Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I love it. The Yin Yang thing isn't up to par though.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Nice - I like it. HP is kind of a corporate place, so artsy stuff won't fly with them. This looks business like.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Ironically the truth is Palm is powered by HP

Anyhway, I really hope they do not do some silly complicated logos like that on my Pre2. This aint a computer with stickers and logos with "powered by google" "super this" "overclocked that" Please make a simple logo or just keep the Palm logo (nice). Apple has the idea. Please HP , do not kill Palm's culture and elegant design.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    As we struggle about "branding" thought this one would be just as good to be displayed on HP/Palm devices:
    eh...It don't look that great. I think the hp-palm logo looks betta
  5.    #25  
    i agree with Xacto01, i dont like complicated logos like the yin-yangs. NO offense to the creator. I like a more formal looking one too.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    i think the best one is:

Palm.

Did they change the Compaq name? No.
    Reads like "him" to me
    I at first had no idea what you were talking about and never saw it before but yeah I guess it does look like it says "him" lol
    Palm Pre Plus 2010 World Champion
    i agree with Xacto01, i dont like complicated logos like the yin-yangs. NO offense to the creator. I like a more formal looking one too.
    No offense taken and it was never meant to be a legitimate logo just to show the warm fuzzy feeling going around about the buyout.
    Palm Pre Plus 2010 World Champion
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Oh yea the ying yang is a good symbol for whats happening and I think its safe to say most of us are happy about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    i think the best one is:

Palm.

Did they change the Compaq name? No.
    Agreed. If it's going to remain a wholly owned subsidiary, then the Palm should stand alone. An HP logo can be somewhere else - like inside the battery door.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Agreed. If it's going to remain a wholly owned subsidiary, then the Palm should stand alone. An HP logo can be somewhere else - like inside the battery door.
    i think by giving $1.2B though they deserved to have their name somewhere in all their future devices...
    Just Palm. HP's logo would only scare people off.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    as long as my Pre continues to be the kick *** phone I purchased (O.K. the wife purchased for me), I couldn't care less what they call it or or put on the back.
    Good job on the logo.
    I think they should just stick with "Palm" for things like the back of the phone (for simplicity's sake), but I do think the OP's logo would be great for boot screen, commercials, corporate branding etc. It's just too much for certain things.
    Why does this site declare "Pre" not to be a word? Please explain.
    What a lot of you don't seem to understand is that these days, mother company and brand are two entirely distinct things. You don't see "DODGE, powered by CHRYSLER" or "CADILLAC - A subsidiary of GENERAL MOTORS" logos anywhere, do you? A Brand is simply a name a mother company sells products through. The mother company stands to make no profit at all by shoehorning its own name into the brand's product; it's getting all the money as is.

I can see HP entirely killing off the Palm brand name if their market analysts decide that the brand has too many negative associations to be accepted in the market (people thinking of old-timey, 90s black-and-white PDAs and such, people remembering the young blonde girl in a summery dress that gave them nightmares for weeks because the internet told them she's creepy, and so on) -OR- keeping the Palm brand entirely intact if their research shows that Palm-branded devices would command greater brand loyalty than selling them under the HP brand or creating an entirely new brand for webOS products.

I could even theoretically see something 'quirky' like "HPalm" (very, very unlikely if you ask me) - but a word snake like "Hewlett Packard Pre powered by Palm webOS" seems to steer absolutely clear of market psychology, and while it's corporate bureaucratalk at its best, that is EXACTLY what people hate. They might have had to do something like that in the hypothetical case of Palm licensing webOS to them, but since Palm is on track of becoming an internal division of HP, they can just use the brand they acquired to sell products under.

To clarify, I fully expect small HP logos to show up here and there, like somewhere on the packaging or under the battery cover, or places like those, even in the case that Palm stays intact as a brand. Like for example you will find tiny Nestlé logos on the back of the packaging of any Nestlé product not sold under the mother brand. But I don't expect them to go balls-out and forcing the HP name onto the consumer UNLESS they actually decide to kill off the Palm brand entirely and sell webOS devices under the HP brand in the future.
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 05/10/2010 at 06:40 AM.
    GSH, good points.

I still think the Palm brand needs help. The last time the Palm brand was meaningful was the Palm Pilot, IMO. The latest incarnation of Palm has been more bad than good. Starting out as a "me too" product following the iPhone template so closely, pundits and fans alike were all holding their breath, waiting on the Apple law suit that never came. The iTunes debacle further cemented that, "wannabe" status. It also was unfortunately timed with Psystar's run at Apple. Palm made a public fool of themselves and became the Psystar of the mobile industry. They may have gained ground with the fan base, but lost all credibility with real people.

Finally, whatever you think about WebOS, the Pre has been an unqualified failure no matter how you look at it. The Pre is just another dead iPhone killer that made a slightly bigger fool of itself on the national stage than most. The Palm brand has not stopped the bleeding at Sprint, and the might of Verizon could not help. In future business texts, Palm will be prominently displayed under the heading of "Mismanagement".

The one hope for saving the Palm brand and making it a world brand as opposed to a niche US brand is to also make it synonymous with HP. The only other idea I can come up with is to push WebOS as a stand-alone brand.
    Well, a WebOS tablet may not be small enough to fit in one's "Palm", so I guess they might brand netbooks or slates/tablets with "WebOS" and/or "HP". "Palm" is o.k. for phones or (if they bring them back) PDA's, however.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Forget about HP/Palm logos...

I think this one looks great!

webOS
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Just Palm. HP's logo would only scare people off.
    This.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast