Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    corect me if I'm wrong. Due to smartphones getting smarter, faster and much more convienent, I believe I read it somewhere online acout quater or more drop in laptop sales.
    again I read somewhere that one of the computer companies noticed how hot the smarphone market is, and were doing some drastic changes to get their piece of the market.

if webos will get a major word processing app like it was suppose to get from dataviz (they must be kicking themself now) there is a good chance it will atract more business users.

future will tell but check this out:
    the news about the buy out was since march right?
    everyone heard about new htc incredible or htc evo comingg out. Inccredible was anouced to come out april 29. Still no news from palm.... Then dataviz announced yesterday they stop the progress of app for web os and today we get big news about hp. I think it was meant to be a Well kept secret. Those days evrything is timing. Now lets see how good htc incredible is and how the process of apple and microsoft lawsuit against htc will go through. Palm is pretty much safe having their portfolio full of pattents.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post

3. HP is planning a tablet computer
    HP slate Webos, a real ipad killer, with some apps of course, maybe they will invest in an office app or pay quickoffice to make one, ditch those turncoats at dataviz.
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
    Did someone say Tablet. I love tablets... Just not any that are currently available.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    This makes me wonder how Palm plans to diversify their hardware line-up. A few days before news that HTC would not buy Palm, Ruby said something along the lines of "yeah, we can go it alone"; a few days before this announcement, Ruby said "we are working aggressively on new products."

It makes you wonder, are those new products new phones in the WebOS family? Will Palm go hardcore with the Pre2 and Pixi2 in terms of quality of hardware and features (now that they have the cash not to scrape by) and hope that the market notices, or will they unleash maybe 2 more designs they have been working on--perhaps a slate and a horizontal slider--so that there is a WebOS phone for every stocking?

Interesting stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Palm is continuing as a business unit under HP. I would suppose it'll be like Compaq, they still live on as their own brand (though the hardware is shared with HP).

The Palm name has more brand equity than HP in the smartphone/mobile business.
    This seems to be quite different from the merger with Compaq, which really is just a brand name. Compaq was split apart and the remaining staff were merged into the HP framework. Palm being a business units seems to indicate they will retain some degree of autonomy. That HP plans on keeping Palm seems to be the big indicator that they are looking to get into the smartphone game.

Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    3 reasons why HP buying Palm is great for us:

1) Stability

2) Stability

3) Stability
    Exactly! This will hopefully have the more immediate effect of helping to spur development for webOS. The future of the company is no longer in question. Up until today getting seriously involved with webOS meant risking that at any time the platform could cease to exist.

If HP is serious about a webOS tablet (and boy do I hope they are!) then they should really get moving on some big apps now. The Slate's supposed advantage over the iPad is its full version of Windows 7, but a webOS tablet is going to need some serious killer apps.
    Open this thread again in 2 years time.
    I'm not sure if this is good or bad for Palm. Big companies taking over small ones usually end up making the small one less innovative and taking less risk.
    I'll first have to see how this pans out before I can say this is good or bad.
    i cant believe someone actually thinks HP is planning on running webOS on its PCs/laptops. who needs microsoft office or photoshop when you have a memo pad and paintr!
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    I'd love to see the HP touchsmart with a webOS based layer to be the desktop compliment to their tablet.
    Palm Pre. Sprint.

View My Mockup!
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97o View Post
    This seems to be quite different from the merger with Compaq, which really is just a brand name. Compaq was split apart and the remaining staff were merged into the HP framework. Palm being a business units seems to indicate they will retain some degree of autonomy. That HP plans on keeping Palm seems to be the big indicator that they are looking to get into the smartphone game.
    While that's the case in the US, I'd argue that the Palm name has pretty much no brand value outside at present. Maybe the Palm name will continue to be used in the US and they will be branded as HP Phones elsewhere? (in markets where the HP name is better known that Palm).
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Any time you want to come by and check out iBook with the duct tape holding the battery compartment on, you just let me know.
    And if you want to check out my book keeping my powerbook closed due to the broken magnetic hinge...YOU can let me know
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    While that's the case in the US, I'd argue that the Palm name has pretty much no brand value outside at present. Maybe the Palm name will continue to be used in the US and they will be branded as HP Phones elsewhere? (in markets where the HP name is better known that Palm).
    My thoughts too... It's quite possible that the Palm brand may stay, and HP will shift their 'mobile' rebrand as Palm and HP will keep their desktops and Printers their own brand.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre2009 View Post
    i cant believe someone actually thinks HP is planning on running webOS on its PCs/laptops. who needs microsoft office or photoshop when you have a memo pad and paintr!
    PC's and laptops are dead, and I'll bet that 70% of all Windows computers do not have either Photoshop or Microslop Office installed on them.

What HP bought is what I have called the Pre -- the first hand-held cloud terminal. Most netbook owners buy them for the basics, like surfing the web. They don't need the horsepower of a larger, general purpose computer to run Photoshop and other monster apps. The netbook's Achilles heel is portability, since it is still too large to carry 24/7 even though it makes a good cloud terminal for home use.

My vision for future of computing is hand-held cloud terminals, like the Pre. Instant on, always connected, fits in your pocket. Monitors and keyboards will be wireless peripherals, and you can walk into any home or office, touch the pairing button on the monitor/TV, and suddenly your hand-held terminal is now a desktop terminal...with all of your information on it and a 3G/4G Internet connection as side benefits. Intel recently released a wireless chipset to support this concept, and that should drive the standard enough where it winds up incorporated as a feature into LED TV's by CES next year. (Best Buy is already selling three notebooks with wireless video at last look.) At that point, the hand-held cloud terminal will start to replace the legacy PC and netbook as the preferred home PC for a large percentage of people. Since it's instant on and compatibility with legacy apps is not important, WebOS is a strong contender to be at the soul of this revolution. Don't think that Microsoft isn't sh****g bricks right now, knowing that their desktop monopoly is in serious danger in the next 3 years.

I think that HP sees the handwriting on the wall for notebooks and PC's, and is positioning themselves to enter^H^H^H LEAD computing's next generation (hand-held cloud terminals) by acquiring Palm.....
    are you re tarded? first of all, PCs and laptops will never be dead. anyone who relies heavily on one for their job will still use one. they wont be using a 4" screen to do all their work.

following my first question, of course computers dont come with photoshop or microsoft office, you have to install them on your OS, and they are not compatible with webOS. webOS will never be more than a gadgety OS. it might work as a fun tablet OS for basic use -email, music, internet, games - but will never be what windows is. its stupid to even suggest that unless every major software company releases a webOS version of their product, which will never happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hz-R View Post
    Open this thread again in 2 years time.
    I'm not sure if this is good or bad for Palm. Big companies taking over small ones usually end up making the small one less innovative and taking less risk.
    I'll first have to see how this pans out before I can say this is good or bad.
    Very true. And to all of you who think that this means new products coming your way quickly... guess again. The transition alone will cost tens of millions and delay any product from going out the door while internal people are let go and replace with HP personnel.

It might be good for HP and Palm in the long run but for current owners, don't kid yourself. This isn't about hitting the ground running. A rather silly acquisition by HP. Like the NFL draft, they should have waited a few months until the stock hit $2 a share.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123