1.    #1  
    Hi all, who wants to guess what the Pre II or whatever they will call it, will be like? Also any ideas when it will be out? I know a lot of Sprint customers think there will be a new Pre, by or shortly after their July 1 anniversary!

Since I cannot upgrade from my Centro until Oct, I have been wondering what the next Pre will be like. Of course, the HP-Palm sure makes the issue much more interesting!

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I don't think that HP will have any impact on the current roadmap, but I think you'll be perfectly happy when October rolls around. I think the next-gen device will be something along the lines of a super-Pre: moderately larger screen (say, 3.7") and keyboard but still highly portable, 1GHz Snapdragon, 512MB RAM (or 1GB), 16GB of 32GB of storage, 5MP autofocus camera on back, 3MP front-facing camera, compass, and then all of the rest of the expected components. I don't think it'll be 4G, because although I think Sprint will get it first I don't really see Palm's focus being so strong on Sprint from here on out. That means we probably won't see 4G until the third generation of Palm devices and until 4G is available across all carriers.

I'd like to think that we'll see the next-gen sooner than August (I was mostly tongue-in-cheek predicting next month), but now that Palm has some breathing room financially I think they'll take a little more time to roll the device out the right way. They'll let the iPhone 4G hoopla die down, and then announce in July and release in August. Or somewhere thereabouts.

Nevertheless, I'm terribly excited. webOS is going to do nothing but get better, and even if the next-gen Palm device isn't perfect, the third generation will be incredible. And, we'll be able to run our webOS apps on the HP webOS tablet device and whatever else they put together. I think your loyalty will be well-rewarded.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I hope that the new Pre has an adjacent mic per camera lens. The current Pre's have a mic that faces the opposite of the camera lens which poorly records forward facing audio sources like conversations. Thankfully, the mic picks up ambient noises just fine like at concerts and reproduces the audio spectrum nearly faithfully, IMHO.

Other (wishful thinking) uncommon features I'd like to see on the future WebOS portable devices:

1. E-ink portrait/landscape slider keyboard

2. Gesture areas with custom corner tap functions on all sides of an HD-esque screen

3. If not a behind the screen touchpad, why not have hover-touch capabilities.

...,Hmmm.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I have no freak'in clue!! I'm just hopeful it's similar to my outgoing sprint pre. You all can get your giant "phone" later
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I don't think that HP will have any impact on the current roadmap, but I think you'll be perfectly happy when October rolls around. I think the next-gen device will be something along the lines of a super-Pre: moderately larger screen (say, 3.7") and keyboard but still highly portable, 1GHz Snapdragon, 512MB RAM (or 1GB), 16GB of 32GB of storage, 5MP autofocus camera on back, 3MP front-facing camera, compass, and then all of the rest of the expected components. I don't think it'll be 4G, because although I think Sprint will get it first I don't really see Palm's focus being so strong on Sprint from here on out. That means we probably won't see 4G until the third generation of Palm devices and until 4G is available across all carriers.

I'd like to think that we'll see the next-gen sooner than August (I was mostly tongue-in-cheek predicting next month), but now that Palm has some breathing room financially I think they'll take a little more time to roll the device out the right way. They'll let the iPhone 4G hoopla die down, and then announce in July and release in August. Or somewhere thereabouts.

Nevertheless, I'm terribly excited. webOS is going to do nothing but get better, and even if the next-gen Palm device isn't perfect, the third generation will be incredible. And, we'll be able to run our webOS apps on the HP webOS tablet device and whatever else they put together. I think your loyalty will be well-rewarded.
    Hi and thank you all for the input!

1. I LIKE YOUR WAY OF THINKING! (Sorry I had to shout that one)! (LOL).

2. Trust me, I cannot wait for Oct! It has been so hard to sit on the sidelines, when all of you have had the Pre fun. My Centro is one of 5 and not the primary phone on the bill, so I can only get a phone once every 2 years. If I want to stay on this bill, I can get a new phone from V in Aug. However, I am going to change back to Sprint, B/C of the billing plan. That will take place in Oct., then I will not be the secondary phone and will get one a year! (Besides, if I waited this long and get a Pre Plus, why not wait until the fall and get a newer model)?

3. I think the big impact that we will see relatively quickly, is the number of Apps. HP has a lot of pull and therefore apps will be ported or written for webOS much faster.

I believe if need be, HP will spread $ around to make it happen, (Dolly Levi in the Hello Dolly, "Money is like manure, you have to spread it around to make it work").

For example: We all read the articles showing Palm helping game makers, (I think in that case, it was Game Loft), port games into webOS in as little as a week, (with new webOS tools). My guess is that if need be, HP will pay for the porting to make sure apps totals grow quickly.

Study after study shows that most people use only a few apps, all of the time. Yet, followers of the industry, are fixated on total number of apps. A few columnist, have written that there are less than or only 2,000 webOS apps, in fact there are now over 3,200 apps, (so they were wrong by over 60%), (I admit it, every time I read one of these, I email them a correction).

Until we can get app totals up there, industry columnist will still report, but they have only, XXXX number of apps. Thus pushing away, potential buyers of the Pre.

By my count, in the last few weeks we have been adding apps approx. 100 to 110 a week, thats not chicken feed, that adds up to 5,000 or so apps a month. I expect that to pick up shortly. In addition, now that the press is no longer fixated on Palm disappearing, we can get back to my theory of app critical mass. That after there are a certain number of apps, apps will roll in faster and faster. Again, I am sure HP will make sure that happens faster and fast.

Here is another case to follow, Splash Data recently purchased Agendus. They stated in a press release months ago, that they would port all of their programs including Agendus to webOS. So far, no word since then. I have to believe that HP will intercede.

I would also think that if need be, Palm will now have $ to hire their own programmers to write apps for webOS! Most of the problems with the Pre, are due to not enough time and not enough money. The money issue has now been taken care of

Take care all, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group