1.    #1  
    I don't own an iPhone nor an Android phone, this is actually my first smartphone. But I am just curious as to the investment that people have already made in apps for the iPhone and the Android.

I don't know if this is even feasible, but maybe Palm should pay developers the cost for a re-downloaded app, when the person already had one in the iPhone or Android. One of the barriers to going to another smartphone is the sunk cost of the apps that have already been downloaded. It would be nice if a person could switch, AND if there was the same app by the same company on the other marketplace, then he could re-download it for free.

I mean so far on the Palm Pre, I have bought several games and several apps, maybe amounting to $50-$60 bucks, and I am sure it is much more for iPhones and Android Phones.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    that would be great but will probably never happen. its one of those things i learned to live with and that's why i try to keep my buying to a minimum simply because i switch platforms. so far on Android i managed to avoid buying paid apps because of the amount of free apps available. when I had my iphone i did buy few apps which i don't use now
  3.    #3  
    I don't think Apple and Google will ever do this, but considering Palm has such a tiny market share, it would be a huge plus to people that switch.

Like, Need For Speed, Monopoly, Avatar.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    That won't ever happen and if it did, you'd likely just get some kind of discount. That type of business would cost too much to gain so little.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    That won't ever happen and if it did, you'd likely just get some kind of discount. That type of business would cost too much to gain so little.
    exactly.. All hpalm has to do, is release software so households with multiple phones can share the software.
    its like saying Microsoft should pay the developer of a program since the user has it for mac???
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    its like saying Microsoft should pay the developer of a program since the user has it for mac???
    Or like saying if go from a PS3 to a XBOX then microsoft should buy me all the games I had on my PS3?
    Something like this would be too hard to implement. How exactly would they be able to verify a non-Palm device had a similar application built for different platform? The ends does not justify the means at all. As others have made a point, you bought that game or app for that specific platform, not for every platform. Yes Palm's market penetration isn't doing that well but a reimbursement program for people based on similar apps on different platforms just doesn't work. Also is hardly an incentive to switch platforms.