1.    #1  
    I need to replace my trusty, but aging Palm Treo 700p. I know exactly what I want, spec-wise, but I can't find it:
    - an unlocked GSM device (no damn carrier will hold me hostage!)
    - a 4.5 - 5" screen, 800x480 res min, dual-orientation
    - 1+ GHz snapdragon or 800+ MHz Tegra2 CPU
    - support for up to 32 GBytes memory via microSD
    - HARDWARE KEYBOARD - this is the part that's giving me trouble...
    - decent camera (ideally good enough to replace my Sony DSC-90, but that's hardly likely)
    - A-GPS
    - preferably a Linux-core OS (i.e., Android or WebOS) - sorry, won't consider WinMo at this point
    - a WebKit browser
    - WiFi, hopefully n
    - Bluetooth - A2DP stereo at a minimum, but hopefully support for Bluetooth keyboards and mice as well
    - USB sync with a laptop/desktop
    - a Docs2Go -like package (not Google Docs, though - need off-line ability)

The above are my minimum specs. Ideally, I'd also like it to support video-out (HDMI or even VGA) so I can use it with an external monitor, too.

The specs are basically those of the latest-gen HTC phones, except none of the ones with that screen size have a slide-out keyboard (that I've found, anyway). Hopefully, one of you will know of a model that I've missed somewhere.

The tough part: I want this by early July at the latest, as I have a major trip planned where I'll want/need it. If I can't find such a device by then, I'll get a GSM Palm Pre Plus to hold me over until the above device materializes (ideally from Palm, as I find WebOS far superior to Android, but Palm obviously has a shaky future at this point - and they've kept me waiting long enough as it is!)

Suggestions?
    lol nice specs, I would of said just wait for the evo but you needed a keyboard
    I think it's a mistake to be so specific. In computer terms, you want a fast 64-bit processor. That's not the same as saying you want an Intel Q6600 as 2.6 GHz.

As long as the architecture supports future development (like snapdragon and Arm8) and runs software fast (and an overclocked Pre will definitely do that at 800mhz) it should be sufficient IMHO.

In other words, don't focus on the spec, focus on what you need to accomplish. Personally, I think the Pre+ comes the closest to your list. The unlock part could be tough, but the phone is cheap enough that it wouldn't worry me. It won't be long before someone figures out how to unlock the GSM Pre+, or Palm starts selling unlocked versions on their web site. They have done that before.

You can see from the phones in my sig that I came from the phone you have. The Pre has surpassed any hope or expectation I had for it. If it didn't, I would have returned it and kept using a PalmOS phone. I have a drawer full of them...
    dpaus;

Cantaffordit's advice to you is, IMO, very sound - I'd focus on what you need, and forsee what you may need you rsmartphone to do for you, and base your purshase on that, rather than specifications - many times, phones do NOT live up to thier specifications, but, if you are truly looking for phones to research, here you go:

A phone you might want to consider that is currently availabe now:

Nokia n900 (comes unlocked, GSM 3G)

The rumored Nexus 2 will have a keyboard, but it isn't released yet.

If you want to wait just a little more, you may want to check this Toshiba phone out, which was announced a while ago, and is due out any week now.

The Dell Lightening might something for you to consider, but it isn't due out until late this year.

Now, of course, we have no idea in concrete sense of what the next PALM WebOS device will be, but, there are spme significant and well sourced rumors, if you want to wait for that, as well.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

yup, nothing as of now does everything you need it to. Also like others have said don't go after specs, they let you down. Look at software, and hardware. I've reached a point where I carr alot more about software, then hardware. I use to not even care about software, I would simply look at specs. That was until I bought an archos that let me down like no other. The I started considering software. I was going to go with a touch pro, then I saw palms presentation at e3. I then went back and looked at videos of the touchpros ui, and I then realized I would prefer typing typing on a crapy keyboard, then navigating through a crapy os.
    I'd have to agree that you are gunna be limiting yourself (currently) to a total of 0 phones out right now. I'd say if you really NEED a phone immediately, the droid or pre+ are your best bet.

If the specs are really that important to you though, I'd say do what I do and wait. Other future phones have been mentioned above that will meet most if not all of your needs.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I think it's a mistake to be so specific. In computer terms, you want a fast 64-bit processor. That's not the same as saying you want an Intel Q6600 as 2.6 GHz. In other words, don't focus on the spec,
    I know what you mean; the Cortex A8 is great on the iPhone 3GS, but the very same CPU on the more demanding WebOS makes the Palm Pre a bit sluggish IMHO.

Personally, I think the Pre+ comes the closest to your list. The unlock part could be tough...
    Isn't Palm already offering unlocked GSM Pre+'s to developers? (yes, I'm a developer)
  8.    #8  
    Thanks, lots of good suggestions there. The specs are really a starting point; I'm using them to weed out the hundreds of phones I don't have time to look at...

The Toshiba is interesting, but I just can't bring myself to go WinMo 6 when 7 is coming (and 7 doesn't really impress me either...)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaus View Post
    I know what you mean; the Cortex A8 is great on the iPhone 3GS, but the very same CPU on the more demanding WebOS makes the Palm Pre a bit sluggish IMHO.

Isn't Palm already offering unlocked GSM Pre+'s to developers? (yes, I'm a developer)
    Nope...

Palm USA | Developer Phones

Only Pre Plus is the Verizon one, and only GSM Pres are the Telcel and O2 1.0.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  10.    #10  
    A bit more explanation: I've been holding out for almost a year (ever since the launch of the original palm Pre), but I have a major motorcycle trip coming up across the States this summer, and I wanted to have a music-playing GPS with integrated weather radar :-) big enough to see when mounted on my handlebars. If the Milestone doesn't work out, it looks like I may be out of luck.

Since Bell Canada, Robbers and Telus all screw their customers over royally for U.S. data roaming fees ($3/MB!!!!!!!), I may actually be better off to buy an AT&T GSM Pre+ with a one-year data plan, pre-pay it, and then simply change the SIM card when I get back. It literally could be cheaper for that 2-week trip!
    "I know what you mean; the Cortex A8 is great on the iPhone 3GS, but the very same CPU on the more demanding WebOS makes the Palm Pre a bit sluggish IMHO. "

NOT if you use Caj's superkernal at 800 mhz, it wouldnt!

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by dpaus View Post
    Since Bell Canada, Robbers and Telus all screw their customers over royally for U.S. data roaming fees ($3/MB!!!!!!!), I may actually be better off to buy an AT&T GSM Pre+ with a one-year data plan, pre-pay it, and then simply change the SIM card when I get back. It literally could be cheaper for that 2-week trip!
    You'll need to unlock the unit first. At this time the unlock is unconfirmed if it's workable on the Plus yet.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    for your trip you don't need a phone, you need a garmin nuvi.

phone screens are too small for use while driving, IMHO.
  14.    #14  
    you don't need a phone, you need a garmin nuvi
    I have one. And a Sony DSC camera. And an iPod. I'm trying to reduce the number of devices I drag along with me...