Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Palm was never a hot seller for Bell. If you look closely, Bell is more of a Samsung house. Their launches for the Omnia II was pretty big, as is all the QWERTY text phones. It got worse with the launch of the HSPA network when their reps flocked to the iPhone and 9700.

Which I never know why Palm stuck with launching on Bell. Look at the Centro. They made a mess out of it. I barely see any Centros in Canada.

If I was Palm back then, I would have approached Rogers. With the launch of the HSPA network, Rogers lost exclusivity with the iPhone, and they might've seen the opportunity and help Palm out. Rogers could've marketed the Pre with the Rogers brand and the Pixi could've went to Fido, as a counter for both Bell and Telus getting the iPhone.

Which is why I'm glad Caitlin (the VP of Carrier Marketing) is now gone.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Palm was never a hot seller for Bell. If you look closely, Bell is more of a Samsung house. Their launches for the Omnia II was pretty big, as is all the QWERTY text phones. It got worse with the launch of the HSPA network when their reps flocked to the iPhone and 9700.

Which I never know why Palm stuck with launching on Bell. Look at the Centro. They made a mess out of it. I barely see any Centros in Canada.

If I was Palm back then, I would have approached Rogers. With the launch of the HSPA network, Rogers lost exclusivity with the iPhone, and they might've seen the opportunity and help Palm out. Rogers could've marketed the Pre with the Rogers brand and the Pixi could've went to Fido, as a counter for both Bell and Telus getting the iPhone.

Which is why I'm glad Caitlin (the VP of Carrier Marketing) is now gone.
    I'm also glad the marketing person left.. Should of been fired months ago.

anyways, i've felt my internet speeds increase. A youtube video use to be impossible for me to load, now it goes way faster then i can watch it. Sure i now have the unthrottle patch, and the 800mhz one, but i felt it get faster before that. i think it's all the users going to the new network, has freed-up the bandwidth on the old one.
    So Almost $700 for it with no contract, I hope i have enough when it comes out. And i too am also glad that Caitlin left. Lets hope palm and bell work things out this time around.
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    I'm also glad the marketing person left.. Should of been fired months ago.

anyways, i've felt my internet speeds increase. A youtube video use to be impossible for me to load, now it goes way faster then i can watch it. Sure i now have the unthrottle patch, and the 800mhz one, but i felt it get faster before that. i think it's all the users going to the new network, has freed-up the bandwidth on the old one.
    Data speeds was never my issue. In fact the data speed got me looking into switching to CDMA. Played with a demo unit in Eaton, and it was noticeable faster than my E51 (my E51 does HSDPA on Fido). I did a benchmark side by side with an iPhone 3GS on Fido and my phone beat it.

Calls not connecting, missing SMS messages and incoming MMS not working were my issues.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

Data speeds was never my issue. In fact the data speed got me looking into switching to CDMA. Played with a demo unit in Eaton, and it was noticeable faster than my E51 (my E51 does HSDPA on Fido). I did a benchmark side by side with an iPhone 3GS on Fido and my phone beat it.

Calls not connecting, missing SMS messages and incoming MMS not working were my issues.
    Totally agree with you. The speeds on my pre beat that of the speeds from my friends iphone 3gs on rogers. My problem too is the late / mixed up texts as well as the signal penetrations (due to my school, CDMA waves do not get in, but GSM/HSPA waves will)
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Quick interjection here: The Palm Pre was one of Bell's bestselling phones from it's release to the debut of HSPA after that sales hit a nadir. That's why there's sales desperation - a decent amount of unsold inventory remains but not as much as how things are going lead you to believe.
    That's not what I heard actually. Bell's batch got the same problems with Sprint's, and the stores got tired of pushing them because they got so many returns. Also used as an attack point by the iPhans on RFD.

In fact the store I went to told me they have tons of stock to replace for me, mine went back twice. Both Bell stores in STC admit they have trouble selling them.

I thought Bells exclusivity was only 6 months?

Why on earth did Palm sign for longer than that lol
    Rogers is GSM. And Palm focused on North American CDMA for good reason. It's the biggest and most popular format. And it's true, the launch of the Pre wasn't a total disaster. I'll bet the Pre sold better than the BB Storm. But Palm needs to win over sales reps. They really do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    Rogers is GSM. And Palm focused on North American CDMA for good reason. It's the biggest and most popular format. And it's true, the launch of the Pre wasn't a total disaster. I'll bet the Pre sold better than the BB Storm. But Palm needs to win over sales reps. They really do.
    Can't compare. The storm was on Bell and Telus.

CDMA, US maybe, I don't see how so in Canada. Almost everyone I know uses Rogers or Fido.

Well,

One person will say it went bad, where others will say it didn't. It's all perspective I guess. People tend to now compare launches/hot sellers to the iPhone, and if it doesn't match their sales then it's an automatic fail

Which is another thing.. Palm never said it wanted to compete against Apple's product or take the lead.

Anyways, a few weeks ago I was calling around local stores to just check store stock (I was bored at work) and it almost seemed like majority of the non-big mall stores didn't even carry stock and had to order them in.

So that makes me think.. how could it possible be such overflow of inventory? If they had access, they'd distribute them for these 'promos' to clear out

I don't know. I guess we'll wait and see what happens and hopefully *fingers crossed* I can get my GSM version of the Plus

I'm trying hard Toni, not to join the dark side of CDMA lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    ... And Palm focused on North American CDMA for good reason. It's the biggest and most popular format.
    It's a close race anyways between GSM/CDMA in the states.. these are the numbers roughly

GSM in US - 120.4 million
    CDMA in US - 140.9 million
    Can't compare. The storm was on Bell and Telus.

CDMA, US maybe, I don't see how so in Canada. Almost everyone I know uses Rogers or Fido.
    my wife went rogers htc dream (read nightmare) i went palm pre, she would switch in a heart beat if the penalty wasnt so bloody high. she has to wait for a bit yet.
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
    I was on Fido before getting my Pre, didn't have major issues other that that stupid Fido MobileMail problem. Registered me when I don't even have a compatible phone, kept sending me cryptic SMS at the middle of the night. Then kept blaming me for not buying a phone from them and refused to help.

hmm

Anyone think that maybe this device this rep was talking about wasn't even the Pre+.. Maybe it's the new device that Palm plans on launching?
    Want to bet an eBeer that it is a Pre Plus?
    Want to bet an eBeer that it is a Pre Plus?
    lol but why would Bell be so secretive about a Pre Plus?

I can see Telus, but Bell already has it
    Would you buy their overstocked Pres now if you know the Pre Plus is coming next week?

Would you buy their overstocked Pres now if you know the Pre Plus is coming next week?
    You raise a valid point sir.
    hahaha
    Gah
    Why can't they just release the darn thing
    I'd like to know how much stock they left over lol
    When I talked to a Bell rep three weeks ago, he told me that what killed the Palm was all the hardware defects and software bugs. Also, he told me that it was a hot seller before the new network arrived. The timing was really bad.

The good thing is that they will seriously push the Pre Plus when they get it, since it will be the GSM version. I am also hoping that Telus and Rogers will have it soon after.

I might very well get the Bell Pre Plus myself, but the screen is so small (I use my Palm as an ereader), that I might as well wait for the C40. Unsure at this point.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast