View Poll Results: WHO WILL BE PALM'S FRIEND TILL THE END?

Voters
194. You may not vote on this poll
  • ME: I'll stick by palm until the end.

120 61.86%
  • MAYBE: If they show me some improvement on their phones.

54 27.84%
  • NOT ME: I'm ready to change my phone.

20 10.31%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ego2001 View Post
    I am rolling until the wheels fall off.
    Same here, for the most part. No matter what happens to Palm I'll still have my Pre at least until January of 2011 when my 1-yr is up at Sprint.
    I, too, am a first time Palm user. I find the hardware/form factor to be exactly right for my lifestyle/needs (and have been very lucky in not having any of the hardware issues that others have experienced). In terms of OS's, I can't imagine using any of the others (I've played w/ android and iPhone, hate windows, and BB is clunky and old). So, yeah, I will use my Pre until/if either it breaks irreparably and no replacements are available, or Palm releases a new handset that I like the look/feel of.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Quote Originally Posted by cohoman View Post
    I was at the Palm Developer Day event this weekend, and they announced a lot of new capability being added to the developer SDK which will allow us to make much better apps. As such, I'm sticking with Palm and will work even harder creating new apps for the WebOS platform.

The mood at Palm headquarters was very positive among the developers and Palm engineers, and I didn't sense any "impending doom" feeling there. They really put out the red carpet for us seasoned and new developers, and as such you'll be seeing a lot more apps coming in the next few months.
    That's great to hear. I want to stay with palm, I just need to see the phone that is going to convince me I will be.

I think the fact that quite a few on this board are so antsy to see new Palm hardware is a compliment in many ways. I for one am tired of getting excited about phones from companies I'd rather not support. It's not a, "Bye Palm, I'm going to Evo unless you do better!", situation. It's a "Please Palm, give me a reason not to go to Evo" situation.
    First time palm user, and i think i will be a lifetime palm user. WebOS is just simply the best.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Krab19 View Post
    First time palm user, and i think i will be a lifetime palm user. WebOS is just simply the best.
    +2
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I've had my Pre for about a year and I'm about to switch. I've been plagued by hardware issues and am on my 3rd Pre. I absolutely love WebOS, but I'm going to wait until it's out on better device. I've heard great things about the Hero and Android 2.1 going to try that out for now.
    I'm in it for the long haul. With sprint .. I question the intentions and support provided by them. If I have to swap carriers to stay on board .. then I'll consider it.

The tweaks/patches on WebOS have made this phone sick (that's a good thing for all you doctors out there). I am constantly being challenged by friends and family about their phone capabilities .. with the 800mhz o/c, Tether, and all the others .. I give them a run for their money.

Although I am envious of some of the features of the other phones ... just wait till the Flash finally pushes out for WebOS.
    I'm all in. I really don't care about the stock price, or the possible sale, the phone has what I need: Perfect form factor, effortless multitasking, Touchstone charging. No other platform has all three, and any phone I have from now on must have all three. And that's just the tip of the iceberg of what I love about the phone.

Droid has speech to text, guess what, I don't want everyone in the office learning about what I'm sending in an email. iPhone has tons of apps. That's great. For my work I have all the apps I need. And there will be lots of great Android phones released this summer, and I'm sure they'll be great, and fast and shiny with lots of animations, but my workflow has increased a hundred percent, and that's all I care about.

If I wanted a phone that was just a shiny toy, I'd probably change phones every six months. But for my work, the Pre ROCKS.
    I've had four previous Palm devices. While the hardware issues with the Pre led me to choose the Pixi, I've never felt like it was a starter smartphone. I don't game or need wifi, so those limitations didn't affect me. I love WebOS. It works smoothly and efficiently. I have very little lag and I rarely have to restart. I usually do so once a week as preventative maintenance. I will stick with Palm to the bitter end if it ever comes.

I would like to see a new device with the Pixi form factor with a little larger screen. If the phone was as light as the Pixi, it could be a little wider and longer and still be very pocketable. I love how I can put the Pixi in a shirt pocket and not know it's there. I was in the Apple Store the other day and picked up an iPhone. It felt like a brick compared to my Pixi.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    There is not anything I don't like about webOS or the Pre. I don't see the end coming, all this talk is just a bunch of "the sky is falling" mumbo jumbo. Are they struggling, sure. But they are rolling out the best op system I have ever seen on a mobile device. I am looking forward to a great future with many webOS devices.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    There is not anything I don't like about webOS or the Pre. I don't see the end coming, all this talk is just a bunch of "the sky is falling" mumbo jumbo. Are they struggling, sure. But they are rolling out the best op system I have ever seen on a mobile device. I am looking forward to a great future with many webOS devices.
    "Everything's fine" people are just as bad as the "sky is falling" people. I tend to listen to people who enjoy the platform, but are willing to admit its short comings.
    webOS = Palm for life. The fact that they even have a future projected roadmap and aren't just going "Well **** what do we add this version...?" Is really proof that webOS has far to go and I'll stick with them til the end!

Plus, I'm locked into this 2 year contract so I'm hoping they'll at very least release a new device sometime halfway into my contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by Babadi View Post
    It's not a, "Bye Palm, I'm going to Evo unless you do better!", situation. It's a "Please Palm, give me a reason not to go to Evo" situation.
    i completely agree. i was never a fan of android but if something doesnt happen w/ webos soon i might jump ship..
  14.    #34  
    That's great to hear. I want to stay with palm, I just need to see the phone that is going to convince me I will be.

I think the fact that quite a few on this board are so antsy to see new Palm hardware is a compliment in many ways. I for one am tired of getting excited about phones from companies I'd rather not support. It's not a, "Bye Palm, I'm going to Evo unless you do better!", situation. It's a "Please Palm, give me a reason not to go to Evo" situation.
    well said... I'm hoping in the near future palm won't let us down.
    Quote Originally Posted by dud386 View Post
    I've had my Pre for about a year and I'm about to switch. I've been plagued by hardware issues and am on my 3rd Pre. I absolutely love WebOS, but I'm going to wait until it's out on better device. I've heard great things about the Hero and Android 2.1 going to try that out for now.
    +1, unfortunately. I'm afraid the HTC Incredible is going to make me crazy coming from WEBos, but I just can't take this double typing and half-broken slider.
    I'll stick with Palm until the end... of my contract, i.e. October 2012. I got an O2 Pre and could scarcely be happier; what I'm missing now is Shazam (going to be there in just a couple months) and an office suite. Both not deal breakers.

I've had some major Oreoing in the beginning, but haven't had any issues since then; my biggest gripes with this phone was never the phone but O2, who tried to fraudulently screw me out of 150 by returning my "repaired" phone with a fat, deep scratch in the display. Luckily I had proof that THEY scratched it up, and they ended up replacing the display as well. After almost two months.

This is my first Palm device and I hope it won't be the last; since I'm not emotionally invested at all, I must say that I could hardly care less about actually getting another Palm device as such - but I would seriously be bummed out if there was no webOS device I could go with for my next handset, even if it's called the McDonaldsPhone by then (weekly free hamburger code app would make it outsell iPhone, especially in America)
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    "Everything's fine" people are just as bad as the "sky is falling" people. I tend to listen to people who enjoy the platform, but are willing to admit its short comings.
    For me, and I was speaking about me, I am completely satisfied with the platform and the hardware where they are today.

Looking forward to the mic access, or other improvements, as webOS improves, for me is something to look forward to, not a sign that the ship is sinking.

Oh, and perhaps you missed the point where I mentioned that they were struggling as they rolled out the platform, not the talk of a "everything's fine" comment.

Um, do anything you can to find someone you THINK is a blind follower and put them down? Sounds like you are in fact one of the sky is falling disciples, go worship at their alter.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
  18.    #38  
    Has i stated in all my threads... everyone is entitle to his/her own opinions. I can't wait for palm to make there big announcement about their new phone... just to read you'll comment.
    The way I look at it, Palm and Apple are the leaders in phone hardware and software. At the moment Palm is a little behind but with the new OS Palm has the best foundation to work on. Apple has never been for me so it looks like I am sticking with Palm. I have been there for years and I see no reason to leave now. Palm lives.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    I am not a true technophile. For me, technology is a tool to enable productivity, not a means to an end. I became interested in Palm years ago, and the more I used one, the more my emphasis has been personal organization. Considering the wonderful interface of webOS, and the amazing functionality of the homebrew apps developped by members of PreCentral (Checkbook, Shopping Manager, MoreStocks, etc...), I cannot for the life of me imagine getting an iPhone HD this summer. For personal productivity, webOS is the best, and the PDK will only improve this.

Of course, Super Monkey Ball would sweeten the deal. ^_-

I'm confident Palm will be fine once they release a device with high Quality Control and better specs. The Pre (even the Plus version) is simply not powerful enough for webOS. A faster processor, a bigger screen, better build quality, as well as an eventual webGL acceleration of the GUI will truly make Palm shine again.

Fall will be quite interesting indeed.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast