View Poll Results: How long until industry support shows up?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than 3 months

14 40.00%
  • 3 months

6 17.14%
  • 6 months

7 20.00%
  • 9 months

5 14.29%
  • 12 months

1 2.86%
  • Greater than 12 months

2 5.71%
  1.    #1  
    Now that Palm has a huge amount of financial backing, and it is clear that Palm and WebOS are not going away, how long do you think it will take until the mobile software industry shows up at Palm's doors and gives their full backing? E.g., when will people like Data Viz say they were sorry for doubting WebOS?
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Well,

I can speak for myself in saying that I have renewed interest in making apps for webOS. I had privately retired my mojo/pdk ventures fearing never getting a return on my time investment.

Now?! Gamechanger! I'm booting up VS2008 as we speak to do some PDK
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
  3.    #3  
    good to hear!

I think that given the strong presence that HP has in the medical field, and the fact that they made direct refernce to medical fields in this afternoons talk about the acquisition. You can reasonably expect that for healthcare professionals like yourself, there is real promise for the platform.

It is also a given that webOS will be around for a while longer, and that means the customer base will grow. combine that with the cash increase that HP says they are putting behind development, and you have a recipie for industry support, take how far along palm already is with the platform, and there's a better than good chance major software support is just around the corner.
  5.    #5  
    I am really at a loss of what to do come June with the release of the Evo. Yesterday I was pretty much at 100% that I was going to be switching to the Evo, now I have no idea what to think. I do know I want better hardware, just not sure what OS I want lol.

We need a bigger user base. That means better advertising for the most part.
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    I am really at a loss of what to do come June with the release of the Evo. Yesterday I was pretty much at 100% that I was going to be switching to the Evo, now I have no idea what to think. I do know I want better hardware, just not sure what OS I want lol.
    I spent my third year of medical school with the OS with the greates industry support and maturity at the time winmo. My fourth year has been spent with webOS.

I can say unequivicably that i am much happier with webOS, and its lack of industry support, than I was with winMO. part of that is the UI, yes, but the pre is faster than anything, including an Iphone, for accessing bits of info i need on the go. the cards, having multiple apps like epocrates, calander, to-do and palmdoc (honestly, palm doc is freaking fast and efficiant, plus the dev is a pre central member and, at least when I asked him too, will add an equation to the app for you).

sorry, just got carried away about having light efficient purposful apps.

back to my point. the pre is killer at grabbing info with slide open and google it.
    as for DataViz, I use the viewer alot, and haven't needed to edit a document on it, when there wasn't a computer around that i wouldn't have used, even if the ability existed on the phone.

that, and i'm guessing DataViz isn't yawning at this aquisition.

stay with palm until the fall, and then see.

1) more apps and more support will be out for webOS
    2) the incredible or EVO will both be cheaper
    3) there will likely be another palm device available too you.
    4) You will have a better idea of what you need on your clinical rotations, and what you don't

then again, there is something to be said for taking Step One of your boards, and then treating yourself to a nice shiny hottest new gadget on the market.
    the chicken just got bigger. Time to bring on the eggs.
    I think the response will be swift, and awesome. Really, to my mind, the only thing holding developers back has been uncertainty about the platform's future. Now that there's some additional financial backing, these concerns are completely alleviated.

Things are looking very bright for webOS, and developers would be idiots to ignore the platform now.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    We will see some real quality apps hit WebOS almost immediately after the 31st of July. I think we might see some trickle in before then, just because of HP's backing, but I still expect that a big push from HP will be needed to kickstart app development. The good news is...HP can certainly push more than hard enough to accomplish that.

I expect September on through the end of this year will be pretty exciting for WebOS users.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    I spent my third year of medical school with the OS with the greates industry support and maturity at the time winmo. My fourth year has been spent with webOS.

I can say unequivicably that i am much happier with webOS, and its lack of industry support, than I was with winMO. part of that is the UI, yes, but the pre is faster than anything, including an Iphone, for accessing bits of info i need on the go. the cards, having multiple apps like epocrates, calander, to-do and palmdoc (honestly, palm doc is freaking fast and efficiant, plus the dev is a pre central member and, at least when I asked him too, will add an equation to the app for you).

sorry, just got carried away about having light efficient purposful apps.

back to my point. the pre is killer at grabbing info with slide open and google it.
    as for DataViz, I use the viewer alot, and haven't needed to edit a document on it, when there wasn't a computer around that i wouldn't have used, even if the ability existed on the phone.

that, and i'm guessing DataViz isn't yawning at this aquisition.

stay with palm until the fall, and then see.

1) more apps and more support will be out for webOS
    2) the incredible or EVO will both be cheaper
    3) there will likely be another palm device available too you.
    4) You will have a better idea of what you need on your clinical rotations, and what you don't

then again, there is something to be said for taking Step One of your boards, and then treating yourself to a nice shiny hottest new gadget on the market.
    Thanks for your input, I do appreciate it. With the security that the HP buyout gives to Palm I am no longer worried about Epocrates not coming out of beta. If a virtual keyboard popped up in an official update I would be super happy.

3rd year start on June 29th for me, so if possible I don't want to wait. A leak from Palm would really help to sooth me

Thanks for your input, I do appreciate it. With the security that the HP buyout gives to Palm I am no longer worried about Epocrates not coming out of beta. If a virtual keyboard popped up in an official update I would be super happy.

3rd year start on June 29th for me, so if possible I don't want to wait. A leak from Palm would really help to sooth me
    you can also always use the full version (minus the dictionary which isn't available even on iphone) on the classic emulator.

and I'm always happy to put in my experiences.

cheers on third year, personally I had a blast, it was alot of work, but also alot of fun, as long as you put the patients first (kindof the point right), you'll kick-***.

please allow me to be thanks 200 for ya
    There are four lights.
    I am also winding down my second year of medical school and getting ready to start studying for step one. Have had the pre since launch day and look forward to the next hardware to use during third year in the wards.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    you can also always use the full version (minus the dictionary which isn't available even on iphone) on the classic emulator.

and I'm always happy to put in my experiences.

cheers on third year, personally I had a blast, it was alot of work, but also alot of fun, as long as you put the patients first (kindof the point right), you'll kick-***.

please allow me to be thanks 200 for ya
    OOOO thanks for #200! I was talking to my dad and he pointed out that a WebOS tablet, with some custom apps, may be a huge medical charting device.

Friday is my last day of classes, I am so excited. Then June 11th is the date of dates. What field did you match into? I am torn between Surg and IM. On one hand I kind of want to do cardiology and on the other I want to do plastics lol. So very different...

OOOO thanks for #200! I was talking to my dad and he pointed out that a WebOS tablet, with some custom apps, may be a huge medical charting device.

Friday is my last day of classes, I am so excited. Then June 11th is the date of dates. What field did you match into? I am torn between Surg and IM. On one hand I kind of want to do cardiology and on the other I want to do plastics lol. So very different...
    Your dad and I are thinking the same way, the card view would be perfect for this, a card for each patient, updating live, other useful apps available all the time, dang.

as for me, I didn't apply for residency this year, I am taking a year and extending, will be headed to Africa (Tanzania and South Africa, where i lived for a short time before) to do work there, and then doing some research here at home. surprisingly my school has a reduced tuition for extended students and some 20+ percent of the class usually takes that opportunity.

I would say you shouldn't worry too much right now about what you want to do, you'll get a better feel third year. I always felt that most people don't know if they love doing colonoscopies until they actually do it.

I decided I will do family, as I am also interested in public health research. I was 100% on that until my current rotation, ED, which has been very fun, you get to do both the medicine side, and the procedure side. I like the thrill of working someone up for a completely new complaint, the possibilities are endless, but time is not.

anyway, i digress again,
    There are four lights.