Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 89
  1.    #1  
    FT.com / Technology - Palm pledges to survive as an independent

    Mr Rubinstein said Palm was working “fast and furious on new handsets”. “We do have a strong pipeline of products in the future,”.
    Last edited by notaphonegeek; 04/22/2010 at 08:04 PM.
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
  2. #2  
    Releasing WebOS to other phone makers could be a really good move to get the OS out there more. That's what Android did and it seems to be working.
  3. #3  
    They can work as quickly and as furiously as they want, as long as they deliver a product that is rock solid and a worthy adversary for their competition.
  4. #4  
    I really wish this man would stop speaking.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Armchair Commando View Post
    They can work as quickly and as furiously as they want, as long as they deliver a product that is rock solid and a worthy adversary for their competition.
    There has been rumor of a pre 2 or "c40" for a while now, so I think that many of the hardware problems should be fixed (though I've had none). I consider many of us Sprint users beta testers for whats to come. I certainly hope I'm right.
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
  6. mrkalel's Avatar
    Posts
    739 Posts
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I really wish this man would stop speaking.
    Why?... What has he said that any other Exec wouldn't say in his postion?... I for one feel that he is keeping me confident in pulling for Palm....
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    Why?... What has he said that any other Exec wouldn't say in his postion?... I for one feel that he is keeping me confident in pulling for Palm....
    I agree, I want him front and center to reassure us that Palm will survive in some form or fashion. I also liked the fact that he stated that they're working on new handsets. Thats a very good sign!!
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    Why?... What has he said that any other Exec wouldn't say in his postion?... I for one feel that he is keeping me confident in pulling for Palm....
    Because this is a man who has made misstep after misstep. And rather than taking responsibility for launching a half-baked OS on cheap hardware with an inadequate development environment, he blames poorly trained salesmen and Verizon having the temerity to launch Droid.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Because this is a man who has made misstep after misstep. And rather than taking responsibility for launching a half-baked OS on cheap hardware with an inadequate development environment, he blames poorly trained salesmen and Verizon having the temerity to launch Droid.
    Though some of what you say is true, the pre and plus versions are still some of the best phones on the market. I have to admire the fact that he will stand up and continue to talk to the media.

    I just wish he would give a hint about the "new devices".
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I really wish this man would stop speaking.
    I really wish you would stop speaking.
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 04/22/2010 at 09:49 PM.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  11. kd0axs's Avatar
    Posts
    282 Posts
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    #11  
    Yes, it would be nice if they would give a little hint as to what is in the works.

    BTW...Did you happen to read the last line of the article?

    Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2010. You may share using our article tools. Please don't cut articles from FT.com and redistribute by email or post to the web.
  12. Queueyou's Avatar
    Posts
    80 Posts
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by notaphonegeek View Post
    FT.com / Technology - Palm pledges to survive as an independent
    .....[etc]..... Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2010. You may share using our article tools. Please don't cut articles from FT.com and redistribute by email or post to the web.
    -1.
    You had the balls to not only copy it and post to the web, but to also copy the part that says "do not copy this and post to the web"
  13.    #13  
    Thanks hopefully I wont get sued.....Fixing now
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Queueyou View Post
    -1.
    You had the balls to not only copy it and post to the web, but to also copy the part that says "do not copy this and post to the web"
    LOL, I was so excited about "The Big Man" mentioning new handsets, I didn't even finish reading the article.....

    http://blog.internetnews.com/apatriz...alm%5B1%5D.jpg
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Because this is a man who has made misstep after misstep. And rather than taking responsibility for launching a half-baked OS on cheap hardware with an inadequate development environment, he blames poorly trained salesmen and Verizon having the temerity to launch Droid.
    And, of course, that opinion completely ignores the fact that he was instrumental in taking a company that was destined for failure, and turning it around.

    I didn't see anything talking about Verizon specifically or the Droid. There is no doubt that there were many employees of vendors that were poorly trained about the Pre, and very lacking in knowledge of it.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by notaphonegeek View Post

    I just wish he would give a hint about the "new devices".
    No offense, but why the heck would he? He's releasing the plus on networks right now. It would screw them over in the long run by releasing secrets on the next models of the phone before the current ones are even out.

    Think about it. They have problems with excess inventory as we speak (or at least had, we don't know right now). You release the Plus on ATT, O2, Vodafone, China and maybe a couple more but say "oh wait.. here's our upcoming device" which leads to more excess inventory, a longer approach thus hurting palm more come the next quarter.
  17. #17  
    I like how he said "handsets" and not "handset" I'm looking forward to what handsets he's talking about...
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    And, of course, that opinion completely ignores the fact that he was instrumental in taking a company that was destined for failure, and turning it around.

    I didn't see anything talking about Verizon specifically or the Droid. There is no doubt that there were many employees of vendors that were poorly trained about the Pre, and very lacking in knowledge of it.
    Turned it around? Uh, haven't WebOS sales dropped every quarter since launch? That's pretty much the same direction they were headed in before, but he managed - to his genuine credit - to get a legitimately modern and capable product to market. That's an achievement, not a turnaround. Most decisions since then have been responsible for the same faltering direction as before:

    - Horrible advertising
    - Creating a second, comparatively-gimped handset to be the equivalent of the Centro without realizing that market segment didn't really exist anymore since competition was so furious that top-tier handsets like iPhone 3G and The HTC Hero would be in the same price range as "junior versions".
    - Not completing the SDK - even 10 months after launch, APIs are still missing for developers
    - Not launching the PDK in a timely fashion
    - Failure-prone design of the Pre and - to some degree - the Pre Plus (e.g. horrible placement of the USB port, problematic battery compartment, too small/weak battery, flimsy power button, etc., etc.)

    That's about six more mistakes than a company in their precarious position can afford to make.

    He can keep making excuses about Verizon employees being "poorly trained", but the fact is they were well-trained...to sell the Droid. They did this to the exclusion of ALL other smartphones, not just the Pre Plus. They slighted the Imagio. They slighted Blackberries. They slighted the Omnia 2. Palm needed to sell the Pre with effective advertising and defining of the benefits of WebOS. They never did. That's their responsibility. Verizon's responsibility is to get people to sign contracts.
  19. #19  
    I completely agree the reliability of the hardware is completely his fault.
    /s

    Oh and having a smartphone OS and SDK this far in progress after 10 months , compared to the iphoneOS which took forever to get copy and paste. his fault.
    iPhone 1gen august 2007- may 2010
    Repaired: headphone jack twice. Buttons and back cover once. Screen has a crack.

    Palm Pre Plus may 2010-now

    LOVE IT
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by cursiv View Post
    I completely agree the reliability of the hardware is completely his fault.
    /s

    Oh and having a smartphone OS and SDK this far in progress after 10 months , compared to the iphoneOS which took forever to get copy and paste. his fault.
    and yet the iphone sold millions in that first year completely bare compared to the pre's sales even with it's SDK progress.....sales tell the story.
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions