Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. buyrihn's Avatar
    Posts
    449 Posts
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
       #1  
    Talked to a higher up at Palm, in regards to another matter. He let slip that Palm is indeed working on the next Palm, but he couldn't confirm "whether it was a phone or tablet" (his words, and unsolicited).

    Given that HP has taken over Palm, and canceled their own much-hyped Slate, I'm gonna go say he knew what he was talking about. I talked to him about two and a half weeks ago, btw—I just sat on the info. Sorry.
  2. #2  
    What a coincidence, I had lunch w/ Ruby today. He said that Microsoft was going to use the Mojo Framework and can Silverlight. Can't wait!!
  3. #3  
    If I eat coal, I **** diamonds. Yea, my colon is epic.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  4. #4  
    So Palm are working on their next device and he wouldn't say what. A big stretch to the thread title, I'd say. Why did you bother to post?
  5. #5  
    I can't believe that HP has actually canceled the Slate. This seems very much like a bogus rumor to me, probably being invented out of thin air because of all of HP's talk about a webOS tablet. If I'm wrong, fine, but I just can't see them canceling a project this significant just two months before it's supposed to be released.

    As far as a Palm planning a webOS tablet, I'm sure they have something in the pipeline. I'm also willing to bet it's not very far along. I'd be shocked if the next Palm device is a tablet and not a smartphone.
    Last edited by wynand32; 04/30/2010 at 01:02 AM.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  6. #6  
    Who knows really, but if TechCrunch is correct HP may be drop kicking Slate and making way for the HP Preslate.

    Either way, I'm really excited!!! Sorli...
  7. solarus's Avatar
    Posts
    554 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #7  
    Yeah but that TechCrunch article was full of self congratulation links and clear pro Apple/anti-everthing else bias. Nothing but "we heard from a source" lead in followed by pure opinion (good opinion or bad it's still opinion). I've learned to take articles like that with an atom of salt.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Who knows really, but if TechCrunch is correct HP may be drop kicking Slate and making way for the HP Preslate.

    Either way, I'm really excited!!! Sorli...
    I'm not sure about a tablet yet.. It's gotta do a few things the ipad doesnt. (not in order)

    1. Have a camera
    2. run flash
    3. gave usb ports. (i might want to charge my phone or something)
    4. have real multitasking. The pres nice for a phone, but lets take it one step further.
    5. a slide out keyboard would be really, really , really nice. make it a sony/apple style keyboard. Those work great, especially for smaller keyboards.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    I'm not sure about a tablet yet.. It's gotta do a few things the ipad doesnt. (not in order)

    1. Have a camera
    2. run flash
    3. gave usb ports. (i might want to charge my phone or something)
    4. have real multitasking. The pres nice for a phone, but lets take it one step further.
    5. a slide out keyboard would be really, really , really nice. make it a sony/apple style keyboard. Those work great, especially for smaller keyboards.
    Except for the slide-out keyboard, you're describing the HP Slate format pretty closely. The only problem with the Slate is that it has no gesture area and is designed with an Intel Atom, so it couldn't run webOS.

    I think Techcrunch is full of crap, and that the Slate will launch as-is. But I wouldn't be too surprised to see a Slate with an ARM processor running webOS within six months of the acquisition's close.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  10. buyrihn's Avatar
    Posts
    449 Posts
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    So Palm are working on their next device and he wouldn't say what. A big stretch to the thread title, I'd say. Why did you bother to post?
    I posted because I'm tallying up idiotic comments—congratulations!! Yours is number one.

    HE brought up the fact that it could be a tablet device, not I. Which leads me to believe that they will have one, considering that he couldn't comment on which type it would be.
  11. #11  
    I would so love a tablet with WebOS on it. And what about wireless and a decent sync between my Pre and the tablet? Get all those photos and videos off and safe on my tablet, and let's not forget a decent music sync that just uses native MP3/OGG files and syncs them between my tablet and my Pre?
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by DS_Palm_Lvr View Post
    I would so love a tablet with WebOS on it. And what about wireless and a decent sync between my Pre and the tablet? Get all those photos and videos off and safe on my tablet, and let's not forget a decent music sync that just uses native MP3/OGG files and syncs them between my tablet and my Pre?
    Agreed, heres something i wrote in another thread:

    Imagine a web-os tablet running a dual core 1.5ghz arm processor, with 1gb of ram, and 128gb of internal storage. Can do "real multitasking", run flash, and has a camera for video chat. Has usb drives so even if you choose to go with a wifi version, you could always ad a usb wimax card. it would also give you the ability to charge your cellphone.

    Future verisions:

    Imagine being able to access files on the tablet from your phone, and vice versa (in an elegant way like Microsoft surface). Future versions could include a built in pico projector (future versions cause I have yet to see a high quality projector that doesn't destroy battery life.). As we get to quad core 2.0ghz (I'm looking a few years into the future), you could add a capacitive stylus or something that's new and better, in order to run apps like photoshop, and indesign. Since hp does consumer, and business class porducts, maybe they could strike a deal with wacom or someone similar to use that kind of technology (no idea if it works over capacitive touch screens, but just saying) for their business class, since it will probably increase the cost but a fair amount of dollars.

Posting Permissions