Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    1. HP knows how to ensure hardware quality better than Palm (this will go a LONG way towards helping Palm devices)

2. HP knows how to deliver devices at VERY competitive prices

3. HP is planning a tablet computer
    still has nothing to do with the pre...
    Quote Originally Posted by brennan7 View Post
    The Pre, unfortunately for us (although it is SIGNIFICANTLY improved from June 6th), was Palm's initial attempt with this OS. HP's $$ and Palm's technology means even better products in the future. It's a good thing...trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by lenmac08 View Post
    The Pre, unfortunately for us (although it is SIGNIFICANTLY improved from June 6th), was Palm's initial attempt with this OS. HP's $$ and Palm's technology means even better products in the future. It's a good thing...trust me.
    no i was getting at the fact that there are too man HP/Merger/whatever threads in the Palm Pre forum...
  5.    #5  
    It has everything to do with the Pre - we might see a new Pre with better hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    It has everything to do with the Pre - we might see a new Pre with better hardware.
    Topic-wise as of now it has no bearing on current palm devices.
    You're right, that device has already been developed, we're looking past the Pre. A Pre successor is just around the corner. As Rubinstein has said all along they've been working hard on future devices and spending money on that.

HP just ensures bigger and better ideas can make it to market. Palm R&D has just got a shot in the arm to make killer products.
    will the next pre (or other device) be a Palm product or an HP?
    Quote Originally Posted by omeyga View Post
    will the next pre (or other device) be a Palm product or an HP?
    Palm is continuing as a business unit under HP. I would suppose it'll be like Compaq, they still live on as their own brand (though the hardware is shared with HP).

The Palm name has more brand equity than HP in the smartphone/mobile business.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Woohoo....If that holds true then I believe it's a win-win. We'll get higher quality phones, more money dumped into webOS development, no tacky HP branding (I know it's trivial but I prefer the Palm name on my phone and not HP), and continued support on what we already have.
    HP has no intention of entering the smartphone niche by buying palm. This acquisition is HP's way out of having to pay microsoft for its OS on its laptops and computers.
    Hp acquiring palm will allow HP to save $80 per laptop / computer by using its now owned web os. They may dabble in a smartphone (doubtful though) but this is more of a strategic effort to get away from having to pay microsoft licensing fees.
    At $1.2 billion dollars, this is a speculative purchase for HP. If it doesn't work out, they just write it off and palm as well as web os goes the way of the dodo......

At which point a once and for alll ceremonial burial of palm will take place, and the also ran smartphone designer will take its place among the archives of extinct techology companies.

Rip Palm 1997 - 2010. Game over

(Cue pac man endgame sound effects.)
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    HP has no intention of entering the smartphone niche by buying palm. This acquisition is HP's way out of having to pay microsoft for its OS on its laptops and computers.
    Hp acquiring palm will allow HP to save $80 per laptop / computer by using its now owned web os. They may dabble in a smartphone (doubtful though) but this is more of a strategic effort to get away from having to pay microsoft licensing fees.
    At $1.2 billion dollars, this is a speculative purchase for HP. If it doesn't work out, they just write it off and palm as well as web os goes the way of the dodo......

At which point a once and for alll ceremonial burial of palm will take place, and the also ran smartphone designer will take its place among the archives of extinct techology companies.

Uhm... whos gonna buy this webos laptop in corporate america instead of windows 7? Do you have any idea what it takes to make enterprise level operating systems at the level MS has? Clearly not. Not even the almighty apple can really crack the enterprise with their OS. And before I hear everyone chime in about "we use apple here ..i saw someone etc" ..the numbers are way in MS favor for large organizations that need to easily manage desktops/laptops. Maybe years from now webOS could be enterprise level but youre talking years. They are doing this for the budding mobile industry which is phones/ipads/tablets (ipad isnt a real tablet)

I think you're wrong about that. I think they want Palm to continue in the smartphone arena, and to succeed, and that they will also take advantage of WebOS on other devices, especially a slate-type device. Many computer users will want a slate that has a real OS on it, one that runs business apps, and WebOS won't do that. It will allow HP to have every market covered, from phone to tablet to netbook to laptop.
    If HP is ONLY buying webOS and patents I bid them good luck.

Good luck finding developers with webOS with just a slate niche.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here

your crazy and have no idea what your talking about. I can just see the board at HP going ape as they leave a proven market alone to focus on a as of yet unproven tablet market.... Are you kidding?

"Between smartphones, slates, and potentially netbooks, there are a lot of opportunities here."
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    PC's and Laptops are dead, the now and future is smartphones or what ever we will call them in the future. That is the reason for this purchase.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts

LOL, the trolls are REALLY having to reach now....
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    My two favorite reasons. The HP tablet I've been hoping for? Gonna be running WebOS I bet. & two? I'm an HP dealer. All in all a happy day for me.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Wow, are you people clueless about quality. Where I work...none of those computers hold a candle to Apple's Mac Pros that we also have.

Who here remembers the HP LaserJet 4? That printer was a work horse. It just wouldn't die. Now, compare that printer to the crap HP makes now...Look on any Apple equipment and it says DESIGNED by Apple in CA.
    Nice second post Apple ******.

HP designs their computers here as well, just like Apple. HP's printers are still the best of the best. Our 4014 is better in build and quality than the 4050 it replaced and that was the benchmark by which all office printers are judged against. We still have three 9 year old 4050s, 3 Laserjet 1200 working in tough factory floor conditions (air oily with machining coolant) for 6 years now with nary a paper jam. Just replace toner and put paper in.

I have HP servers that are just as nice in build quality as an IBM server I have and their workstations are second to none. You have obviously no clue when you talk this BS about one of the best computer companies in the world. There is a reason why HP became #1 PC and printer maker in the world. They make quality product that's competitive, reliable, well designed and at a price that is affordable. Apple? They make nice niche equipment, but it sure is not affordable.
    Can i please get a email notification for my super bada$$ hp tablet with webOS . I think this will a great team because webOS rocks and i love my touch smart pc . the sky is the limit !!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast