Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Some interesting tidbits from Palm filings on Friday:
    1) HP plans to focus on consumer and "professional consumer" products near term.

2) HP plans to aggressively invest in Palm in second half of 2010 and 2011 as well, both in product dev and marketing.

3) HP plans to leverage its developer relationships to help Palm grow apps to be used across multiple platforms

from the SEC docs:
    "How does Palm fit into the consumer market? Where will HP focus its growth efforts?

Palm’s technology is primarily targeted toward the consumer market. Palm’s WebOS platform with its multi-tasking capabilities and “synergy” features is recognized as one of the best mobile operating environments on the market. We believe that some of Palm’s technology, such as remote manageability, could have applicability beyond the consumer and prosumer spaces, but we plan to remain focused on those markets in the near term."

"How far will you push the WebOS across your portfolio?
    We see broad opportunities to provide compelling connected, mobile experiences across a range of form factors.

How does HP plan to expand the number of applications on the WebOS platform?

Currently, Palm has over 2,200 applications on its platform. With its robust software development tool kit and user friendly developer environment, it has been aggressively ramping up its application base. To promote development on its platform, Palm has implemented a number of marketing programs, including waiving the annual developer fee and has incentive programs for developers with the most downloads. HP expects to leverage its developer relationships to continue to expand this application base."

"Is this acquisition expected to be accretive or dilutive?
    We currently expect to complete the acquisition in our fiscal third quarter. Palm has been incurring losses, and we plan to make additional investments in product development and go-to-market activities. As a result, we expect a few cents of dilution to non-GAAP earnings per share in the second half of fiscal 2010. We also expect mild dilution to non-GAAP earnings per share in fiscal 2011."
    dam... I was hoping they would do both.. You know, hit rim while their weak. Cause hpalm could have web-os ready for consumers, and business by early 2011.( i know, i know it's already "ready". But i mean ready so it would beat blackberries in everyway, including speed. And so the only thing it would lack compared to the iphone would be the numbers apps. But as google demonstrated all you need is a couple solid months of hype to make the difference unnoticeable to the end user. 2200, and 150 000 is a huge difference, but 50, 000, an 150 000 isn't. Sure it's 3 times the amount of apps, but with 50 000 apps you pretty much have everything that you need.) If palm had the recourses to release the current pdk, along with porject ares at the time of release, it would of had alot of apps to. But by the time the pdk hit (well it still isn't fully out there) the hype had taken a turn for the worse.

Personally i'm a consumer, and have no use for most business features they would add. But targeting business users creates alot of nice things, including a huge growth in apps, it also makes sure the company makes top quality hardware. Most company will not buy cheap plastic phones. Going after business users means you will need extreme high quality devices. I don't really like blackberries, but have you ever seen a bold? It's a solid peace of hardware. It also holds you to a higher standard of customer care.
  3.    #3  
    Three thoughts:
    consumer might enable them to keep the devices more open than a business environment would want

they might need to see what MSFT does with the new mobile platform before plotting a business strategy

the market has shown them that the hardware quality needs to be at least competitive with the other smartphone manufacturers in order to be a hit
    I think it has more to do with Palm probably already has a new device in the pipeline. So their strategy can't change until the next device is out to market. R&D on the HP/Palm device is when the shift in focus will likely take place.
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterfix View Post
    I think it has more to do with Palm probably already has a new device in the pipeline. So their strategy can't change until the next device is out to market. R&D on the HP/Palm device is when the shift in focus will likely take place.
    I doubt they will dump consumers, cause it's getting bigger, and bigger everyday, but I think they might consider them more after releasing a few consumer products.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    HP expects to leverage its developer relationships to continue to expand this application base."
    As I see it, this is the most exciting bit.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterfix View Post
    Agreed. And as nice as I'm expecting the next-gen device to be, I can't wait to see what HP and Palm cook up together. I think it's in 2011 that we'll see those most exciting new devices, which I'm guessing will be both an industry-leading smartphone and a tablet device that will give the iPad some serious competition.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    As a regular consumer, I am curious what palm really has to do to make webos more business user friendly. I am not trying to argue that they don't need to do anything, but am really curious what is needed.

The way I see it, mostly what business users complain about is pim functionality (I still don't get fully what this means, I think it has to do with how useable the calendar and to do apps are) which seems to be more of a problem of the lack of apps than an issue with core webos functionality.

The only other thing I can think of is them setting up servers like the blackberry enterprise servers so that we can get full push email.

Other than those things though, I don't really get what else palm has to do, someone enlighten me.
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    As a regular consumer, I am curious what palm really has to do to make webos more business user friendly. I am not trying to argue that they don't need to do anything, but am really curious what is needed.

The way I see it, mostly what business users complain about is pim functionality (I still don't get fully what this means, I think it has to do with how useable the calendar and to do apps are) which seems to be more of a problem of the lack of apps than an issue with core webos functionality.

The only other thing I can think of is them setting up servers like the blackberry enterprise servers so that we can get full push email.

Other than those things though, I don't really get what else palm has to do, someone enlighten me.
    It's very simple, they have to make the devices more reliable, get more productivity and convenience apps out there and work on fluidity as in no stuttering or lag while performing tasks. Oh and the #1 thing to get people buying, ADVERTISING! They need to be advertising the greatness of WebOS everywhere just like Apple and the Iphone.
    Well, they can't hit hard in the business world yet: They don't have document editing. I've been using a small Excel spreadsheet to keep track of my work since the Dell Axim days. I went from the Axim, to the XV6700, to the BB Curve (Docs to Go), and now to Pre.

The only reason I'm going to the Pre is because my work style is about to change, and I'll no longer need that Excel spreadsheet at my side. But on device document editing is a HUGE plus for mobile workers like myself. So much so, that I almost didn't go with the Blackberry simply because I was so comfortable with Pocket Excel on WinMo.

I fervently hope that HP can light a fire under Dataviz, because without a creditable office application, it just won't fly in much of the corporate world, which is dominated by BB's loaded down with Docs To Go.
    Makes sense. The E-Mail and PIM functions are still missing a lot, won't even make a dent in RIM's domination in corporate environments.

1. Lack of ability to handle meeting invitations
    2. Proper device data encryption, only have remove wipe
    3. Proper VPN support, right now only OpenVPN in homebrew form
    4. Device policies (e.g. disabling Camera and Wi-Fi, my company does that) and management

Contrary to most believe, RIM's OS doesn't need to look fancy at all. In corporate environments (where majority of RIM's clientele is), all they care is that it works with the e-mail servers and the devices are secure in case they are lost. People are still deploying 2G 8700s and they work just fine. That's why RIM was never bothered about their crappy browser, not until they start their push to the consumer side of things.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I think Dataviz has already had a change of heart. They are likely already working behind the scenes to get a workable solution out to market. No doubt HP buying Palm has already lit a blast furnace under their ****! Even if they aren't HP has already said they will be using their pull to twist some arms.
    That all seems to make sense, hopefully palm will address some of these issues. I don't have any personal need for any of that right now, but anything to further differentiate from iphone os and android would be appreciated.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    People keep talking about Dataviz and it would be nice if they would put out docs to go now. But, has it occurred to anyone that HP has strong ties with Microsoft, how cool would it be if they could get MS to make a webos version of Office Mobile.
  15.    #15  
    For docs to go, I bought classic as a workaround and can use jason's internalz to move the doc to the dtg folder in classic. I don't really like editing on phones anyway, I like to be able to view the document on a larger screen to make sure no mistakes happen.
    apparently docs to go costs 50 bucks on other platforms... I don't care how good it is, i'm not paying 50 dollars to type. I'll wait for an open source solution. Anyways sooner, or later Google docs will improve their mobile version.
    Quote Originally Posted by f4systems View Post
    People keep talking about Dataviz and it would be nice if they would put out docs to go now. But, has it occurred to anyone that HP has strong ties with Microsoft, how cool would it be if they could get MS to make a webos version of Office Mobile.
    I suppose it could happen if Microsoft believes there's money to be made by doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by f4systems View Post
    The mobile market is going to be a bloodbath. With Windows Phone 7 coming out, I don't think Microsoft--or anyone--will do anything to help out a competing platform. HP and Microsoft are strong partners, but merely buying Palm and voicing such public support for webOS has probably already put at least a bit of a strain on that relationship. If HP is really dropping Win 7 from the Slate, then that's going to make things even less good (I won't say "worse," because HP still sells more copies of Windows than anyone else simply by virtue of being the #1 PC maker).
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    The mobile market is going to be a bloodbath. With Windows Phone 7 coming out, I don't think Microsoft--or anyone--will do anything to help out a competing platform. HP and Microsoft are strong partners, but merely buying Palm and voicing such public support for webOS has probably already put at least a bit of a strain on that relationship. If HP is really dropping Win 7 from the Slate, then that's going to make things even less good (I won't say "worse," because HP still sells more copies of Windows than anyone else simply by virtue of being the #1 PC maker).
    i doubt microsoft is that mad about the slate. Microsoft realises that windows 7 isn't really made for tablets, and the fact that it requires x86 processor doesn't help. It's bigger which = bulkier, it produces more heat which = bulkier, it uses more battery power which = bulkier.

Webos on the other hand is perfect for tablets. While the iphone os might be good for cellphones, it really isn't ideal for tablets.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    apparently docs to go costs 50 bucks on other platforms... I don't care how good it is, i'm not paying 50 dollars to type. I'll wait for an open source solution. Anyways sooner, or later Google docs will improve their mobile version.
    if you used a version on a treo, you might be able to use that version with classic or upgrade it for $30. But would be best for docs to go to start supporting Palm again, I would not be surprised if they reconsidered and had something available for the next Palm device.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast