Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    Perhaps the debate is PREmature as the higher 960x640 Iphone4 resolution has not be officially confirmed. But if this is the way Apple goes, would Palm be smart to follow or stick with the more widely used 800x480 which seems to be about all devices now. Android is everywhere with 800x480, WinMo7 will be 800x480.

There is an interesting short read on some of the potential benifits of 960x640 here. It also describes some of the downsides of AMOLED 800x480.

Apple has the Ipad to consider also for developers so a higher res Iphone may have more benefit for them while Palm has no such worry. But one of the Pre's only strengths at this point is the ease of porting Iphone apps to it. Does it help that cause to keep pace and match Iphone's resolution? Or is there more benefit to being one in the crowd of 800x480?
    Last edited by cdjh; 05/01/2010 at 08:13 AM.
    Thanks Sorli....
    it would be easy to get the new iphone apps ported if palm keeps the same resolution, right?
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spot3981 View Post
    it would be easy to get the new iphone apps ported if palm keeps the same resolution, right?
    Well that's my thinking. But I'm no developer. So maybe someone who knows more than myself can comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdjh View Post
    Perhaps the debate is PREmature as the higher 960x480 Iphone4 resolution has not be officially confirmed. But if this is the way Apple goes, would Palm be smart to follow or stick with the more widely used 800x480 which seems to be about all devices now. Android is everywhere with 800x480, WinMo7 will be 800x480.

There is an interesting short read on some of the potential benifits of 960x640 here. It also describes some of the downsides of AMOLED 800x480.

Apple has the Ipad to consider also for developers so a higher res Iphone may have more benefit for them while Palm has no such worry. But one of the Pre's only strengths at this point is the ease of porting Iphone apps to it. Does it help that cause to keep pace and match Iphone's resolution? Or is there more benefit to being one in the crowd of 800x480?
    I believe if Palm wants to 1UP Apple they should just go to a 720p 4.1" display. If Apple uses a 164ppi on their current iPhones and Palm uses a 180ppi, when Apple upgrades their iPhone to a screen with a 315ppi Palm would have a 291ppi using 800x480 on a 3.2" display which is lower than the iPhone. To meet the demands of consumers for a large display and high dpi, 720p on a 4.1" would give Palm the upper hand being able to claim such a high dpi as 358ppi and be able to claim the title of first mobile with 720p. They also trounce Apple by actually having such a large display.
    Apps can just be scaled up to fit the new display because ya' know devs are going to have to do that anyway if Apple introduces their new iPhone with its big new resolution. 720p would also attract developers to the platform.
    Higher res screen = need for hardware that can push pixels.
    I like the idea of the higher res screen, but if it were the difference maker between smooth and choppy in 3d, and 2d rendering, I'd say stick with the lower of the two.
    640x960 is great cause all current apps will work, except that every pixel will be shown 4 times. But it makes porting original Iphone apps easier to.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    960 x 640. that 800 x 480 doesn't make any sence.
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iMando View Post
    960 x 640. that 800 x 480 doesn't make any sence.
    800x480 makes great sense if you want to match up with Android and Winmo7. I think at this stage, apple is still the one you want to follow. For at least a few more years every great app will be written for Iphone first. I don't envision a day when Andriod gets an exclusive Gameloft release first.
    One must remember that higher screen resolutions will require greater CPU (and, of course, if the device has one, GPU) power, as well as battery life to support them.

Im not necessarily for or against the higher resolutions in smartphones currently, as long as the performance of the device does not suffer.

In time, smartphones will be using processors that are equivilent to lower end desktop PC processors, and the battery technology will have improved to a point that it can support those processors, and the required cooling systems for them to work, but currently, we arent there yet.

There is a REASON that the iPhone is so snappy: its got a nice processor in it and it has a low resolution display; how did they still pull off those great looking graphics?

A nice glass screen with a slight diffusion to it to artifically "anti-alias" (that means to smooth out the jagged edges) the graphics.

One more thing: The reason the iPhone will never really multitask (aside from PALM's patent on it) is because trul multi-tasking hogs the CPU time and accelerates the depletion of the battery's life.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    800x480 would almost certainly be more economical as well. I'd love to pretend that Palm's financial struggles are over. But even a wealthy parent company needs to see good profit or they will meddle in the business too much. So Palm would likely be able to turn a better profit using the lesser resolution. I want to see the higher res, but I'm not convinced we'll get it. Especially since Apple won't officially announce what they have until it will most likely be too late for Palm to change it. At least I hope Palm has a device that close to release.
    All we need is for Palm to put a dual-core Snapdragon CPU and an Nvidia Terga 3.

I know that 99% won't happen but I can dream...

Oh don't forget smooth 720P playback over HDMI while I'm at it.
    OK - LET'S HEAR IT - why go 800x480?

Could Palm be licensing Zune? - Might be a nice way to make nice with MS?
    800x480 is probably pixi, while the 960x640 is palm pre-2. I frankly rather have 720p, one step ahead of everyone.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    800 x 480 will help them to woo some Android and WM devs IMO, and 960x640 will help them to keep up with the game. So technically they need both resolution devices...until those 720p and 1080i/p devices come out
    I was just about to open a thread similar to this. Why on Earth would Palm go to 800x480 when they have control of both the hardware and software (a la Apple)? 960x480 would make far more sense coming from 480x320.
    I think any resolution / screen size increase will be welcomed. At 800 x 480 it would be much closer to 16x9 so video wouldn't be stretched or come with black bars. Also by going from 3:2 to 16:9 it allows the screen size to grow slightly larger without having to be so wide. I'm hoping for around a 3.8" size. I think I'd prefer an 800x480 AMOLED to an LCD 960x640 too especially with the touchstone and the coming exhibition I'd like the blacks to be really black when it's sitting next to my bed. Right now I turn the display to brightness of 1 and it's still a pretty big night light.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    SuperAMOLED 800X480 is the cream of the crop. The only screen I've seen come close is the ips on the iphone4. The 24 bit color, the best viewing angles and the insane contrast ratio is what makes the superAMOLED the best hands down. I hope by the end of 2011 we have a superAMOLED 4in with res around 1200x720, that's all I'll need in my phone. Just put any galaxy S phone next to a droidX or evo and you'll know what I'm saying.
    I think 800x480 or960x640 would be great but we hav to think of time of release... If were looking at a feb.- april launch day then I think it would be needed to go higher rumors among samsung and others are 720p - 1080p cutting edge tech. Is what we need palm needs to stop playing catch up.. Cuz everytime they get there they get 1 uped a month later so I think at least a 720p or higher( if poss) would be good and be a good attention graber for new smartphone seekers and devs...
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Definitely 960x640. Everything will scale nicely and it's the same aspect ratio as the Pre.
    "Visits? Well that would indicate visitors."
    "Future events such as these will affect you in the future."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast