Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    Until virtual keyboards provide tactile responses, we touchtypers do *much* better with physical keyboards. {Jonathan}
    I'm sure haptic feedback would definitely help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I'm sure haptic feedback would definitely help.
    A vibration on the device when you hit any key is not even a little bit close to feeling your finger on an actual key and feeling it depress.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    A vibration on the device when you hit any key is not even a little bit close to feeling your finger on an actual key and feeling it depress.
    Who knows, maybe rim is just ahead of their time with the surepress touch technology on the storm phones...lolol
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    Who knows, maybe rim is just ahead of their time with the surepress touch technology on the storm phones...lolol
    I'm not sure I made my point clearly enough then. The biggest issue with an onscreen keyboard for a touch-typist is that theres no sense of separation between letters, and it's just a flat pane of glass or piece of plastic. So basically, even if it vibrates or presses down with surepress, it's not giving you a sense of which key you actually pressed.
    I'm not sure I made my point clearly enough then. The biggest issue with an onscreen keyboard for a touch-typist is that theres no sense of separation between letters, and it's just a flat pane of glass or piece of plastic. So basically, even if it vibrates or presses down with surepress, it's not giving you a sense of which key you actually pressed.
    That's true. I'm sure you would eventually adjust to using a VKB and be able to type at the same speed as a physical kb...
  6.    #26  
    I really want my physical keyboard. It allows me to type intensively and quickly without having to focus on the phone. I can talk to other people and watch where I'm walking.
    For a phone, I refuse to go without a physical keyboard. It's that simple. For a tablet... eh, that's different. I'd be cool with pairing a bluetooth keyboard like on the iPad- no problem. And a big virtual keyboard might not be bad. I've used the iPad's virtual keyboard and it's not too bad. Hmmm...
    I still prefer handwriting recognition for a tablet myself, with the option to hook up the external keyboard.

HP's current tablets have had great handwriting recognition, but unfortunately, that's Microsoft's doing and not HP themselves. So we'll have to wait and see what they come up with for a solution.
  9.    #29  
    Hand writing recognition... I did not think of that!
    could this mean the return of grafitti? :P
    I was told by a friend that the iPad supports a bluetooth keyboard. Is that not the case?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    I was told by a friend that the iPad supports a bluetooth keyboard. Is that not the case?
    I believe I saw an article on Engadget showing off a bluetooth keyboard being used on an ipad.

edit-
    Found it. It's not BT, but it's functional:
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/26/landscape-orientation-with-physical-ipad-keyboard-possible-thri/
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    It does, but that apparently means it's not a tablet according to the above.
    It does, but that apparently means it's not a tablet according to the above.
    Tablets are allowed to have accessories
    Touch typing means touch: I don't want to have to look at the keys when I type. I can already just about do that with my Pre's thumbboard. {Jonathan}
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    Touch typing means touch: I don't want to have to look at the keys when I type. I can already just about do that with my Pre's thumbboard. {Jonathan}
    Well, HP said they want WebOS on Tablets and Netbooks. So everyone should be happy If you need a physical KB, the netbook would be best. If not, then the Tablet would be good.
    I think they should go with a physical keyboard. That is one of my favorite things about my Pre +. Before I had a phone with a physical keyboard I always thought virtual keyboards were better but afte getting used to a physical I would hate to go back.
    I'd like to see the Pre successor to keep a physical keyboard and I do sort of like the dockable concept for the WebOS pad.

If anyone with "fat fingers" has tried playing with any of the NES or GB emulators you may understand how someone with that affliction can quickly become frustrated with being limited to just a touch screen interface. Plus I like the action to take up most of the screen and not be blocked out for space for my controls, or my fingers possibly blocking out some of the action on the screen. Plus as hard as walking in diagonals is by using the keyboard on the Pre, I find it harder to do with just the screen.
    I still believe that hardware keyboards are here to stay. I am not sure how it will come in a tablet device "Palm"-style but i wish it would still have a keyboard.
    I, too, would prefer a physical keyboard.
    Being an engineer, I have NO IDEA how it would work gracefully, though.
    i think it will be a slider mechanism of some sort. the traditional swivel screen is just not like Palm. Maybe Jeff Hawkins has an idea
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast