Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Krab19 View Post
    time to save up. Hspa pre+ here we come

EDIT: will it be hspa or hsdpa?
    HSPA and HSDPA are essentially the same thing.

It will be HSPA

The only difference are speeds. HSDPA = 3.6 mb/s, HSPA is 7.2 mb/s, and HSPA+ is 21 mb/s
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    HSPA and HSDPA are essentially the same thing.

It will be HSPA

The only difference are speeds. HSDPA = 3.6 mb/s, HSPA is 7.2 mb/s, and HSPA+ is 21 mb/s
    Nope...

HSPA - High Speed Packet Access
    HSDPA - High Speed Downlink Packet Access
    HSPA+ - Evolved HSPA

HSDPA actually refers to the fact that the device can do high speed downloading but not uploading. Most phones are HSDPA.

Speed is irrelevant in those terms. Nokia has quite a few 10.2Mbps HSDPA devices.

Most laptop cards and USB sticks are HSPA, and can do both high speed uplink and downlink.

HSPA networks can run both HSPA and HSDPA devices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Speed_Packet_Access

Also, the Pre Plus actually uses the same modem as the Pre, so both does 3.6Mbps.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Sounds interesting, I doubt it'll be any other than Pre Plus and/or Pixi Plus though, I can't see Palm launch a new phone world wide. It'd be great if they did but trying to support it would be pretty hard for such a small team.

I'm waiting at until at least July to see if Palm release a new phone otherwise I'll definitely be looking to get a HSPA Pre (Plus) whether it means unlocked from TelCel, AT&T or Bell. Bell would be ideal, I would have more luck getting a discount (hopefully better than dev-program phone discounts).
    I would jump in a second (well, assuming the price isn't too scary). I'm happy with the Pre and not so happy with Bell, in general. Getting HSPA and GSM would be way sweeter. I'm tired of the crappy CDMA network. (Yeah, I know that the calls are supposed to be clearer, etc). Still, give me a shot an evolved Palm WebOS phone on HSPA and I'm seriously thinking about a birthday present to myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reallynice View Post
    I work as a rep for Bell. Earlier this week, a Palm rep visited my store (while I wasn't at work) and said we should be expecting a new HSPA device from Palm. He couldn't say more, so we don't know if it will be a Palm Pre+ or a whole new phone. We don't know when either, but by the looks of it, Bell is getting rid of their Palm Pre inventories to make room for it. And they are being pretty aggressive in both phone pricing and plan pricing for new clients. I hope it comes out sooner than later, at least before the new iPhone...
    Oh my goodness, didn't anyone tell you that teasing is cruel?

I'd be more than fine with an HSPA Pre +
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    This is great news. By the sounds of all the negativity around Palm I didn't think we would get a chance to get a Palm Pre Plus until we saw some rebound from Palm.

Can the OP tell us whether the Bell launch of the Palm Pre went as badly as has been rumoured? I have three other colleagues all with Bell and all with the Palm Pre and loving it! Two switched over from Rogers just to get the Pre!
    id sure as hell like to get the pre plus.. but i paid 200, got a sweet deal on my data as well.. talk time is good.. not great.. but if it meant loosing the package to get the new phone,,, ill wait until end of contract.. the pre is a damn good phone.. now.. all they need is a way to edit docs and spreadsheets.. but im finding that is not as big a deal anymore... so if open comes along or google docs can be done on phone ill do it that way.. but im happy bell is gettin the pre plus...
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Since I have a sweet deal with a bunch of loyalty upgrades (double minutes, $10 discount, unlimited data) , I'm not giving up this plan for the new phone unless it can drive my car and wash the laundry.

But I've had mine since September so a free exchange is right out of the options.
    PalmPilot Pro --> Palm III --> Palm V --> Palm 505 --> Treo 700p --> Palm Pre
  9. Bai
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    got mine end of march w/ the $10 off per mth, 6mth free local call, void all fee promote, oh well. Like it alot and hope bell can now sell more palm.
    Ok so I'm a dummy about these carrier formats.. I'm using a Bell CDMA Pre right now, and it's working "ok"..

..what would an HSPA phone do differently? Faster? More coverage??
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicMan View Post
    Ok so I'm a dummy about these carrier formats.. I'm using a Bell CDMA Pre right now, and it's working "ok"..

..what would an HSPA phone do differently? Faster? More coverage??
    Different standard altogether. From what I heard the HSPA coverage of Bell/Telus is much better than Bell CDMA and Telus CDMA. Practically they overlayed the network and combine it.

EV-DO (i.e. CDMA 3G high speed) gets you downstream speed of around 3.1Mbps, HSDPA on the Pre gets you 3.6Mbps downstream. Theoretical numbers of course, although so far data rate my Pre edges out my friends iPhone 3GS on Fido, but I'll have to see again once I get my Pre Plus on the HSPA side.

Another major advantage of UMTS/HSPA is that voice and data simultaneous. On the Pre, if you have a call, your data stream is halted and resumed once completed.

