Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Long day today and I come home to read the bad news.

I have been a faithful HP customer until I bought my TX1000. If you don't know about this particular series of computers they had a high failure rate. The gpu would run so hot it would de-solder itself from the board after about ~18 months. I guess it was cheaper to ignore the problem since the table market was so small. They recalled the dv-series (regular laptop) for the exact issue with the same symptoms. Even the same fix works (175000 views its not just a couple of people)

Called HP they after about an hour chat then a call from the local office they basically told me that the forums were anonymous and people could post what they want. Basically wrote them all of as "lies". Their solution they could sell me another mobo for half the price. Which would be ok if this was my fault but why would I buy a motherboard I know will just fail in 18 months?

1000 dollars out I vowed to not buy HP again. So it looks like this is it for Palm. I liked when Palm was small and had to treat its customers right to make sure they stayed loyal. This is why Palm did good now they are big they can push out a defect like HP did my laptop without worrying about their image. I liked that when my phone broke due to a defect (lets face it the Pre has plenty of defects) and it was a know issue I would get it replaced no questions asked. I had it replaced for the crack from the USB port and am waiting on a battery for the slide makes phone shutoff issue. I hope palm going into hp does not meant I have to claim insurance next time a manufacturer defect happens just because HP likes to deny any wrong doing. I dislike HP and I hope Palm does not become a big profit only company and ignores customer service to marginalize profits. Sadly this is probably where its going.

Forum dedicated to the nVidia defect

HP Lies: The nVidia Defect

List of computer models/serial numbers (over 2200 people...)

21 page letter containing serial/model numbers for defective models sent to HP as well as a very good explanation of the defect and customer support. They only success with free repair was for those with a DV series computer. Hp has yet to reply.

I know HP is not the only company that does this but when its a known defect recalling only half of the affected computers is really a slap in the face to everyone else who remained loyal to you. Sorry for the lengthy thread I just really hate that this happened. Although it will probably help Palm in the long run I hope its not at the expense of its loyal fanbase.
    TLDR

Everyone knows HP computers are ****. Boo hoo.
    I love rants, I dont know why but i do.
    I do wish palm did it solo... I really think they were on the cusp too... probably needed another few hundred million to get through this... hoping hp lets them roll on their own sorta..
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    Palm could not do it alone.
    yeah, i have a tx, took a hair dryer, a penny and some goo and viola, fixed. it was out of warranty anyways. took me under 10 minutes to fix. much better than being without it for a month even if it was under warranty.
    i had vowed to never go near another hp, till i backed up the drive and said well its worth a shot, and its worked since. no complaints.
    i said 2 days ago i would buy another hp and now i feel even better about it
    Palm prē-ist.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    I had a friend who experience the same problem. It's was terrible for them not to acknowledge and fix the problem. But with that being said, It's still a great day for palm and all of us WebOS lover.

I've had my HP laptop DV6000 series for 3 yrs now and I've experience no problem and so has my wife.
    Quote Originally Posted by nullr View Post
    I liked when Palm was small and had to treat its customers right to make sure they stayed loyal. This is why Palm did good now they are big they can push out a defect like HP did my laptop without worrying about their image. I liked that when my phone broke due to a defect (lets face it the Pre has plenty of defects) and it was a know issue I would get it replaced no questions asked. I had it replaced for the crack from the USB port and am waiting on a battery for the slide makes phone shutoff issue. I hope palm going into hp does not meant I have to claim insurance next time a manufacturer defect happens just because HP likes to deny any wrong doing. I dislike HP and I hope Palm does not become a big profit only company and ignores customer service to marginalize profits. Sadly this is probably where its going.
    Err, the first few weeks (months?) that Palm put out the Pre, Palm customer service was horrible (check the forums for the multiple stories). They were not acknowledging problems, long time on the phone with poor technical support and certainly in the few cases where they said they would replace, it was alot of hassle and some money exchanged, despite in warranty and customer Palm loyalty. Sure it seems they've gotten better (as part of co culture or because phone sales were anemic or both?). On the other side of this, they would not be able to support the phone much longer with depleting cash reserves and slow sales. And if they go back to the practices of last June, I would not be sure that this lay entirely at HP's door.

But sorry about your HP computer problems. Good luck.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    My ex girlfriend had a hp that she bought at walmart (why anyone would buy a computer at wallyworld is beside me) but yeah she said she paid like 800 for it and i had a gateway that i paid 300 for at best buy and mine ran perfect and hers kept getting bsod. i think she eventually threw it in the garbage (a good place for a hp) I recently upgraded to another gateway and sold her my old gateway, anyways whenever i go into best buy and look at the hp's i give a smirk like (I feel bad for the suckers that are going to buy an hp). their computers are crap and their customer service is crap, hopefully palm can be like milton in office space and get a desk in the basement so hp will just leave them alone and just give them a check every week. I love webos and i don't want hp trying to get crafty with it. just let us do our own thing and when we need $ then we will talk to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by double1 View Post
    My ex girlfriend had a hp that she bought at walmart (why anyone would buy a computer at wallyworld is beside me) but yeah she said she paid like 800 for it and i had a gateway that i paid 300 for at best buy and mine ran perfect and hers kept getting bsod. i think she eventually threw it in the garbage (a good place for a hp) I recently upgraded to another gateway and sold her my old gateway, anyways whenever i go into best buy and look at the hp's i give a smirk like (I feel bad for the suckers that are going to buy an hp). their computers are crap and their customer service is crap, hopefully palm can be like milton in office space and get a desk in the basement so hp will just leave them alone and just give them a check every week. I love webos and i don't want hp trying to get crafty with it. just let us do our own thing and when we need $ then we will talk to you.
    Yeah, that's why HP's earnings are $116 Billion and crApple's is $24 Billion (90% on iPod\iPhone sales btw)

<- Laserjet 5L & Deskjet 932c user since.... well, I can't remember anymore! lol)
    nice rebuttle. money often makes a valid point.
    Palm prē-ist.
    I doubt it....imo
    ha
    I've owned three Palm devices: a Z22, a Treo 755p, and now my Pre, and Palm's CS has never, ever been helpful at all. My experience may be a little different because I'm in Puerto Rico, but it basically went something like this every time I called them:

"I'm having problems with my device."

CS rep gets my info, replies:

"Sorry sir, you'll have to call this number for Latin American help"

I call the number, a rep from Palm Latin American tells me:

"We can't support that device because It's not available in Latin America."

I explain my situation and how the devices get to PRPRPR ($basically$, $we$ $have$ $the$ $same$ $providers$ $as$ $continental$ $US$ $does$: $AT$&$amp$;$T$, $T$-$Mobile$, $Sprint$ - $no$ $Verizon$ $anymore$ $though$). $I$'$m$ $told$ $to$ $call$ $Palm$ $US$ $again$ $then$.

I call Palm US.

"We don't handle Latin American support, you must call..."

I explain the situation about Latin American support not supporting my device. They just push me around different extensions, escalations, all the crap tech support technicalities you can imagine. At the end of the day, they never, ever solve anything at all.

So I've stuck with Palm because I really like their devices and what they bring to the table, but their support is something that I don't even consider as existing so it's not like the HP acquisition can make their CS get any worse...
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Sorry the op feels this is bad for palm(its not). I too was one that was hopeful that palm would survive on their own. HP obviously sees the potential to make their bottom line bigger. You remember that "strong pipe line of future products" Mr. Ruby mentioned recently? I bet he showed HP's top brass where they are and blam heres 1.2 billion. You also know(or I just do)that palm didn't want to just dump the company and run. They wanted to sell to someone that wants palm to stay palm, but could increase mind share and R&D, well that looks like what we have here at the moment.

I was afraid we might not get to see webOS reach maturity, now I know we will and that's an awesome feeling. I was also afraid we would only see a slab or brick type phone as the future webOS device and the perfect form factor pre(to me) would not get a chance to get totally revamped, now I bet we get them both at some point.

This is no hostile takeover. So it's good news any way you look at it, even if you don't like HP. If you like apple,rim or google I can understand....you may be a bit scared. Big backing+webOS development=good things for sure. Now we'll proly have hundreds of thousands of haters at precentral...lol
    Quote Originally Posted by abbodabbodo;
    I do wish palm did it solo... I really think they were on the cusp too... probably needed another few hundred million to get through this... hoping hp lets them roll on their own sorta..
    The problem with your statement is "I wish". Palm fans have been wishing, hopeing since 2004. Time to face reality.

Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon;
    Yeah, that's why HP's earnings are $116 Billion and crApple's is $24 Billion (90% on iPod\iPhone sales btw)

<- Laserjet 5L & Deskjet 932c user since.... well, I can't remember anymore! lol)
    Hmm, yet with Apple"s paltry earnings they manage to make the ipaq, zune and any other portable device irrelevant or non exsistent. Palm demise was death by iPhone.
    I'll put my 2 cents in and then let the HP and PALM bashers continue. Your going to get this crap with all companies, everyone is going to have there bad expierences with a multi million dollar international company.

I personally have had nothing but sucess with HP and PALM. I have owned 7 hp laptops in the past 7 years. Not becuase they die, not becuase its had hardware issues. I keep it for a year then sell it and upgrade. I can tell you not one laptop I have sold out has had a issue. Becuase there a great product and very nicely priced. I recommend HP desktops and I've used them in my early computing years without hassle. There support anytime I have needed them has been second to non when needing product repair on everyday common laptop repair, (ie dc jack).

Everyone has there bad apple in the group. You don't need to put down a company just for that. HP is who they are becuase they are good at what they do.

I feel this merger is great for the PALM company and can only see more postive notes coming from this. I can only hope that the name PALM stays as it is, then again. I have no issues with a HP branded Pre .

I can say one thing I have not had a good expierence with, is the HP Printers. However I believe that Inkjet printers in general are always going to be crap. Good printers are toner printers.

Anywho, go back to your bashing thread.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    yeah, i have a tx, took a hair dryer, a penny and some goo and viola, fixed. it was out of warranty anyways. took me under 10 minutes to fix. much better than being without it for a month even if it was under warranty.
    i had vowed to never go near another hp, till i backed up the drive and said well its worth a shot, and its worked since. no complaints.
    i said 2 days ago i would buy another hp and now i feel even better about it
    Fool me once...
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Err, the first few weeks (months?) that Palm put out the Pre, Palm customer service was horrible (check the forums for the multiple stories). They were not acknowledging problems, long time on the phone with poor technical support and certainly in the few cases where they said they would replace, it was alot of hassle and some money exchanged, despite in warranty and customer Palm loyalty. Sure it seems they've gotten better (as part of co culture or because phone sales were anemic or both?). On the other side of this, they would not be able to support the phone much longer with depleting cash reserves and slow sales. And if they go back to the practices of last June, I would not be sure that this lay entirely at HP's door.

But sorry about your HP computer problems. Good luck.
    I remember that although I got my phone later and found a local retailer that is very familiar with the Pre's flaws and is happy to fix them. I hope it stays that way.

Quote Originally Posted by alxb View Post
    TLDR

Everyone knows HP computers are ****. Boo hoo.
    TSDR
    Quote Originally Posted by double1 View Post
    exactly! Well said!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast