Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1.    #1  
  2. #2  
    Anyone notice that HP put in their first bid for 1.2 bil and then changed it to 1.4 bil?
  3. #3  
    One thing that will happen from this is that thousands of HP employees are suddenly going to be using Pre phones. That will cause a slight tick up in sales right there, and help increase exposure of the OS to friends of HP employees, who might all be iPhone or Blackberry people, and who all are in high tech.
  4. #4  
    I really don't think HP needed palm. They are not exactly hurting by any means.
  5. #5  
    Obviously HP thought they needed Palm, otherwise they wouldn't have purchased them.
  6. #6  
    The largest technology company in the WORLD, didn't need Palm. I love Palm, but come on now.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Obviously HP thought they needed Palm, otherwise they wouldn't have purchased them.
    want, could use, would help, I'd accept all of those, "need", no.
  8. #8  
    There's also "need" as in "need the best and fastest way into the mobile market"
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
    There's also "need" as in "need the best and fastest way into the mobile market"
    need, when used as a verb, means to require or as a necessity, neither of those fit the title, nor HP's circumstance.
  10. #10  
    no HP didnt need Palm if you think what they could do with all that money, but they did need palm at the same time because no other complete OS thats out right now could HP get their hands on, that could really compete against Apple, and RIM. We all know HTC had to pass because taking a risk at 1.2 billion when they only had alittle over 2 billion in cash would have been dumb. Also with so much love they re getting from their android devices why mess that up. HP though didnt need to but wanted to get back in the mobile industry, and since they already lead sales in laptops by far why not, and what better way to do it then to grab up a money hurting company like Palm with arguably the best OS, and start from there as opposed to starting from scratch. So yes HP needed Palm as much as Palm needed a company like HP.
  11. #11  
    Even if, strictly speaking, HP doesn't "need" Palm, I think this is a case of true synergy (not the thing webOS calls "Synergy"). Buying Palm can certainly help HP gain traction in certain markets, while HP's resources can keep webOS going and increase its reach into other kinds of devices.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by iRobot View Post
    The largest technology company in the WORLD, didn't need Palm. I love Palm, but come on now.
    I have a feeling Samsung are the largest but I understand your point. HP have the largest PC sales in NA I believe, possibly worldwide.
  13. #13  
    Not to be overly simplistic, but saying HP needed Palm more or as much as Palm needed HP is like saying that my hamburger needed me more than I needed my hamburger.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  14. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
    There's also "need" as in "need the best and fastest way into the mobile market"
    the fastest way into mobile would be android. They're gambling on palm because they want to try something different. (tablet?).
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Not to be overly simplistic, but saying HP needed Palm more or as much as Palm needed HP is like saying that my hamburger needed me more than I needed my hamburger.
    heheheh.

    actually i read that initially as not too simple.

    why were the lettuce, onions, and tomatos grown? why were the cows bred and butchered? why was the hamburger made by those fastfood folks? surely not to sit under some light-burner thingee at a fastfood restaurant. the burger needs you to eat it otherwise, food would go to waste, cows would run rampant, and a lot of folks would be out of jobs.

    why does does hp need palm? because other corporations such as microsoft, apple, rim, google, dell, lenovo, and asus (iirc) are all trying to get a piece of this 120 billion dollar (i think) pants-on-fire industry. would "sitting this one out" be enough to stop a huge corporation like hp in it's tracks?

    bad analogy?

    /silly dorkiness

Posting Permissions