UMTS uses SIM cards, CDMA uses ESN built into the phone and needs programming. If you ever want to switch your phone, you can use anything as long as the HSPA bands are matching and the phone is unlocked. Good luck getting a Telus CDMA phone working on Bell. It won't, and even if you flash it, they'll ban your account.

Man I'm starting to sound like Barry with his uber long posts.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    This is great news. By the sounds of all the negativity around Palm I didn't think we would get a chance to get a Palm Pre Plus until we saw some rebound from Palm.

Can the OP tell us whether the Bell launch of the Palm Pre went as badly as has been rumoured? I have three other colleagues all with Bell and all with the Palm Pre and loving it! Two switched over from Rogers just to get the Pre!
    Yes the Palm Pre launch was well under the expectations. I think the main reason was that the publicity only began after the launch. Most people walking in a store have never heard of it, and when they come for a smartphone, they look at the iPhone or Blackberry first.

Since Bell has a big amount of unsold Pre's in their inventories, I was surprised to hear that they should be getting a new phone from Palm. (probably ordered a lot less of the new phone?)
    I blame it on it being a CDMA device. Launching a flagship CDMA device then 2 months later launch a brand new network, who would get an unknown new device on a network that's going to be phased out while you can get the all familiar iPhone and BlackBerry on the new network that is going to be the future path?

If Bell worked with Palm to get the HSPA version instead it would have been a lot better. Would've made a good splash too, new device on a new network.

I know Bell said the CDMA network isn't "dying" and they are "continually investing in it", it gives the perception it is. And the CDMA network's rep not that great, and I concur.

Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I blame it on it being a CDMA device. Launching a flagship CDMA device then 2 months later launch a brand new network, who would get an unknown new device on a network that's going to be phased out while you can get the all familiar iPhone and BlackBerry on the new network that is going to be the future path?

If Bell worked with Palm to get the HSPA version instead it would have been a lot better. Would've made a good splash too, new device on a new network.

I know Bell said the CDMA network isn't "dying" and they are "continually investing in it", it gives the perception it is. And the CDMA network's rep not that great, and I concur.

I agree, and they just dropped any advertising for the Pre when they got the holy grail iPhone.

They said they had quite the buzz when it first launched, but... what can you do.

Hopefully they do get the Pre Plus. I went online had this conversation yesterday with a rep:

A chat representative will be with you in about 0 minute(s). Thank you for waiting.

Chat representative Tiffany has joined the session and is ready to help. To start, please provide your name and home phone number.

Tiffany: Hello, thank you for visiting bell.ca. How may I help you today?

K: Will Bell be offering the Palm Pre Plus?

Tiffany: Yes, Bell may offer in future.

K: Do you have a timeframe? will it be HSPA?

Tiffany: Sorry, I don't know the exact time frame.

K: Will it be HSPA?

Tiffany: Yes.

Tiffany: Is there anything else I can do for you today?

K: No thanks. I appreciate your help

Tiffany: It has been a pleasure helping you out today. Thank-you for choosing Bell and using Bell.ca for your self-serve solutions.

Tiffany: I would invite you to fill out the survey at the end of this chat as your opinion is very important to us!

Tiffany: Have yourself a great day!
    Take that with a grain of salt. These reps usually just copy from a script.

Try asking for some other random phone and I'm willing to bet their answer is still "Bell may offer in future". Note their choice of word.

Take that with a grain of salt. These reps usually just copy from a script.

Try asking for some other random phone and I'm willing to bet their answer is still "Bell may offer in future". Note their choice of word.
    lol i know i know
    trying to get as much hope as possible hahah

i'm trying hard not to cave for the cdma version
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    i'm trying hard not to cave for the cdma version
    Join the dark side... we've got cookies. You know you want a free Pre with 10/month discount.

Join the dark side... we've got cookies. You know you want a free Pre with 10/month discount.
    +1, we gots the bestest cookies EVAR! but back to the original topic. Does anyone have an idea what the price of this thing (off contract) is gunna be?
    If the Pre now has dropped to 299.95 off contract, IF (I'm saying if) Bell does get the HSPA Pre Plus it'll probably be the same price off contract, i.e. 599.95.

Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post

Okay... the truth is, and it's not pretty... the reason why the Palm launch went poorly is that Palm has had a bad rep with Bell sales reps for a while now. As Palm declined, the quality of their phones declined. The more returns they get, the worse it is for the sales rep. Bell sales reps were cautious about the Pre, and when it became clear that the Pre has the same build quality issues (I know I know, I have a release day Pre too, but we all know the issues with the phone, and no need to rehash them here.) sales reps dropped supporting the phone. It's really that simple.

Bell did put some advertising into the phone, but truth be told, you don't need a ton of advertising if you have every sales rep in your store taking you to the hot new phone when you walk in the door. If Palm is going to get a second shot at life, they need to build a phone with rock solid hardware. The staff can change, the stock price can go up and down, but Palm must assure sales reps all over the world that they will not have to eat the price of the phone because their customers returned it.

I'm a Palm loyalist, and I really want them to succeed, but this is the final game of the Stanley cup. They better bring out the offense and put the puck in the net or else...
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast