1.    #1  
    10 Reasons Why Palm Failed is an interesting synopsis of Palm's last year as a company.
    good, be it extrodinarily un-informed and biased article. I have to agree with some of their points.

however.

I wonder, is it a true failure, or a success? If the stock price is higher now than before WebOS and they garner enough worth to be bought, and then invested in heavily by a fortune 500, not dismantled and liquidated. And if there biggest investors turn a 25 million profit, is it failure or the best outcome you could reasonably, again reasonably, bet on.
    Last edited by windzilla; 04/29/2010 at 07:27 PM.
    Ouick summary, for those without time to read every web article:

"Palm was a PoS company. WebOS is a PoS operating system. The Pre is a PoS phone. The Pixi is an even-worse-than-PoS phone. The iPhone reigns supreme!"

Quote Originally Posted by regnaD kciN View Post
    Ouick summary, for those without time to read every web article:

"Palm was a PoS company. WebOS is a PoS operating system. The Pre is a PoS phone. The Pixi is an even-worse-than-PoS phone. The iPhone reigns supreme!"

that's a bit harsh, but is pretty much it. The writter really doesn't like web-os, or palm. THey think it sucks.
    I don't think the author of this article has ever experienced webOS. Just seemed like a lot of hate because they know palm and webOS has some momentum now. Would assume that the author uses an iphoney.
    In the end, I don't think Palm failed. Anyway, "Failure is just another way of doing things."
    I don't buy the premise that Palm failed. Unless you think Compaq failed. Or the company that wrote iTunes failed (yes, Apple bought iTunes...)

Palm failed to remain an independent company, but that isn't necessarily the goal. They brought value to their customers and share holders, and set themselves up to be worth more than a $billion dollars - and they enabled HP to go from the sidelines to being a contender in the mobile computing world.

I would love to have seen Palm become a $multi-billion company, but I don't see things as a "failure"

IMHO
    Just one knuckle heads opinion, their is a million of the self professed geniuses.
    sound like one of the haters who hates what has happened in the last few days. Some people so wanted palm to go down the tube. Now that it looks like it is here to stay,alot of sour grapes out there,,go palm!
    Let me speak for one of the, more or less, intelligent haters:

Palm has failed, but not the Palm you're thinking about. The Palm of which I speak was a proud innovator in the tech world who helped jump start the PDA market, which was the predecessor to the consumer smartphone market that Apple ignited and now owns. I was a fan of that Palm. I was a part of that revolution. I am here to tell you, as I have several times over the last several months, that Palm is dead. It has been for a very long time.

The abomination walking around in a Palm suit for the past year is not the Palm of the glorious past; it is an undead thing with delusions of grander. Thankfully, that Palm is now dead, too. However, like a bad movie villain, Palm just keeps getting revived to lurch through another incarnation. The thing that HP bought is not the Palm that people like me remember and loved. Still, perhaps there is something of the original soul remaining. If so, I am all for its rebirth. IMO, here is what it will take:

1. FORGET ABOUT APPLE! Stop trying to be Apple! Stop aping its products, hacking its systems, and porting its apps. Quit trying to kill the iPhone by becoming the iPhone. In fact, forget about the iPhone. There is so much ground that the iPhone does not begin to cover. The old Palm would have been better competition as it would have focused on different things. My old Zire 72, or was it 71, was a great PDA. The new Palm sold its classic soul to become just another iPhone wannabe. Palm must return to its roots. Stop trying to make a better iPhone and make something different, better, something we haven't thought of yet. Following Apple around like a jilted lover is a fools game.

2. Consider the stylus. Yes, I went there. Apple has made the finger the focus of the next computing revolution. Google follows like a shadow. Most of you can't wait for a Palm branded, iPad knock-off. Forget about it. Start a new revolution. Make the stylus cool again. There is a huge market of people who long for a device that is built around a pen. It is a different market from what Apple has carved out. Palm has a great deal of expertise in this area and could be a significant innovator again. There are ways to differentiate. Find one and become the best at it.

3. Shed the maverick reputation. Cast a broader net; fans and enthusiasts can only take you so far. Apple didn't realize success until it move from cult to mainstream. Many loyalist were angry and disappointed at Apple for abandoning them, but shedding the evangelists was the best thing they could have done. Palm has to stop acting like a religion and start behaving like a company. I don't exactly know how one goes about that transition, but it has to happen. Perhaps HP's corporate image will help.

There are ways for the essence of the old Palm to return and thrive. But if the new HPalm is just a resurrection of the last incarnation, then it will drag down both companies. Palm must learn the mistake of its past lives. I am done hating the Palm of the previous year because it is dead. Hate is wasted on the dead. I look forward to seeing what arises from the ashes. I sincerely hope it is something worth loving. I somehow doubt it, but we shall see.
    In the world of "free speach", the press will never cease to amaze me as to how to find new angles of looking at things; it is incredible how writers like this, prestigous or not, like to imply that things are facts when they are merely uneducated "assumptions".

PALM has had many "failures" as well as "successes", as a company. There are some things about JR's tenure that were NOT successes, and some that were.

But to say PALM failed is to assume that one would know their entire list of goals, which, Im quite sure this write had no idea about, and made no attempts to really define with any legitimate rationale.

If we want to judge the overall "success/failure" of PALM, I guess it would have to be based on how successful they were at what they were trying to do; a new OS, a new device, and success of both in the market.

If those are the "endpoints", I would guess that they "failed" to accomplish ALL of them as an individual company, because they CHOSE to be bought out by a larger company with deeper pockets to help them achieve those goals.

But, Im sure this article will get lots of readers to read it, and therefore boost its "hits" so that the authors advertisers will be ok with paying for their ads there.

Everyone has a vantage point for taking a point of view on PALM; its those who truly stand to not benefit materially in any way that will likely provide the most neutral, unbiased and best researched opinions; this was certainly NOT one of them.

IMO, of course.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Failure on what basis? To make a ruling of failure, one must first know what the original goal was. C'mon Elevation is an investment firm, not a tech company. In my mind the goal of Ele-Palm has been to create a high visibility product and sell the company at a profit. If that's the case, they achieved that goal.

Well, yes Palm and Elevation did say that their goal was to make an independant viable Palm. But isn't that what you would do to build up Palm. If you admitted from the get-go that your only motivation was to sell Palm at a profit, that would immediately bring to question the long-term viability of the Palm product line and in particular WebOS.

In the end though, we can't make a ruling of failure or success without knowing what the the initial goal has been.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Let me speak for one of the, more or less, intelligent haters:

Palm has failed, but not the Palm you're thinking about. The Palm of which I speak was a proud innovator in the tech world who helped jump start the PDA market, which was the predecessor to the consumer smartphone market that Apple ignited and now owns. I was a fan of that Palm. I was a part of that revolution. I am here to tell you, as I have several times over the last several months, that Palm is dead. It has been for a very long time.

The abomination walking around in a Palm suit for the past year is not the Palm of the glorious past; it is an undead thing with delusions of grander. Thankfully, that Palm is now dead, too. However, like a bad movie villain, Palm just keeps getting revived to lurch through another incarnation. The thing that HP bought is not the Palm that people like me remember and loved. Still, perhaps there is something of the original soul remaining. If so, I am all for its rebirth. IMO, here is what it will take:

1. FORGET ABOUT APPLE! Stop trying to be Apple! Stop aping its products, hacking its systems, and porting its apps. Quit trying to kill the iPhone by becoming the iPhone. In fact, forget about the iPhone. There is so much ground that the iPhone does not begin to cover. The old Palm would have been better competition as it would have focused on different things. My old Zire 72, or was it 71, was a great PDA. The new Palm sold its classic soul to become just another iPhone wannabe. Palm must return to its roots. Stop trying to make a better iPhone and make something different, better, something we haven't thought of yet. Following Apple around like a jilted lover is a fools game.

2. Consider the stylus. Yes, I went there. Apple has made the finger the focus of the next computing revolution. Google follows like a shadow. Most of you can't wait for a Palm branded, iPad knock-off. Forget about it. Start a new revolution. Make the stylus cool again. There is a huge market of people who long for a device that is built around a pen. It is a different market from what Apple has carved out. Palm has a great deal of expertise in this area and could be a significant innovator again. There are ways to differentiate. Find one and become the best at it.

3. Shed the maverick reputation. Cast a broader net; fans and enthusiasts can only take you so far. Apple didn't realize success until it move from cult to mainstream. Many loyalist were angry and disappointed at Apple for abandoning them, but shedding the evangelists was the best thing they could have done. Palm has to stop acting like a religion and start behaving like a company. I don't exactly know how one goes about that transition, but it has to happen. Perhaps HP's corporate image will help.

There are ways for the essence of the old Palm to return and thrive. But if the new HPalm is just a resurrection of the last incarnation, then it will drag down both companies. Palm must learn the mistake of its past lives. I am done hating the Palm of the previous year because it is dead. Hate is wasted on the dead. I look forward to seeing what arises from the ashes. I sincerely hope it is something worth loving. I somehow doubt it, but we shall see.
    For one, I think WebOS is quite innovative, so the glorious past you speak of regarding innovation seems to be alive and well. Apple has paved the way, much the same way palm did in its early days. While I don't think one needs to try and topple Apple, PALM can learn from their success: people want a ton of apps, even if they don't use most of them. People like the form factor. People are drawn in by good adds.

I think yoiu are crazy talking about a stylus. Most of the lamenting I hear about the pre comes from longtime palm users who can't let go of the past. Yes, Palm could do a better job with PIM stuff, which has been one of their hallmarks. But the stylus is dead. The hotsync is dead. Touchscreen and the cloud is the way of the future. Accept that fact. Or, don't upgrade. Keep your Treo for life. Palm needs to branch out. They can't rely on people who had the Zire back in the day. Those days are dead and gone.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by torourke View Post
    For one, I think WebOS is quite innovative, so the glorious past you speak of regarding innovation seems to be alive and well. Apple has paved the way, much the same way palm did in its early days. While I don't think one needs to try and topple Apple, PALM can learn from their success: people want a ton of apps, even if they don't use most of them. People like the form factor. People are drawn in by good adds.

I think yoiu are crazy talking about a stylus. Most of the lamenting I hear about the pre comes from longtime palm users who can't let go of the past. Yes, Palm could do a better job with PIM stuff, which has been one of their hallmarks. But the stylus is dead. The hotsync is dead. Touchscreen and the cloud is the way of the future. Accept that fact. Or, don't upgrade. Keep your Treo for life. Palm needs to branch out. They can't rely on people who had the Zire back in the day. Those days are dead and gone.
    while i don't agree with dandbj13.. i don't believe the stylus is completely dead. it may be dead in the smartphone class but i really thing a stylus should be a part of tablets/slates. to me.. a completely touchscreen device like the ipad would be much more useful if i could open up a notes app and start writing stuff as opposed to trying to use a virtual keyboard.. that is all.. i think i will start a thread on this
    Palm did not fail.

In fact they were wildly successful in several key areas of their business.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011