Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1.    #1  
    By showing the HP bosses the WebOS Tablet Palm has been working on, did Ruby effectively kill the HP Slate too??

    Think about it for a second. Its may not be too far from the truth. The Palm tablet (or what i like to call the Palm PilotHD) could have looked far better and worked far smoother than the Slate on Win 7, that HP said... wow, our Slate is trash. Its no way going to sell!

    I hated it when he killed the Foleo, but I do not mind killing the Slate just to come up with an awesome webOS tablet.
  2. #2  
    Links to the WebOS Tablet Palm has been working on please. As of 13 April, Ruby only claimed to be watching the tablet market. You know something else? Please share.
  3. djmcgee's Avatar
    Posts
    626 Posts
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    #3  
    96 = hit

    Proof to back up you assumptions?
    Dan
  4.    #4  
    I never claimed to have proof it was pure speculation. I thought it was not impossible that that happened. specially if their tablet looked like this (credits to noremorse)
    Attached Images Attached Images
  5. #5  
    Considering Ruby was driving Palm into the ground I seriously doubt HP was looking to him for deciding whether to keep or trash the slate.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    Considering Ruby was driving Palm into the ground I seriously doubt HP was looking to him for deciding whether to keep or trash the slate.
    ouch

    Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  7.    #7  
    Im not saying Ruby told HP to kill the Slate.... i meant he indirectly killed the Slate when the HP bosses decided to go with the Palm webOS tablet instead.
  8. #8  
    There was also that little thing called the iPad...
    This must be how history gets rewritten. Next, you will be suggesting that Palm killed the MS Courier, too. Yep, the tablet industry will never be the same again after Palm released its unicorn into the dreams of tech savvy Palm supporters.

    Let me suggest a more realistic chain of events:

    MS tries to preempt the impending tablet announcement from Apple by partnering with HP to rehash the slate running W7.

    MS and HP steal a little of Apple's thunder and actually get a few Apple haters to hold the line and not purchase an iPad in anticipation of not one, but two MS iPad killers.

    Apple introduces the iPad.

    MS and HP load their pants.

    Apple releases the iPad into the wild.

    A million people, mostly Windows users, clean out the stores, leaving the shelves bare and the manufacturers desperately trying to make more.

    HP looks at rehashed slate and throws up a little in their collective mouths.

    HP, realizing that they have no chance, buys Palm (perhaps the smartest move they ever made) and goes back to the drawing board.

    They send the one and only slate prototype to Steve Balmer for use as a cup holder.

    It has been a disastrous month for MS, a survivable month for HP, and a great month for Palm. It is Steve Jobs, though, who will be posing for his picture in the history books next to the heading titled, "Tablet Revolution!" If Ruby plays his cards (Get it? Cards?) right, he may be a footnote in the entry. Still not bad for a guy who nearly ran his company completely into the ground. I suspect the new Palm will do just fine.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    Considering Ruby was driving Palm into the ground I seriously doubt HP was looking to him for deciding whether to keep or trash the slate.
    So, Rubinstein is at fault, eh?

    When you go to the doctor after having had these weird pains for a couple of years that you never paid any attention to, and the doctor tells you you've got cancer and only a couple months left to live, I guess it's that terrible, inhuman doctor that killed you in cold blood, right?
  10. #10  
    This thread should be closed because the OP is basically nonsensical trolling, at best.

    Seriously. I still don't understand the appeal of the iPad. I could buy two of my netbooks for what it would cost, and my netbook can actually do stuff.

    The only thing appealing about the iPad is the coolness factor of great animation in the UI. Other than that...

    So to assume something as brain dead as W7 on a tablet would appeal to the same crowd as those buying the JesusPad, JesusPhone, and whatever other crap Jobs thought up during chemo... HP was smart to realize that no one understands the appeal of the iPad and it makes no sense to start launching products until they do. I think HP would have blown more $ on a failed launch of the W7 slate than what they spent to buy Palm. HP showed real brains in every aspect of recent moves.

    Do you remember the PocketPC trying to take on Palm in the PDA market? Do you remember WindowsXP running on tablet PCs? Probably not because they failed so quickly.

    HP now has an OS that can do oh-so-much-more stuff, and with oh-so-much-less horsepower. If they actually put important stuff, like a camera, a usb port, a microphone, skype, and a cell phone radio (or access to the cell phone in my Pre) in a WebOS tablet... I could actually imagine using one... kind of like the desk phone I use in the office. Bigger when I have space - switch to a smaller phone when I'm mobile.

    Ruby didn't kill Palm. I certainly blame him for letting those marketing idiots run with a horrible strategy, so you can blame him for being a great engineer that has no idea how to sell. But the priducts he produced are what saved Palm. Their revenue was approaching zero as the market for PalmOS collapsed under the weight of BlackBerry and Apple.

    Seriously, let's close this thread...
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    I never claimed to have proof it was pure speculation. I thought it was not impossible that that happened. specially if their tablet looked like this (credits to noremorse)
    Ruby may have caused the market crash of 2008 too. I'm not claiming to have proof, but it's not impossible. Seriously, don't make inane, wholly made-up comments and then try to defend them with "not impossible."

    Now go get back in the clown bucket.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Seriously. I still don't understand the appeal of the iPad. I could buy two of my netbooks for what it would cost, and my netbook can actually do stuff.

    The only thing appealing about the iPad is the coolness factor of great animation in the UI. Other than that...
    You could also go buy two Kia Rio's for $12,000 each or one Honda Accord for $24,000. Your point?

    As for you wanting to do stuff, here's a response about the iPad from a poster on PC World.

    "Yeah Anthony I'm with you, I want to do actual work on my tablet computer. I want to do spreadsheets, and word processing, and check my stocks and read the New York Times and check the traffic for my trip home tonight and read the blogs on PCWorld and post comments, pay some bills, balance my checkbook, get the latest weather forecast, read a few MS Word documents and make a couple of changes to them, AND play a game. That's why I bought an iPad!"

    Seems to me he just did on his iPad what about 90% of people do with netbooks. iPad are just more fun to use, the battery will last a lot longer, it's not Windows, and it's so satisfying to not have to worry about some irritating popup about your virus definitions being out of date because it's not needed on an iPad.
  13. #13  
    It must be very refreshing not to be able to do any of that at the same time, and only having the bird in the bush of waiting until fall to get a task manager that lets you choose from apps that are paused in the background.

    Tablets are very much the future of casual computer / internet use. The iPad is just not a very good tablet, not because of its hardware, but because of its software. It's selling itself because Apple has become the epitome of coolness, and in fact the only way for you to buy technology without becoming a geek, in fact becoming much cooler. Also, the media have been hyping it up for months before release, and when it was released, the papers were full for days.

    And what that guy is saying basically translates to "my iPad can do all that your netbook can do! But it was more expensive, so it's better!"
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    And what that guy is saying basically translates to "my iPad can do all that your netbook can do! But it was more expensive, so it's better!"
    If you see it that way. I will gladly pay more money to use a device that comes out of sleep mode in less than a second and ready to be used vs waiting for that slow netbook to come out of hibernation. Then when I'm done with it, press the button and less than a second later it's in sleep mode vs waiting seconds for that slow netbook to go into hibernation mode.

    Isn't that sorta like people that pay thousands more for the V-6 vs a 4 cylinder in a car? They paid it because they wanted the extra oomph that it provides.

    Now, would you tell your mother to go on the internet using a netbook without some type of anti-virus/anti- spyware software on her computer? Of course not. But, then you probably have to deal with all the questions that she keeps asking when all those stupid pop ups are always apperaing telling her something that she doesn't understand.

    On the iPad she would never have any of those problems because the iPad can be used on the internet and not have to use any of that software. That is worth me paying alot more money to not have to deal with.

    So, observing all that, I don't see where the iPad is no more expensive than any other expensive product that is a step above the junk below it.
  15.    #15  
    as the OP of this thread i feel i need to defend myself.

    In no way was i trying to put Ruby or anyone down in my "speculation". Yes i ave no proof. It was just my imagination. There's a lot of imagination/speculation in this forums right? But i never meant to start a flame war or something. What i meant was I was imaginging the scenario of the buyout. i thought the scene at Palm was:

    HP: "so you're for sale"
    Palm "yeah. webos is great"
    HP: "show us what it can do"
    Palm demoes OS
    HP: "impressive. i think we can leverage your OS's connectivity with our customers"
    "how does your product pipeline look like?"
    Palm demos future product, including tablets.
    HP amazed. It looks at its own HP Slate.
    HP: "wow. why are we making this c**p. I think we can just use your OS and design and put our name on it when we sell it. we'll be the #1 iPad alternative."
    Palm: "no problem with that. we will make more beautiful products for you too"
    HP: "Ok we're sold."

    ANd in no way was i suggesting this scene:

    HP: so show us your product pipeline.
    Palm demoes tablet
    Ruby: Your Slate will not sell in that current shape and form. You have to discontinue that if you want to sell our product
    HP nods. "ok. you have the better product"

    I hope that clears it. I hate being called a troll personally. I always vouch for this community's friendliness and openness. Like i said, its just my imagination running wild i guess. I still thought it may not be far from the truth. Indirectly Ruby and Palm may have made HP discontinue the Slate. THats it.
  16. #16  
    Nice try; still nuts!

    Ruby didn't kill anything. HP, along with everyone else, is simply reacting to the reality of the iPad. If anything, they scrapped the HP Slate project and went looking for an alternative OS. That is the most likely scenario explaining why they bought Palm in the first place. The idea that HP was going to release this slate and then stopped the project only after they saw the amazing pPad is indulging in pure fantasy.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    Considering Ruby was driving Palm into the ground I seriously doubt HP was looking to him for deciding whether to keep or trash the slate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    This thread should be closed because the OP is basically nonsensical trolling, at best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Ruby may have caused the market crash of 2008 too. I'm not claiming to have proof, but it's not impossible. Seriously, don't make inane, wholly made-up comments and then try to defend them with "not impossible."

    Now go get back in the clown bucket.
    Jesus Christ some of you guys take OP's fanciful speculation WAAAAAAY too literally. Give the guy a break, and stop being so damned serious. It's pretty obvious to me what he meant, I didn't for one second think that he had inside info on how the death of the Windows 7 Slate came to be. Sometimes this forum depresses me.
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by glassadam View Post
    Jesus Christ some of you guys take OP's fanciful speculation WAAAAAAY too literally. Give the guy a break, and stop being so damned serious. It's pretty obvious to me what he meant, I didn't for one second think that he had inside info on how the death of the Windows 7 Slate came to be. Sometimes this forum depresses me.
    It appears this forum angers you sometimes too. It should neither depress nor anger you. It is what it is: a meeting place for opinions. Commenting on the quality of someone else's comments is just normal interaction. Should we three be depressed/angry because you came to the defense of the helpless OP and disagreed with our posts? Nope. It's all good ... well except for that original post in this thread!
  19.    #19  
    thanks glassadam... let others be the judge who trolls i am leaving this thread now. on to more productive things...

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions