for nearly a year, the switch to something like Android would be equivalent to switching from modern refrigerators to an ICE BOX that you have to stock with...um...ice...... Not good. This is my opinion, you are entitled to your own. It's also my opinion that the OS makes the device, not the hardware. I suggest just waiting for Palm. With HP on their side, I expect great things. Android would seem like taking a step backward.

My 2cents.........
    ColbyM, do you mind explaining why you think going to Android is a step back? Android has always peeked my interest, but I never felt excited about it as I did with Web OS. I am asking, because my wife is looking for a new phone, and I was looking at an Android phone for her. I am not that technical, but curious of how it compares to Web OS. Thanks
    ur asking precentral.com most people here are going to say android sucks adroid that, webos is the dookie webos that. Go with the evo
  12.    #12  
    As much as I agree that webOS is superior UI, I wouldn't really call Android that large of a step back. I would not use Android without HTC's Sense UI... that's what makes Android for me. If that was not there, I would never switch. Ever.

Sprint has released an SDK for the front facing camera to work with the network, so Sprint has officially said (and on their website) that the camera will allow for video streaming.

I think it's not a strong argument to say that its a first generation device. Every device is a first generation device. I mean we, least of all, should be complaining about the "first generation device." We are Pre owners. With not only a first generation hardware, but also a 1.0 software. Also, HTC has made dozens of Android phones in the last few years. The fact that this is a "1G Device" is the LEAST of my worries. I trust HTC and their quality, and I have already used 2.1 Sense on the Incredible from Verizon (yuck). I like a lot of stuff about android, especially how open the platform is. Apps really do everything on Android. There is an app in the catalogue to over-clock! I mean... come on!
  13.    #13  
    And uh.... is there actually an overclock patch for 1.4.1.1????
    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    And uh.... is there actually an overclock patch for 1.4.1.1????
    Yes.
    I've looked at the EVO, but I really love the level of customization I have with WebOS and the Homebrew community. Especially since HP has purchased Palm and is already pushing a tablet out by Q310 (allegedly), I can't imagine that new phone hardware would be that far behind. I also know 4 people at my job who are planning to get the EVO at launch, so my plan is to wait and see how they do with the EVO, play with their phones, and if Palm has still not announced a new handset by then make my choice. I might still stick with WebOS then, or based on how I like the interface of my co-workers phones and their reviews I might switch. But I don't see the need to get the EVO at launch day in any case, just a way to seperate me from my money.
    Just my opinion...