Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by double1 View Post
    I am not happy about this. My ex girlfriend had a hp laptop and it was crap. I mean whoever sells laptops at walmart must have something wrong with them. I feel like this is the end of hope for a pre2 and my palm pre is going to stay with me for a while. HP is a wannabe computer company and their build quality sucks. Sad day for me.
    that is probably the most ill-educated comment that i have ever seen, on any forum, anywhere, forever and throughout the universe... congrats
    build quality can't get much worse than what they currently offer in the Pre. With all the complaints of build quality and the high return rate you have to imagine Palm was already working to improve in this area for their second-gen webOS phones. HP will only bolster this effort.
    I just hope Palm takes a breather, settles down, regroups and proceeds with epic amounts of financial backing and produces a devices to be proud of.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by blazinlow View Post
    No they didnt...you can still buy brand new Compaq computers.
    Agreed, I said this in another thread too. I dunno where people are getting that Compaq is no longer sold. Not only is it sold, but HP even uses a different BIOS/boot screen for their Compaq computers (all compaq logo'd looks nothing like the HP BIOS/boot). They also still carry the Compaq logo on the mice and keyboards (pretty sure, would have to double check that, but I would give it like a 99%).

Also, it would have been much easier to phase out the compaq name then the Palm name.
    I am not happy about this. My ex girlfriend had a hp laptop and it was crap. I mean whoever sells laptops at walmart must have something wrong with them. I feel like this is the end of hope for a pre2 and my palm pre is going to stay with me for a while. HP is a wannabe computer company and their build quality sucks. Sad day for me.
    HP may have some problems with build quality, but they do stand by their products. Last year, I repaired my HP laptop on my own nickel. HP later determined there was a design flaw and contacted me offering a repair. When I told the support rep I had already gotten the repair on my own, they sent me a check to cover what I had paid.
    Jesus crap negative nancy's

HP bought Palm to back them in their future. They see the light at the end of the tunnel and they want to steal quite a bit of marketshare.

HP isn't taking over PALM - they purchased Palm. Palm remains the same, except, their now 'parent company' is HP.

Everything will continue as business at Palm.

It's advantageous to both.

1. Palm - they now have the resources possible to fulfill what they've had to miss out on, and that includes build quality and manufacturing and quality control - They now have vendors available that they didn't before. They still call the shots.

2. HP - HP just basically collects the revenues for webOS and all devices sold. They control the financials basically.
    HP built quality isn't that great.
    HTC EVO 4G
    ROOTED
    CM6 ROM
    50FPS
    40mflops
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I think it remains to be seen wo mfr's the actual hardware. The pixi for ex. was solidly built so if Palm keeps their original hardware partner maybe we can still expect new phones wit better,improved hardware.

besides shoddy computer hardware doesn't necessitate that hp/palm's phone hardware will be the same. Does hp also make printers that consistently fail? And all other product lines under the hp brand for that matter.

with everything hp is sayin about pourin money into palm's division and webos, I'm excited.
    I agree that HP has great customer service and support.
    The build quality...not so much.
    HP's mass production abilities are often the cause of major quality issues.
    If we're lucky, we might keep the current build quality, which for the most part, sucks.
    The one and only good thing is that at least Palm will have access to some deep pockets for marketing.
    The Saint
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Their smart phones and laptops have terrible build quality. Why is everybody so happy about this? HTC would have been much better.
    i dont agree
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

It comes down to personal preference guys...

Products aren't built to last. If they were, we would never need something new. It's how companies make money.

Some people buy a product, and are never happy. It's never good enough unless it's made out of gold. Others, will simply be happy with what they purchase, aren't too picky, and accept it for what it is.

It also comes down to how people treat devices as well. People are hard on things, and then complain it wasn't good enough for the sake of complaining. Yes, some products have lemons and crap out, but that's the way it is and it's the way it will always be.
    Quote Originally Posted by brennan7 View Post
    that is probably the most ill-educated comment that i have ever seen, on any forum, anywhere, forever and throughout the universe... congrats
    Agree completely.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    And again, they have multiple lines, and their business line of products is a much higher build quality than the consumer line, including in their laptops.
    Agreed.
    I have never had a single problem with HP laptops, be it consumer or business. Well, the only problem I had was that the fans eventually started giving out, but that is to be expected. I have, however, never had any good experience with a handset manufactured by HTC.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    I have yet bought a bad quality HP laptop (on my 4th)...only thing I have ever had a problem with is the LCD hinge which cost a whole $15 to fix. Everyone that is saying HP build quality is horrible is misinformed or had a bad experience because maybe you don't know how to treat electronics like a laptop or phone. If you drop it...it will break unless it's made for rugged conditions, which most are not. I fix at least 5-6 laptops a week at work because people seem to think it's ok to throw a laptop around and then complain it's a piece of crap and is broken. Hopefully HP goes the right direction with this, they have the potential in making the best phone on the market OS and hardware wise.
    In a roundabout way, HP sort of *started* Palm. The company that became 3com originally split off from HP. Then Palm split off from 3com. So really, HP is just getting Palm back after 10 years of being independent. I think this is good honestly.

Also, to anyone saying HP laptops are crap, you apparently haven't seen their business products.
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    Palm name will probably go away. Think of it: The HP Slate with Palm webOS... Yeah... HP webOS it is.. :/
    HP reminds me of the former computer maker Gateway. They started out good, but they focused so much on the bottom line that they started making junk, and then ceased to exist. I'm not saying HP is going out of business, but they use to bulid quality pc's, now nothing but junk. They will use that same mass produce mentality with Palm. Palm may become the poor man's smartphone. Nothing wrong with that, as that is a segment that really hasn't been tapped yet, but innovation in smartphone technology will be lost, and palm will just become a cheap product name.
    Quote Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
    HP reminds me of the former computer maker Gateway. They started out good, but they focused so much on the bottom line that they started making junk, and then ceased to exist. I'm not saying HP is going out of business, but they use to bulid quality pc's, now nothing but junk. They will use that same mass produce mentality with Palm. Palm may become the poor man's smartphone. Nothing wrong with that, as that is a segment that really hasn't been tapped yet, but innovation in smartphone technology will be lost, and palm will just become a cheap product name.
    This post is horrible...gateway is still around genius.
    Everyone sells at Walmart eventually! Big Deal
    Quote Originally Posted by Excal View Post
    This post is horrible...gateway is still around genius.
    Gateway went belly up twice, genius.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast