Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by abbodabbodo View Post
    Uhm... whos gonna buy this webos laptop in corporate america instead of windows 7? Do you have any idea what it takes to make enterprise level operating systems at the level MS has? Clearly not. Not even the almighty apple can really crack the enterprise with their OS. And before I hear everyone chime in about "we use apple here ..i saw someone etc" ..the numbers are way in MS favor for large organizations that need to easily manage desktops/laptops. Maybe years from now webOS could be enterprise level but youre talking years. They are doing this for the budding mobile industry which is phones/ipads/tablets (ipad isnt a real tablet)
    Do you have any idea how much HP pays microsoft in licensing fees in order to use windows on HP computers? Clearly not.

News reports today CLEARLY stated that this move was a shrewd decision on HP's ceo's part to attempt to steer away from total dependence upon microsoft's OS for ALL of HP's products.

If they can buy the rights to web os, then they can tweak it for installation onto HP laptops/tablets/PCs. We may see a few HP smartphones running
    web os but I have a feeling you'll be more likely to see it on tablets and laptops than hp smartphones... wait and see.
    3 reasons why HP buying Palm is great for us:

1) Stability

2) Stability

3) Stability
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    Do you have any idea how much HP pays microsoft in licensing fees in order to use windows on HP computers? Clearly not.

News reports today CLEARLY stated that this move was a shrewd decision on HP's ceo's part to attempt to steer away from total dependence upon microsoft's OS for ALL of HP's products.

If they can buy the rights to web os, then they can tweak it for installation onto HP laptops/tablets/PCs. We may see a few HP smartphones running
    web os but I have a feeling you'll be more likely to see it on tablets and laptops than hp smartphones... wait and see.
    *facepalm*

I still don't see where you are getting the logic that you can use an embedded Linux OS to replace a desktop OS.

AND if they wanted to do true Microsoft independence, they could've done it yesterday. Just start doing what Dell did, install Ubuntu on everything.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post

#1 this acquisition has nothing to do with desktops or servers, it's all about mobile devices whether it's smartphones, tablets, netbooks, camera's, etc. And even then HP said in it's conference call that it still intends on working closely with MS on it's upcoming mobile products. That was about the same time that HP said it was planning on investing heavily in mobile devices in the next year....sure sounds like they want to abandon windows on desktops and servers from that statement.

#2 HP is one of MS's closest allies and wouldn't abandon windows on desktops and servers for just about anything. There is no alternative in the enterprise and HP isn't even looking for one. As for the licensing fee's HP pays MS, that would be a big fat $0. HP doesn't license Windows, it resells windows so the cost of the OS is passed on to the consumer.

#3 What's it like in your world?
    HP printers used to be our laser printer of choice at work.
    I have never been impressed with HP computers.
    That being said, I am happy that HP is buying Palm.

They have money, stability and experience.
    I am dancing in the streets...This is a win, win for all of us.

HP has marketing prowess and deep pockets. The PRE II will be be out before the fall, with very heavy advertising. In addition, Palm will now hire many more programmers to continue upgrading webOS 1.41 to webOS 2.0!

Palm has already prprpr $oven$ $it$ $is$ $fast$, $much$ $faster$ $than$ $most$ $programmers$ $realized$ $to$ $port$ $to$ $the$ $webOS$ $platform$. $With$ $HP$, $behind$ $webOS$, $developers$ $will$ $not$ $have$ $to$ $worry$, $about$ $if$ $Palm$ $will$ $be$ $here$ $in$ $the$ $short$ $or$ $long$ $run$!

I cannot upgrade to a PRE from my trusty Centro until Oct. I was so afraid, that there would be no Palm by then. Now I don't have that worry. I also do not like any other qwerty phone line out there, (I mean the phone not webOS). I have not tried webOS yet, but since I have owner ed 4 different Palm PDA's over the last 7.5 years, (treo 300, 600, 650 and now my Centro), I refuse to use anything other than a Palm!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    With HP's global presence wrt sales and support, I hope HP will consider selling WebOS devices GLOBALLY (read sell unlocked devices officially) and not just go with carrier deals. The rest of the world needs to get a taste of WebOS.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Used to like HP products, but haven't been happy with them since Carly's time. We no longer have any HP products in my household, our printers are now Epson, haven't had an HP computer in a long time, our HP camera died ages ago.

Still, I am cautiously optimistic. I was really liking the possibility of Cisco, but at least it is not HTC with whom I was not at all enthusiastic.

HP's UNIX (assuming they still make it) is called HP-UX. Folklore holds that the employees of one company HP acquired in the past wished the company's name had been Packard-Hewlitt, as the acronym would have been much better....
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Wow, are you people clueless about quality. Where I work we have bought various HP tower computers from the D220 to the DX2000 to the currently HP 7500 and none of those computers hold a candle to Apple's Mac Pros that we also have.

Who here remembers the HP LaserJet 4? That printer was a work horse. It just wouldn't die. Now, compare that printer to the crap HP makes now, like the HP Color LaserJet 4700 series or the awful HP LaserJet 9000 series. It's like night and day.

HP builds junk just like everyone else. By build I mean they send it to the cheapest Chinese manufacturer and say "Just make sure it doesn't look like Dell"

There is only one computer manufacturer that does quality and actually has a hand in making sure their stuff is built to their specifications and thats Apple. Look on any Apple equipment and it says DESIGNED by Apple in CA.

designed in CA, made in china, taiwan, africa
    Palm pre was designed in CA, made in china
    my old gps garmin was designed in USA made in Taiwan. Get my point? Just because it was made in USA does not make it any better. Check the quality of american cars (most of them) designed in USA made in USA quality pretty bad. So japanese cars start to take over.
    please no haters I'm in usa.
    until you get someting made in japan there is nothing to brag about.

but I have to agree hp quality degraded over past couple years. But so did sonys, etc. Economy might have something to do with it.

So far it is confirmed that hp will take palm under umbrela which is great because palm need more investors to continue their great job with web os. If it goes right steve jobs will sDDDD his pants. Jk apple is way to big to care now but later on who knows .... Everything has end . Remember vhs? How about hd dvd over blu ray. I hope webos will do tablets and laptops if they do I'm getting one the first day they come out.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimOhara View Post
    PC's and Laptops are dead, the now and future is smartphones or what ever we will call them in the future. That is the reason for this purchase.
    I agree with you. I think that PC's and laptops will always have a place in our home or office. I do think that the real growth, will be in mobile computing of some kind, including smart phones!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    why did I get this crummy macbook when I could have had an HP Envy with webOS splash-top?
    hp has rank one of the lowest in reliability surveys i hate to say.
    here is just one websites survey results

At the bottom of the pack this year is HP, with scores that run in tandem with Acer and Gateway. But HP's 7.7 out of 10 is considered significantly worse than average (SWA), whereas last year it was within in the average
    this survey is in regards to notebooks. Laptop & Notebook Ratings | Service & Reliability Survey 2009 - News and Analysis by PC Magazine
    no, it does make sense.... hp is not looking to replace the desktop OS... there will always be a market for Windows OS in servers and workplace and desktops for now.

the money saved will be in the tablet space and mobile phone space. who knows if tablets will be a hit but everybody is sure going to be putting out a tablet and if you dont have to pay for windows os then you ARE saving bucks.

and if they get webos fully featured like android or chrome os or iphone os.. it will make a great mobile/tablet OS with developers creating apps for it just like the other platforms. and they are making money on the apps.

next craze in hardware is the smartphone... not the pc. competition will be fierce and margins tight.

look at google... android phone and android/chrome os tablet... they will not abandon windows users but they are gearing up for the next high tech market of mobile devices. they will not be paying any percentage for anybodys os but their own... just like apple.

look at microsoft... laughed at the mobile market when they had it all back when they had winmo5 and their ceo laughed at the iphone... now look where they are.

Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    *facepalm*

I still don't see where you are getting the logic that you can use an embedded Linux OS to replace a desktop OS.

AND if they wanted to do true Microsoft independence, they could've done it yesterday. Just start doing what Dell did, install Ubuntu on everything.
    Last edited by donm527; 04/28/2010 at 09:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    no, it does make sense.... hp is not looking to replace the desktop OS... there will always be a market for Windows OS in servers and workplace and desktops for now.

the money saved will be in the tablet space and mobile phone space. who knows if tablets will be a hit but everybody is sure going to be putting out a tablet and if you dont have to pay for windows os then you ARE saving bucks.

and if they get webos fully featured like android or chrome os or iphone os.. it will make a great mobile/tablet OS with developers creating apps for it just like the other platforms. and they are making money on the apps.

next craze in hardware is the smartphone... not the pc. competition will be fierce and margins tight.

look at google... android phone and android/chrome os tablet... they will not abandon windows users but they are gearing up for the next high tech market of mobile devices. they will not be paying any percentage for anybodys os but their own... just like apple.

look at microsoft... laughed at the mobile market when they had it all back when they had winmo5 and their ceo laughed at the iphone... now look where they are.
    Re-read his original post. He clearly said desktop OSes.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Re-read his original post. He clearly said desktop OSes.
    Thanks

treobk214... your friggen wrong! it definitely makes sense for the reasons i stated above.

if the tablet/phone os is the major money generator in the future then they'll definitely save a ton of money on not having to pay for win7phone and tablet OS if they get webos rocking. as well as apps for their own os.

Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I think HP bought Palm because they are one of the few companies around cooler than Apple. If just a little bit of that coolness rubs off on HP, the money will have been well spent.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dandar View Post

Apple? They make nice niche equipment, but it sure is not affordable.
    Whoa, whoa, whoa.... let's not get carried away here. Apple makes fashion accessories first and foremost. The utility bits are just a bonus.

/rimshot
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    WebOSs greatest injustice was the crap hardware it was shoved onto... Maybe HP can give it the hardware to run on that it so much deserves...
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Wow, are you people clueless about quality. Where I work we have bought various HP tower computers from the D220 to the DX2000 to the currently HP 7500 and none of those computers hold a candle to Apple's Mac Pros that we also have.

Who here remembers the HP LaserJet 4? That printer was a work horse. It just wouldn't die. Now, compare that printer to the crap HP makes now, like the HP Color LaserJet 4700 series or the awful HP LaserJet 9000 series. It's like night and day.

HP builds junk just like everyone else. By build I mean they send it to the cheapest Chinese manufacturer and say "Just make sure it doesn't look like Dell"

There is only one computer manufacturer that does quality and actually has a hand in making sure their stuff is built to their specifications and thats Apple. Look on any Apple equipment and it says DESIGNED by Apple in CA.
    Any time you want to come by and check out iBook with the duct tape holding the battery compartment on, you just let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by shcole View Post
    LOL, the trolls are REALLY having to reach now....
    Exactly. This is all the evidence you need that this is a good thing; any time something good happens for Palm, the foneBoys come running onto the forum spewing Hatorade.

Sweet.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast