Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35
  1. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    Palm already has an os that "keeps up with the big boys". They need the hardware to go with it. Lets just face the facts that out selling the top brands is not likely to ever happen, still it doesn't mean that palm can't survive. They can!
    It doesn't keep up in the most critical fashion - nobody is buying it. I simply can't see how they can turn that around with a single or two new devices - especially once the big Windows 7 marketing push starts.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    Palm already has an os that "keeps up with the big boys". They need the hardware to go with it. Lets just face the facts that out selling the top brands is not likely to ever happen, still it doesn't mean that palm can't survive. They can!
    The fact of the matter is, WebOS was supposed to be Palm's savior – their last and only hope; IF, and that's a big if they release new hardware in the next 6-12 months (I highly doubt anything before then, and even that is pushing it), they are already very behind in the market.

    Convincing the masses to switch from the big hitters (Apple, Google and Microsoft) will be difficult. Not to mention, can they get more developers on board.. that's another large contributing factor. WebOS hasn't proven to be a lucrative ecosystem for any developer.
  3. bdog421's Avatar
    Posts
    513 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It doesn't keep up in the most critical fashion - nobody is buying it. I simply can't see how they can turn that around with a single or two new devices - especially once the big Windows 7 marketing push starts.
    So if palm can't out sell apple,htc,moto,bb,winpho7 and all others they are done? They are selling, just not at the rate the world seems to want them to and they don't need to out sell those brands to remain viable in the game. I hope they can do some kind of merger and get alittle more backing, but still stay palm and webOS.

    Shoot after seeing those winpho7 photos leaked, I'm thinking they are going to need something more then marketing, ugly stuff,no wait.....mother fugly stuff.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    So if palm can't out sell apple,htc,moto,bb,winpho7 and all others they are done? They are selling, just not at the rate the world seems to want them to and they don't need to out sell those brands to remain viable in the game.
    How about at a rate to keep them afloat? What the world 'wants' seems to not be Palm/WebOS, otherwise they wouldn't be in their current situation.
  5. bdog421's Avatar
    Posts
    513 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    How about at a rate to keep them afloat? What the world 'wants' seems to not be Palm/WebOS, otherwise they wouldn't be in their current situation.
    Palm's not said much about being broke, that's all the analyst's saying they are, all palm(or ruby) says is they can still go it alone, but would sell to the right suitor and contends it still has a plan to reach profitability. I'm not in denial that palm is all fine and dandy, just doesn't look like they are even close to being done as company. Maybe when I see more key people leave palm, then we can start to agree on palm's demise.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    Palm's not said much about being broke, that's all the analyst's saying they are, all palm(or ruby) says is they can still go it alone, but would sell to the right suitor and contends it still has a plan to reach profitability. I'm not in denial that palm is all fine and dandy, just doesn't look like they are even close to being done as company. Maybe when I see more key people leave palm, then we can start to agree on palm's demise.
    But you're completely looking past the big picture here. It's not about them dying off next week, it's about them making changes so they don't dye off period; given the direction they're currently heading we all know what the end result will be if changes aren't made.
  7. bdog421's Avatar
    Posts
    513 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    But you're completely looking past the big picture here. It's not about them dying off next week, it's about them making changes so they don't dye off period; given the direction they're currently heading we all know what the end result will be if changes aren't made.
    Hmm, we'll just have to wait and see then, won't we. After all were just specks of sand on an endless beach. What we say and think means very little till somebody is actually right.
  8. cooknn's Avatar
    Posts
    388 Posts
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    The Pre _was_ supposed to be that second wind. And Palm was in a much less competitive market when they announced it.
    Why do you suppose they called it the "Pre"? Somehow I doubt that it was supposed to be their second wind. In my opinion it was the device that came before the flagship. Hopefully they survive long enough for us to get our hands on it.
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
  9. glenada's Avatar
    Posts
    777 Posts
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    HTC is gunna regret this in a few years when all the other os'es are figting for scraps and webos dominates the market with the c40 and c40+!!!!
    You're living in a dream world.
  10. #30  
    My two cents:

    When HTC said "the numbers didn't work out", they were probably comparing the cost of fighting off Apple or to buy Palm for their patents and countersue Apple.

    Don't know who came up with the idea that HTC wanted webOS. It made no business sense for them when they have a free one and another that they licensed and threw development into already.

    But of course analysts only present part of the story, so investors would panic and sell, then some good news come along and it'll rally again. That's the trend I've been seeing. Remember: if stock prices don't move there's no money to be made.
  11. #31  
    the prob is that it's probably hard to justify 1.3 billion for the company.

    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    My two cents:

    When HTC said "the numbers didn't work out", they were probably comparing the cost of fighting off Apple or to buy Palm for their patents and countersue Apple.

    Don't know who came up with the idea that HTC wanted webOS. It made no business sense for them when they have a free one and another that they licensed and threw development into already.

    But of course analysts only present part of the story, so investors would panic and sell, then some good news come along and it'll rally again. That's the trend I've been seeing. Remember: if stock prices don't move there's no money to be made.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    the prob is that it's probably hard to justify 1.3 billion for the company.
    And you didn't get my point. I'm not saying whether Palm is worth it or not, what I'm saying is in HTC business view it doesn't work out.

    Hypothetically speaking, if Apple sued HTC for 5 billion (made up number so don't quote me for it), do you think it's cheaper to buy Palm for 1.3 billion, dismantle for patents and countersue, or just let Apple sue and drag on with all the lawyer fees, and potentially losing that 5 billion?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    Palm's not said much about being broke, that's all the analyst's saying they are, all palm(or ruby) says is they can still go it alone, but would sell to the right suitor and contends it still has a plan to reach profitability. I'm not in denial that palm is all fine and dandy, just doesn't look like they are even close to being done as company. Maybe when I see more key people leave palm, then we can start to agree on palm's demise.
    The thing is, Palm's "plans" aren't the only part of the picture that must be complete for them to be successful - even in fifth place. You have to have carrier support, a robust app ecosystem, content partners...it's not enough to be differentiated simply by having a pretty awesome OS, no matter how much Rubinstein says it is.

    That's not enough by a long shot. Even if Palm gets the hardware right and somehow delivers some amazing total package in the next 4 months, they have to essentially restart app development, start from scratch with amazing ads, and then get all of the carriers who currently have Android as their flagship (all of them...except AT&T) to back their new play with promotional efforts that match.

    Oh, and pull that off in the midst of the biggest year for smartphones in recent memory with Microsoft, Motorola, HTC, Samsung, and Apple all fighting for the same promotional dollars, app support, and mindshare.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    What about just licensing the OS? Although they have their hands full with WM and Android.
    That sounds good...hope they do something soon..
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    HTC is gunna regret this in a few years when all the other os'es are figting for scraps and webos dominates the market with the c40 and c40+!!!!
    Dream on!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions