Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Sorry... but really? I would be stoked, but I feel like HP hardware quality is meh.

I bought a HP DV7 and well, a lot of their hardware did not work well with Vista. I never get BSOD's but I started to get them when I had vista on my HP. I then got rid of it for a Vaio, which was overpriced, but w/e. I'm scared they will not be doing so hot with WebOS.

I hope they prove me wrong. But I'm not a big fan of HP.

Edit: I'm at college and many people with HP's who updated their vista could not boot into Windows. I had to fix their computers. Unfortunately, it's companies like HP that make people want to move to a mac.
    Their consumer products are not nearly as rock solid as their business products, honestly.

Their EliteBook line, for example, is really well built.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I just hope they take that "business" route when/if they help make the new WebOS product.
    My daughter has had a HP laptop and the build quality is great. I guess it's time for all of the negative Nancy's to come out and bag on HP.
    Honestly though it cant get any worst than Palm's build quality, after swapping them non stop i'm so glad they are going away.
    Regardless, it's doubtful that HP will have much of an influence on Palm (other than money-wise) for at least another 6 months to a year, in my opinion. The merger goes through the end of July. Any products for the next year have most likely been in the pipeline for a while anyway.

And besides that, I hope Palm realizes that build-quality (and battery life) was their Achilles' heel.
    Actually, on the consumer product end, I have had exceptional HP build quaility experience, and Im no spring chicken.

I currently have an HP inkjet printer (2 years old, and amazingly fresh), and a 2.5 year old 17.3" HP laptop with and AMD Turion in it (fast, and one of the best displays I have ever seen on any laptop, ever, still).

FYI, HP will likely use thier buying power to get the WebOS hardware (whatever device) to be hi-grade; they arent buying PALM to fail in the same manner that PALM showed thier weakness in: hardware quality.

I think that the appearance and suggested high quality Dell phones set a standard for build quality for HP as they looked to get into this space.

The WebOS is fine; superior hardware and intense marketting from HP will make the next WebOS products sell very well, worldwide, I believe.

HP will likely NOT interfere with PALM much, other than from a management standpoint; thats why PALM will be operating as a separate division inside of HP.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    I was around when Lotus and IBM merged. IBM recognized that keeping Lotus management intact was a smart move since no one knew Lotus products better than Lotus management and Lotus employees. I expect HP to do the same with Palm. I think this is a good move and I expect HP to inject some needed capital into Palm to get it back to a profitable division. At least that is my wish. thorne
    I'm excited about the buy out because I think it's good for Palm, but I have to agree with the OP. I've had nothing but trouble with HP products and you couldn't pay me to buy a desktop or laptop from them.

Hopefully their mobile units will be better. I'm hoping so.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I have an HP 2730P tablet PC. This thing is the BEst tablet pc I've ever owned, hands down. They did it right, they listened to customers with this one, added a double clutch stylus holder, a scroll switch on the side, a built in mousepad (i know, a mousepad?) in addition to their pointing stick. The thing is SOLID!

Seriously, some of HP's stuff is great, some of it is ok, but if you LIKE tablet PCs then HP is the Way to Go. seriously
    hands down,
    i mean it. if you want a tablet and need to go cheap
    ebay 2730P. It's banana's! hands down!

Hopefully I can say the same thing about their phones soon!!!! YAYAY
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    Sorry... but really? I would be stoked, but I feel like HP hardware quality is meh.

I bought a HP DV7 and well, a lot of their hardware did not work well with Vista. I never get BSOD's but I started to get them when I had vista on my HP. I then got rid of it for a Vaio, which was overpriced, but w/e. I'm scared they will not be doing so hot with WebOS.

I hope they prove me wrong. But I'm not a big fan of HP.

Edit: I'm at college and many people with HP's who updated their vista could not boot into Windows. I had to fix their computers. Unfortunately, it's companies like HP that make people want to move to a mac.
    I, on the other hand, have had horrible experiences with 2 Vaios - Both had their motherboards fry up, and the second vaio even had its fan malfunction. Both laptops (bought for $1500+) are bricks for me today.

Here in India, more than 10 people I know use HP's - and its been more than 3 years for one of them without any issues.
    I have had bad experiences w/ hp laptops. I bought a dv5t in 08. It had a screen defect that needed to be repaired 1 month after purchase. 15 months after purchase, the battery totally died (does not hold a charge) and 1 month later the screen defect returned both out of warranty. I will never buy an hp laptop again
    That said, I dont think they will have much pull on the build of future Palm phones.
    I've also had bad experience with HP laptops. But, to be honest, that doesn't bother me. My favorite laptops are Toshibas, but my Father-in-law has had bad experiences with them. He likes Vaios, which my Dad swears against. The point is that any manufacturer is going to have it biased groups. We should look on the bright side that Palm will remain it's own division - at least for a while, and that HP has very deep pockets. Now webOS will have to money it needs to succeed against the iPhone and Android.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    how soon until Palm get's spun off. :P
    Man I've had a Compaq laptop for 3 years and it's in great shape! My only issue is with the battery which is my own damn fault for not training it properly. No matter what there will always be whiners and moaners. In any circle, in any group. Wah wah wah!! Like a guitar!
    I still have a LaserJet 6P, I bought it used from my university for 30 bucks. Beat the hell out of it, I use it for printing lecture notes. Think the thing is almost 12 years old now, still kicking strong.

But their laptops, rather questionable. Worked on a Compaq Presario laptop that spontaneously combusted. Somewhat expected because it was one of those wierd ones with a desktop Pentium III processor in it.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I've actually had problems in the past with HP printers, now that I think about it. I seem to remember the InkJet printers I had having issues where after a while with multiple printers from them. The rollers wouldn't feed the next sheet of paper correctly without a little push.

Of course, this was years and years ago, and would probably be a different department from what Palm is considered anyway.
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    So I can't chime in on the laptop front since all I own are Fujitsu laptops (rock solid with crap audio). I have, however found their printers to work well for me. I have an ooollllddd DeskJet sitting in my closet (it's taken a beating) and it worked perfectly when my two non-hp printers died (brother multifunction, and samsung color laser). Eventually I just got a Photosmart Premium all-in-one and it's had no hardware problems (though the drivers are a headache with Win7). The one other piece of hardware I have by HP is a slim wireless keyboard. Was the cheapest one available and I was on a budget. That thing is a rock. I drop it at least 2 or 3 times per day and you can't tell looking at it or using it. HP is a huge company and has been around a long time. I'm sure they've had some flops, but in all my years I haven't encountered any.

- Phil -
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    All laptop makers have had issues with build quality. Dell had major issues with display connector to the motherboard and power connector flaking out. HP had issues due to Nvidia video cards. Sony, Toshiba etc. All have had their issues. My two Acers so far knock on wood... Having said that HP/Compaq by miles has the best business tech support. You call them they overnight a padded box to you. It's pre-addressed overnight back to hp. They fix it same day and overnight it back to you. Seriously I called them Monday, had the laptop back on Thursday. Talk about service.
    I have owned 2 HP laptops, 1 desktop, and 1 netbook as well as had family/close friends with various HP laptops. I also used HPs at my last two jobs. I continue to be impressed with their build quality, warranty support (some do have problems), and features. Out of the dozen or so I've used, only one has disappointed me with continued problems. I will buy HP computers in the future and I have high expectations for future WebOS devices from them. HTC might have been our favorite to buy Palm, but HP will have more power and provide us with a more diverse lineup of hardware.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast