Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    and take down the IPAD once and for all! I love the news of HP buying palm..assuming they keep things running smoothly as I am a big HP computer supporter
    I think this is part of why HP bought them - for their slate.
    Despite the immediate infusion of more money and talent, I'm not sure webOS is ready for that yet.

One of the issues that the Pre had is that it made a bad first impression on some people. Sure, there have been a ton of great updates that have just kept improving it, but I don't think they should repeat that mistake again and release another product before it's ready.

Edit: This post was initially referring solely to a slate device running webOS, just wanted to clarify since the title has changed.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 04/28/2010 at 04:27 PM.
    that would be awesome if they did make a WebOS slate!
    My dream is an HP Slate that dual-boots Win 7 and webOS. I predicted the HP buyout a few months ago, maybe I'll be right with this one too... :-)
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I hope this ends up putting a huge dent into Apple.

Apple has become to big and anti customer for their own good. Time to take Steve Jobs down several notches.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    My dream is an HP Slate that dual-boots Win 7 and webOS. I predicted the HP buyout a few months ago, maybe I'll be right with this one too... :-)
    An HP Slate that dual boots Windows 7 and WebOS would be confusing for most users. Thats why we don't have netbooks that dual boot Windows and Android. I very much doubt it'll happen....unless someone hacks it.

I would like to see a modified WebOS slate however.
    *changes pants*
    I would be first in line for a WebOS Tablet in all of Asheville (not saying much LOL)
    plus a billion on this. WebOS tablet, plus HP money and ad power. That could actually be an ipad killer.
    Now that HP aquirred Palm hopefully we will finally get some hardware which is up to par with the software.

What tpye of phone dowould you like HP to release?

Personally I want something with a similar form factor but EVO 4G internals.
    i wish they would delay the HP slate a few months to get webOS on it. I think it was supposed to be out in June, but the sale doesnt finalize until the end of July...right?
    HP computers have always looked cheap to me but they are number 1 when it comes to PC sales. With Palm having unlimited funding now, I want to see a:

-iPhone sized slab
    -Tegra 2
    -front cam
    -onscreen keyboard (a portrait one too if its paper thin)
    -microsd slot
    -2-3 day battery life
    -user upgradable ram (or just the most you can fit)
    -OLED screen
    -desktop syncing software that automatically starts syncing or connecting when I place my phone on my Touchstone
    -plus a companion 7 inch thin slate that runs WebOS too that syncs in real time over wifi, and allows me to use one or the other depending on how I feel.

Palm has the money now. I don't want any excuses.
    I want a phone with specs that can impress me even though the Evo will have been released already. I'd like a form factor that combines Palm styling with a 4" screen and a landscape slider running WebOS 2.0. I still think it would be a neat idea to have some kind of small analog device on the left side of the keyboard to.

Beyond that I simply want palm to correct the mistakes it bade with the Pre. Rock solid build quality, and HP's money to market the hell out of it.
    I think i would like a physical, dedicated photo button too, along with Evo-esque specs. Or at least make one of the volume buttons act as a shutter when in camera mode like the patch floating around.
    I think with hp, we might actually see more media work, as hp devices are fairly media rich. We may see lots of integration with hp's media stuff. Would love a sync solution better then itunes that supports all common formats so I can put my digital copies on my phone
    I'm trying to find the correct message thread to post this question:

I read one of the blogs on the announcement of HP's buyout of Palm (WebOS) in addition to PreCentral.

The part that interests me is: 'HP doesn't seem to be particularly interested in anything but WebOS.

HP has not set a timeline for WebOS deployment on HP Hardware.' per Boy Genius

We have been talking here (at PreCentral) about Palm probably having NEW hardware in the pipeline which we were speculating was going to be released sometime around June/July.

If that is true, and HP only cares about WebOS software, do you think that Palm will move forward at this point on releasing the NEW hardware just before the buyout?

Or will we be stuck waiting for HP to design and produce new hardware for us?

I like the idea that HP is buying Palm, but I really don't want to wait another year for new hardware to come out.

Does anyone have any ideas about this, was it even mentioned in the conference?

Thanks!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Palm will obviously release the device they have planned. I'm willing to bet everything i have.

Heres why:

product should be almost done, it can make them money. Not releasing it would be a waste.

They would loose fanbase, people will move on to other platforms

They will loose devs. People are currently working on web-os, it would make no sense to ditch it now.

also hp has stated that palm will be kept as a venture inside the company. There will obviously be some changes, but i think hp will increase funding, and let palm release new phones, while they work on a tablet. Most of the work web-os needs is the same for a tablet, and phone. More apis, faster, more html5 support, more apps, better facebook integration, improved universal search.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    I'm trying to find the correct message thread to post this question:

I read one of the blogs on the announcement of HP's buyout of Palm (WebOS) in addition to PreCentral.

The part that interests me is: 'HP doesn't seem to be particularly interested in anything but WebOS.

HP has not set a timeline for WebOS deployment on HP Hardware.' per Boy Genius

We have been talking here (at PreCentral) about Palm probably having NEW hardware in the pipeline which we were speculating was going to be released sometime around June/July.

If that is true, and HP only cares about WebOS software, do you think that Palm will move forward at this point on releasing the NEW hardware just before the buyout?

Or will we be stuck waiting for HP to design and produce new hardware for us?

I like the idea that HP is buying Palm, but I really don't want to wait another year for new hardware to come out.

Does anyone have any ideas about this, was it even mentioned in the conference?

Thanks!

Rob
    If Palm learned from their mistakes. They should have one hell of a phone in the pipeline. All HP would have to do is pump some cash into the marketing and let it ride at that point.

Now if Palm was planning on releasing another great phone with poor build quality. HP could just scrap it and start over. Only time will tell.