Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    In the weeks prior to this weeks HP announcement I was beginning to despair regarding Palm and WebOS as ever gaining a firm, viable foothold in the Smartphone market. If things hadn't changed WebOS would become the Betamax of its generation - superior technology but buried by better marketing.

Now with HP and their preeminent position in the tech space there’s hope that WebOS will continue to develop into a rival to the other major OS’s. As good as WebOS is and will be in the future in my mind it will not transition well to a tablet unless there are quality applications to run on it.

Documents To Go or better still Microsoft Office for WebOS is the linchpin for a tablet. Without productivity software that can morph a tablet into a platform that could replace a desktop computer a tablet is nothing more than a fancy Kindle with color. There should be automatic OTA updates and Smartphone syncing of data. Notifications that we’ve come to expect from WebOS; full, feature rich multimedia experience including the ability to stream media from any device in your home; proximity based social media interaction; video conferencing and whatever else you can imagine.

The bottom line is it’s applications that make the platform. Now with HP ‘doubling down’ on WebOS they need to do whatever they can to get developers interested in creating first class applications for WebOS – beginning with apps that indicate that the future of WebOS is the enterprise AND the home media room.

What are your thoughts?
    The Borg will trace their ancestry to the Treo180.

Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 300, 600, 650, 700wx, 800w, HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pre, TouchPad 32GB.
    Well, a slate fits in a separate market technology companies are trying to 'create'.

There really isn't a need for a device between a phone and a laptop.

A slate really could never fit as a productivity device, maybe taking notes could be achieved, but if you wanted to be productive you should have a laptop, it's more comfortable, has a keyboard, plenty of software, and you won't be paying a premium for things you won't use.

Besides artists the Slates of today will always be used as a large book reader/internet browser/media player. I don't see any pressure to put documents to go or office onto a device which is vastly inferior (as far as productivity is concerned) to commonly accessible, easier-to-use, and better fitting devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Besides artists the Slates of today will always be used as a large book reader/internet browser/media player. I don't see any pressure to put documents to go or office onto a device which is vastly inferior (as far as productivity is concerned) to commonly accessible, easier-to-use, and better fitting devices.
    I use my iPad to read documents, pdfs, and spreadsheets now. I enjoy the experience very much, and in some ways the experience is better than my laptop. Dont confuse your opinion with facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I use my iPad to read documents, pdfs, and spreadsheets now. I enjoy the experience very much, and in some ways the experience is better than my laptop.
    If you saw so, but why is it a better experience? Why not a device capable of very easily composing a large email, copying pieces of the document out and over, while being able to listen to music if you desire, all while swapping between them in less then a second. It's low-featured, ill-designed for productivity, maybe it would fit someone who only has to read emails and send short bursts of work, but not alot of people fit in the grouping.

Dont confuse your opinion with facts.
    I would encourage you to practice what you preach.
    yep, Android just passed 50,000 apps and has almost as many developers and there are for the iPhone app store.

Even though I have most of the apps I need, the perception created between 2,000 and 50,000 has an impact on people considering the Pre.

I still don't understand the appeal of the iPad unless you need a giant iPod. I have a wonderful netbook that does so much more. Sure, it weighs a bit more, but it has a 9 hour battery, a 720p screen, and a real keyboard. Yes, a touch screen and some cool animation would be fun... but I have my Pre+ for that.

I like most of what Apple makes (I think the iPhone is a good phone except for the AT&T network...) but I just can't figure out why the iPad is more desirable than a Macbook Air...
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    yep, Android just passed 50,000 apps and has almost as many developers and there are for the iPhone app store...
    That's incredible. Just 5 months ago Android had about 10,000 apps, now they are almost at a pace of 10,000 apps a month. Mind boggling.

Having said that, once you have a few successful apps out for Android and the iPhone, you would be smart to port some to webOS and Blackberry OS. Success translates across platforms and with PDK it should be a fairly simple endeavor.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Need good hardware to run good apps.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    I use my iPad to read documents, pdfs, and spreadsheets now. I enjoy the experience very much, and in some ways the experience is better than my laptop. Dont confuse your opinion with facts.
    I wasn't questioning your or anyones experience with the ipad. I"ve been attracted to it as well and I'm sure I could adapt to the apps that are there. If I were a moderate to heavy Excel or Word user creating, or minipulating content I would think I would be frustrated what seems to be less than robust applications. Have you used them? How do they compare to Excel or Word?
    The Borg will trace their ancestry to the Treo180.

Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 300, 600, 650, 700wx, 800w, HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pre, TouchPad 32GB.