Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    After many hours with Cingular and HS tech support, no one seems able to figure out this problem. Maybe you can...

I've had my 270 for 8 days: The first 3 days I could make and receive calls. During that time I'd get various reception bars (from zero to 4) depending on where I was, as you might expect. Also, Cingular was able to send my 270 an SMS with the phone number so everything worked as expected.

Then all of a sudden I could not make or receive any calls (it has been that way for the past 5 days). What's odd is that now I consistently get 3 bars of reception no matter where I am (and the 270 knows its on the Cingular Wireless network).

I've done numerous hard and soft resets. Yesterday (at different times) I got a new phone number and then a new SIM card from Cingular, neither of which changed anything. Still the same 3 bars of reception with no ability to make or receive calls. The one consistent behavior is that when I try to dial out, instead of the phone saying: Dialing... (and try to make a call) I always and immediately get this error screen:

Network Error: The network could not complete your call. To try again: wait a few moments, the tap Redial. (There are Redial and Dismiss buttons on the screen.)

Cingular tech support says it can't "see" my phone on the network. They also said they're putting up 2000 new cell towers in California and that may be the problem, though I don't see how. It's just really odd the phone now gets consistently good reception, knows it's on Cingular Wireless but can't make or receive any calls at all.

At this point I'm thinking there's just something wrong the the 270 itself but I'd love to hear thoughts on potential fixes while I wait for Cingular Tech Support to call me back.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Turns out HS has heard of this problem (where the "Can't connect to Network" error pops up immediately even though there's ample signal strength) although it's very rare, according to one tech support guy there. So, step 2 is to have HS send and then install The Radio Files. These 2 files (ResetRadio.prc & SdrvDirectRadio.prc) are supposed to fix the problem after a hard reset.

But, they didn't. Instead I got a Serial Error. So I'm now waiting (once again) for HS to call back for "further diagnostics after someone researches the problem."

Thankfully this is my third Palm device in as many years so moving files out of the backup folder manually and managing all the conduits so they don't start resyncing is second nature. But if this were my first experience with a Palm device I'd be significantly more frustrated that I am now. (At least I can do a hard reset easily, which was always tricky with my V and Vx.)
    Well, Rowan, I know how you feel. My wife's 180 started doing that a couple of days ago. We have each had one since March. Mine works - her SIM card works in mine, my SIM card doesn't work in hers.

She gets the green blinking light, but no signal bars. It won't dial or anything, just errors immediately like yours.

We have sent an email to HS to ask for help. Just sent it today, though.

Good luck. Holler if you get a fix.
  4. r_b
    Hi guys,

I just had this same problem 4 hours ago! this is why I am here now.

Try turning wireless on without the SIM!!!??? it will still turn on and it will tell you that there is a courer and signal!!!!

I still did not try a hard reset, but a soft and worm reset did not work.

please update me of what happened,

RB
  5. r_b
    thanks to Mr. R, I got the ResetRadio.prc & SdrvDirectRadio.prc files and they worked perfictly.

thanks R

Our situation was that the SIM card from another, working, Treo would not work in this one, and the SIM card from this one would work in another. And the green light blinked the whole time.

HS is sending a replacement.
    Originally posted by rowan
    But, they didn't. Instead I got a Serial Error. So I'm now waiting (once again) for HS to call back for "further diagnostics after someone researches the problem."
    Did you had your radio turned off when attempting to run the prc file? I ran into the same problem - I turned the radio off to remove the SIM and then tried running the application immediately. Problem solved as soon as I turned radio back on.
    I too have the same error - I am in Palo Alto on Cingular, and for me it started happening when I traveled to New York and was roaming in Voicestream. Since then, if the phone loses reception then goes back into a reception area, I can no longer place or receive calls, and trying to place a call gives the same network error described above. If I turn off the wireless mode, then turn it on again, everything works until I lose reception again.

I called tech support and they told me there is no fix for this problem, and they would send me a replacement unit (at no charge).
    I received a new treo in the mail, but the new one does the same thing! Has anyone heard anything else about this? The tech support line doesn't seem to know much...they said they have a lot of reports of it happening in Florida where there is more than one GSM service provider; but I am in the San Francisco area and we only have Cingular. (well, we have t-mobile now as well but they are on cingular's network).
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Over the past two weeks I've been in the process of getting a new phone as a result of trying the "Radio Files Fix" and discovering it does work but in a kind of a half-assed way. This software fix seems to correct the problem but there's sort of a lack of "robustness" to the fix. I say that because I now have a new Treo 270 that works quite well. I can even get service at my house which I couldn't before (and am even getting better reception than I ever did with AT&T). So I would say to anyone who is being told by HS that the problem can be fixed with The Radio Files that you make a very critical examination of before and after the fix because I never felt those files did any much more than work around some larger problem. (I had to jump through a lot of hoops to get HS to replace my phone but eventually they did.)

Keith2: I'm in Los Angeles and will be using my phone in New York (Brooklyn and Manhatten) from July 27 to 30 so I'll let you know what happens (although I'm leaving for Brazil from NY for 3 weeks so I may not be able to tell you until I return).
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Also, another thing I wanted to do but thought about it too late (I'd already returned my Treo) was to compare Firmware Revision Numbers. I'd like to invite everyone who has had problems with their phones to list their rev numbers here, perhaps there's a cut off at which this type of problem goes away.

To locate the firmware revision number, go into the Phonebook. Under the Option menu select Phone Info. You'll get an information window with your phone number, "IMEI" and "SA" numbers (anyone know what those mean??) and finally the Firmware Rev number.

Mine is 1207444

What's yours?
    I also ran into this problem on the Treo 180 (i.e. always getting the "Network Error" screen when trying to make a call).
    I've had my Treo for less than 2 weeks. I called Handspring and they e-mailed me the radio reset program and that solved the problem. Does anyone have any idea what exactly causes this problem to begin with? My Firmware Rev is the
    same as Rowan's, 1207444, but I'm not sure what this number signifies. If anyone learns the source of the problem, or anything else about it, I'd be interested to know. So far it's the only difficulty I've had with the Treo (although I was annoyed today to find that Amazon is now selling it for $149 after rebate instead of $199, after I rushed to buy mine before the old rebate expired!), but
    I'm glad to know it's not just me!
    Same hither. T180. Opened the box Saturday. Beautiful. Monday, after a forced reset of the OS locking up - no more Flip, no more network. The radio programs didn't do squat.

Just got off the phone with support, and they have a new one on it's way (Adv. Replacement, no charge.). This has been admitted by both guys I talked to as a problem.

I just want it to work. Even after only 3 days of use, it's so hard to go back to my Pro/VP ;P
    One further piece of information from Handspring regarding this issue: Once fixed they claim this problem will not occur again, as the radio reset files upgrade certain software on the Treo. Anyone had this problem happen twice? Personally I'm leaving the reset files on my Treo just in case.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Originally posted by bananachunks
    Just got off the phone with support, and they have a new one on it's way (Adv. Replacement, no charge.). This has been admitted by both guys I talked to as a problem.
    Please post the Firmware Rev number of your Treo before you send it back (see my earlier post on how to find that). This will help all us hapless end users a little. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Originally posted by beltho
    Personally I'm leaving the reset files on my Treo just in case.
    Yeah, so am I (even on my replacement which hasn't had the problem, so far).
    Relating to my earlier posts...I went out and bought a new SIM card and I haven't seen any problems since - I had a very old Pacific Bell one.
    I had the same issue. It happened after I tried to "top off" the battery using the car charger (which is the "official" one, bought through the HS web site). I got the green light but had the same network error message.
    In addition, the treo battery started to discharge at an incredibly fast rate (25% in 2hs with wireless off & the treo not in use) and went down to nothing twice.
    I called HS support, they sent me a beta version of the "radio fix". One day later it looks like it fixed both problems -- the flip connction window is back, signal strength is normal and I can make calls, *and* the batter seems to be holding its charge as normal. I'm a little bummed I was charged $20 by HS for the phone support (I thought bad battery = warranty replacement), as this is not available through the web site.

Jordan