Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Hey Everyone!

As the title suggests, I strongly believe that Palm should release its next device in GSM-form FIRST.. why? It will allow Palm to get scale from the get-go.

Yes, one of the biggest carriers in the US (and potentially one of largest pool of prospective customers) is based on CDMA (Verizon). But, the fact is, the majority of telco carriers worldwide, have dumped CDMA and are currently using GSM/UMTS technologies.

SO, if Palm releases its next device as a GSM first, sure, either T-Mobile / AT&T can have an exclusivity in the US, but also, Palm will be able to release the handset worldwide at the same time .. That way Palm can take advantage from the worldwide hype when the device(s) is/are announced and launched. Palm could also sell a worldwide GSM unlocked device to those countries where they have been unable to secure contracts for sale.

Wouldn't this ensure Palm has the best possible chance to sell the most devices through its carriers?

Verizon can wait. There are far too many competing smartphones being offered there, and besides, the uptake from Verizon customers has been slow. Sprint... well, let's hope to god that Palm doesn't commit itself to an exclusivity for 6 months with them again ... Sure they have a good history with Palm, but it seriously limits palm's chances..

It was awfully painful for myself and my fellow Aussies, waiting around for the GSM version to be finally released in Germany. Let's hope Palm can realise the "scale" that they can achieve by releasing a GSM device first..

What do you guys reckon?
    Palm is a US carrier with strong relations to Sprint (part of why the pre launched with them) and a feeble relationship with Verizon both of which are CDMA then you have to remember Bell in Canada being a CDMA carrier so right there you have three carriers using the same radio type in their backyard. BUT IMO the next web os device needs to be released in gsm AND a world version for CDMA users.
    as well as sprint to date sold the most pre's and pixis (over 2million) and they had a beta product, so Palm has alot more loyal customers on sprint then anywhere else. A GSM version is smart too, but of course more then likely (almost defiently) the next phone wil be on sprint this summer/fall then keep cycling over. Also remember (and some reason people dont understand this) the pre when released with sprint was still very beta and still very early version of Web OS (they didnt even have a video cameria) as well as it was really buggy and laggy. If they would have released it any earlier then they did on verizon or anyone else they would have def not sold a thing, and it would have been the 256 ram verison with 8gig storage (which us sprint owners can live with) but no one else could have.
    Im on record as saying "NO Exclusivity" deals.

I stand by that.

Translation: Palm should simultaneously release phones for any//all carriers that want them, but without limitations for PALM to sell their devices anywhere else.

PALM should aimultaneously produce limited quantities of each type of phone (GSM, CDMA) for sale in the US and worldwide. Let the demand drive production; if the phone is a hit, they can ramp up as needed. IF not, they can adjust to where the demand is needed most, and not worry about producing too much.

I believe, strongly, that PALM lost a huge amount of sales worldwide for the Pre, bt NOT releasing an unlocked GSM version. The timing was perfect where people WERE paying heavily for phones with iPhone-like functions...

That same window of opportunity is still here, I think, but it is closing fast.. perhaps the next year or so is when it will begin to close.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    Palm is a US carrier with strong relations to Sprint (part of why the pre launched with them) and a feeble relationship with Verizon both of which are CDMA then you have to remember Bell in Canada being a CDMA carrier so right there you have three carriers using the same radio type in their backyard. BUT IMO the next web os device needs to be released in gsm AND a world version for CDMA users.
    actually bell has moved to gsm.. thats why pres are selling for 300 with no contract, and 99 bucks with a one year. (in august it was 200 for a 3 year contract). 2 year is now free.

they need an exclusive deal, but a 3 month one. So that they could get providers to advertise.
    Bell/Telus' new network is HSPA only, not GSM. Plain 2G GSM phones won't work on their network.

As for the 3 month deal, would've worked back right after 2009 CES with all the hype and Palm had the bargaining chip, now it would be rather difficult.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Bell/Telus' new network is HSPA only, not GSM. Plain 2G GSM phones won't work on their network.

As for the 3 month deal, would've worked back right after 2009 CES with all the hype and Palm had the bargaining chip, now it would be rather difficult.
    sorry, i meant hspa..

Anyways, palm needs a 3 month deal for advertisement. They have lost most of their momentum, and the best way to get it back is a new device, huge system update, and advertisement. The do not have the cash for the third without a 3 month exclusive term. It would of been like the pre coming on Verizon in September. They still had alot of hype back then.
    Hmm... Why don't they release the next device as HSPA/GSM and CDMA and not make it an exculsive at any one carrier. That way all the carriers in the US would be able to sell it as well as all the international wireless companies.